cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is bead catalyst? Interesting jar.......

What drew me to this little jar is that it is Calso.  I'm in New Jersey and if you find anything, its most likely Esso.  I'm just not sure what exaclty bead catalyst is?  Is it automotive?  Where would you put it?  What does it do?  I couldn't find another one like it while searching the internet and I've never seen anything like this?  

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

The idea of a catalytic converter goes back to the 40s I believe.  The original design was a series of beads coated with the rare metals.  The original GM converters of the 1975-1979 era used just such a design.

By the time that catalytic converters came into mainstream, the patent had long run out.

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

I was doing a bit more research and read about the history of catalytic converters.  I read that the early coverters had beads held in place with steel mesh on one end.  Over time these beads would wear down.  I am assuming this jar I have are those beads that were used on early converters, but I may be totally wrong?  

I was wrong about Calso.  Calso was the name Chevron started using in the mid 1940's in the Northeast market (i.e. New Jersey).  Calso stations in the Northeast were all converted to Chevron by the late 1950's and I am assuming any products were no longer using the Calso name.  All of that being said, I am guessing this jar of beads was sold in the 1950's.

In any case, I think it is cool.  It's glass and I don't have anything else Calso.

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

Some converters back in the 70s or so used beads.  There was a round plug on the bottom of the converter to drain them out if need be.

I can't say that I've ever heard or seen of the Calso product you have.

Message 4 of 4
latest reply