cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Circular saw... 7" vs 7 1/4"?

I just got a reminder that vintage circular saws came with 7" blades and modern ones are 7 1/4". I can't find any basic blades for just cutting wood in 7". I'm wondering if a 7 1/4" blade will fit a 7" saw. Maybe they just rounded down in the old days?

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Re: Circular saw... 7" vs 7 1/4"?

You're lucky to get a sensible reply to a car question here, don't expect one about carpentry. Go to https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

He is probably using a 7 1/4", that is so old, that it is worn down to 7". New century, new blade.

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

They make 6 & 1/2" blades.... I think Freud ones, sold at Homeless Despot are 'upposed to be good; and there's quite a selection of 6.5's on Amazon. (If ya get the Freud, just don't make a "Freudian slip" or you'll cut yer finger!)

Gotta love them old tools. I have a big ol' Milwaukee drill, which can't be any newer than the '50s. Darn thing is amazing. Used to have an ancient Crapsman saw, too- just changed the brushes once every decade or so, and they never wear out!

Been looking to get some new rechargeable tools....but they can keep this "brushless" computerized junk!

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

That is very helpful. A 6.5 blade will surely fit. It may reduce the cutting depth but I wasn't planning to use on thick lumber.

The 6.5's cost more then 7.25, less blade for more money but I guess it's the high volume of sales on 7.25 that drives the price down.

The ole tools are for sure good. I had to lend a contractor I hired a drill when his broke and he asked "where did you get this, the whole thing is made out of metal?"

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

Yeah, Johnny- I have one of those little limp-Richarded 5.5" saws, and on a good day, it'll cut clean through 2-by stock....so 6.5" should be pretty good, unless yer making 45* angle cuts 'n stuff.

Pay more...get less blade- sounds like politicians are manufacturing 'em!

I was looking at tools in Lowe's yesterday..... Everything brushless; no metal in sight! Everything plastic. I can't see paying the prices they're asking, for disposable plastic junk. The few old corded tools I have, li9ke that Milwaukee drill, an old man had rescued them from a scrap metal place- lubed 'em up and put new brushes...and now they've lasted me 30 years!

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

I'm still using my old metal Milwaukee drills. I have a couple of them. I still have a couple worm drive skills saws too.

Todays tools are junk!  I'm doing the bright work on that wood boat I'm restoring and decided I needed a new mini belt sander. Bought the first one on this site used. It was a Rigid variable speed.  Received it, tried it out with no problems. Didn't use it again for a couple of weeks. Next time I used it, it lasted about five minutes and quit. Didn't over work it. Never over heated. Barely used it.  No fixing it with out spending forty bucks for parts.

Decided since I want this project done I'd just go buy a brand new one. Couldn't find anything comparable so I ended up buying the same sander new. I made sure I sent the warranty stuff in because of the last one. Didn't need the warranty. It ran for two minutes and quit!

Took it back to Home Depot and got my money back. Finishing up the job with my forty year old Craftsman. It's a bit heavy but it never ever quits!

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

I have some vintage power tools from my grandfather. They don't have fancy features but you pull the trigger and it does the job even if you just wiped ten years of dust off it. I'm old enough to have seen almost every modern power tool I bought fail when something 50 years old can finish the job.

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

Mike & Johnny,

The young sprogs today probably wouldn't believe that there actually used to be a time when a contractor or tradesman could buy a tool, and it would last his entire career- and then get passed down to his son! Today, even the contractor-grade stuff, if ya get two or three years of even light occasional use out of it, you're lucky!

And if it breaks once it's out of warranty? There's no throwing in a $10 part, or taking to a fix it shop for $20. Now one part costs $80-$100, and it would cost more than the price of the tool to have someone else repair it...and then something else would just break a week later even if you did.....

The modern cars are the same way. Even if the bodies and engines hold up (Which will no longer be the case, with all of these small 4cyl. turbo-charged engines pulling around heavy vehicles) there are so many microprocessors, even the stealership service departments have to just guess half of the time- and once it's out of warranty...good luck with that- and junkyards will be of no use, since the processors don't age well, especially out in the weather...and are often sub-model and option-package specific, so good luck finding what ya need a few years down the road, even if it somehow is still viable!

The disposable society....

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

Ya forgot to say, Get off my lawn you whippersnappers!

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

Hey! Wha? Oooo! Don't mock yer elders, or I'll cut me a switch and give ya succcch a beatin'! That's the trouble with the country today! Ya long-haired hippie!

(Watch the mods take this seriously and send me on vacation!)

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

To Alabama?
Message 12 of 13
latest reply

No, a magic mountain in eastern Tennessee! I just hope there's no line for the No Brakes Funicular, and that the tractor-tipping ride will be open this early!

Message 13 of 13
latest reply