cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buffer, Polish and Wax - Recommendations?

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have a 2014 Mustang 5.0 in what I think is called "Deep Impact Blue". It's showing the fine, swirly scratches in the paint pretty bad. In the morning and evening it looks fine but out in the sun it's looking pretty sad. I was considering having a detailing service deal with it but my thought is that the money I give them would likely buy all the stuff that I need to do it myself. Plus...it's a keeper. I'm planning to keep it so down the road I could use this stuff again.

I'm no stranger to rubbing out and polishing paint....but much more on motorcycle tanks ad fenders.

I have always done these by hand as the shape and overall size more or less dictates it. 

So I reckon the Mustang could benefit from a real buffing from a real buffer. Anyone have any recommendations on both a Buffer and any certain products? Dos and Don'ts? I am especially interested in good brand name and rpm for a Buffer? Which type buffing heads? And most especially which products such as polish, wax, etc., that will provide the best results. Swirls look very fine and only on surface of the clearcoat. Think it's something I can fix armed with the right stuff.  Thanks - 96

Message 1 of 31
latest reply
30 REPLIES 30

Re: Buffer, Polish and Wax - Recommendations?

I totally agree with Tony on this one too.  Leave it to a professional.

There is so much to know, and if you screw it up you'll be spending a lot more than the $100 or so (depending on the size of the vehicle and condition of the paint) that a professional would charge.

Message 16 of 31
latest reply

@legitimate_bidder wrote:

Hey JR, howsabout some of that clay bar stuff for Mr. Hogwart? I've never tried it, but from what I've heard about it, the clay fills in the slight imperfections which make up swirls and scratches, leaving the finish perfectly smooth, so that the wax which is then applied just looks smooth and perfect.

The claybar will remove contaminates from the surface of your vehicle and they do very well. There are lots of us that have classic cars that have used it with very good results. It's time consuming, but will not get rid of scratches in the paint. 

As for machine polishing and buffing, just not a fan of it. Using 3 different rubbing compounds, its still removing the top layer of paint and it's not going to get rid of the swirls. The only time we machine polish/buff is after new paint is applied and it's color sanded with 2500 to 3000 grit sandpaper. Then we will apply by hand a wax that will also remove the swirls made by the buffer. 

I've seen very few people, professionally or amatuer, that can properly buff any vehicle. Regardless of how you buff it, there will still be swirl marks from the rubbing compound used. I still suggest waxing it by hand with a good wax a minimum of once per month or paint the car. There is a much finer grit in wax, whch is why it will take some time.

Message 17 of 31
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@jr-41ford - Going with applying the Collinite and polishing by hand. Have a half dozen Meguiars Super Shine microfiber towels coming as well. Any suggestions for good polishing rags jr? 

Also switching to blow drying - no more terry towels. I already have a high quality Air Force blow dryer I use on my bikes. 

I have been hand washing the car in the driveway since I purchased it and using towels to dry it. I ran around the car in pretty much the same pattern every time. The scratches in some areas aren't swirls at all. Like the decklid...the scratches run from one side to the other 'cuz caveman was drying with towel from one side of the decklid to the other.....doh! And they just seem to run around the belt line too. Cuz the guy drying the car ran down one side, accross the decklid and down the other side......

So going to try proper care with wax by hand only for next few months and see how it goes.  Scratches seem very fine and this Collinite is suppose to work real nice. Should have everything by this Friday so this weekend it's a go.... - 96.

Message 18 of 31
latest reply

Tsk, tsk, tsk. What ever happened to just rubbing 'er down with some good old automatic tranny fluid to "restore the paint"? 😉

Message 19 of 31
latest reply

Tsk, tsk, tsk. What ever happened to just rubbing 'er down with some good old automatic tranny fluid to "restore the paint"? 😉

How about Lemon Pledge?

I very seldom ever wash my classic cars. In 17 years that I had owned the 1941 Ford, I bet I never washed that car more than 3 times. I use Dri Wash 'n Guard Classic Waterless Car Wash, very easy to use.  After 3 applications, the surface of the vehicle becaomes very slick. Towels, cats, people slide right off. Before put anything on the cars, blow them off with compressed air and use a plush micro-fiber cloth for applying and wiping off stuff.

Since your paint is scratching very easy, wondering if there was any or enough hardener added to the paint/clear? It shouldn't scratch that easy.

Message 20 of 31
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

Very dusty here. Everyone is washing there car weekly it seems. I should have been waxing her this whole time too. I got cats too......this car is my daily driver. My '50 F-1 and my Harleys stay indoors (garaged). They stay clean for months. The Mustang needs to be washed weekly. Lots of wear and tear I suppose.

@legitimate_bidder - Funny you should mention that old trick Libby.....that goes back like 65 years....if I remember correctly well-used, worn and softened, cloth diapers were the towel of choice. You must be about in diapers now BTW although probley the modern kind. I bet that must really %$#%! you off!!! - 96

Message 21 of 31
latest reply

Worked for me a few months ago.

01.jpg

Message 22 of 31
latest reply

Ahhh...I remember those old Panther-body Lincolns.  They were top of the line for their day and quite easy to sell.  I probably sold 20 of those and they were outstanding rides.

Message 23 of 31
latest reply

It gets dusty where I live, including lots of new home construction going on in every direction around me. I do not put on car covers, they will grind the fine dirt and sand granules into the paint. I just park mine in the garage, windows down so I can reach in and pop the doors open.

You could always do a good rinse with the garden hose or wash, but not dry at a self car wash, then bring it home and apply a good wax on it. Like I said previously, something doesn't sound right with the paint scratching so easy. several applications of wax will help protect your car.

Message 24 of 31
latest reply

@Anonymous

Now that ya mention it, I think yer right about the diapers.....errr...as far as them being the "micro-fiber cloths" of the past. I may have to start mugging little kids...... (Being sure to wear a Ronald McDonald costume or some such; I mean, I wouldn't want to scare them, as that would render the diapers unusable. )

@atikovi

Oooo! Nice Ling-colin!

Message 25 of 31
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

No! No! No! @legitimate_bidder - No LB. Stay away from the little kids. Look.....you can get 3 nice microfiber towels for 5 bucks. If you scare the little kids in your Ronald McDonald suit, you're looking at 3 to 5...years.  Besides they're all in modern, plastic, last 500 years in a land fill, diapers anyway. I for one cannot imagine any of the young kids having babies today dealing with the work and effort involved with cloth diapers.  It would kill them.

I like you LB....you're a good sport and drive a Ford. But this Ronald McDonald suit idea of yours has me concerned. Very, very concerned....... 

Oh, my Collinite should be here tomorrow.  Saw nothing but good reviews on that stuff (including yours which actually triggered the purchase). I can't wait to give it a try. I didn't see a single review for Type F or Dextron however laughing - 96

Message 26 of 31
latest reply

@Anonymous

3-5? Ay-Eeeee!!!!! I'd better stick to more serious crimes, like removing the little tag from that says "Do Not Remove" from mattresses, and refusing to bake cakes for the weddings of those with "alternative" deathstyles......'cause the big ones are easier to beat; like that time they said they'd have me shot at sunrise, and they couldn't do it, 'cause i don't get up that early!

Yeah, what was i thinking? Parents can't even cook for their kids anymore....like they're really gonna go the extra mile for cloth diapers. I think the last time I saw [or rather smelled] cloth diapers, was when I was a kid, and my older sister had 'em for her youngest. I remember the diaper pail in the bathroom. Might as well just have a nuclear waste storage facility in your house! Ya wonder why I never wanted kids?

Awww, you got the REALLY good Collinite. I have the 476S. I think yours is better, 'cause it costs more, and like Archie Bunker said That's how ya know what's good in America; it costs more".  (I just wish they'd give ya a little more in the can; I gotta be pretty miserly to give my Excursion one coat with one can....and that's only if I don't do the roof!)

Message 27 of 31
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

Update - Ebay Motors Class Project - Let's Polish a 2014 Mustang

So I got a chance to start polishing the finish on the Mustang. I  washed the car last evening and used the blow dryer. It took a bit of time...maybe ten minutes but the blow dryer had some neat features that I really liked. You can blow dry wheels and brakes, grilles, blow the water out of side mirriors, etc. The one I have makes quite a bit of pressure so I have to be real careful, but that sucker blow dries windows so nice. I'm going to use it for dusting the car off between washes. No more terry towels for drying. With the car washed and dried it would be ready to go in the morning.

I got out nice and early...7 a.m. , the weather couldn't have been better. After days of '80's and '90's it was quite cool this morning and overcast. Even looking like rain for a bit. So  I set out...microfibers in one hand, bottle of polish in the other.

I noticed that Meguiars has several products geared toward polishing clearcoats before waxing. Some are even meant to be applied by hand.  I picked up some Mirrior Glaze Swirl Remover 2.0 and I'm glad i did. This stuff is great. It cuts very slow and mild - taking two applications just to remove water spots.  I started with the driver's side and in about an hour had it done. Taking time to polish the seams and edges, around the badges, everything. To the hood line and the trunk line. With one application I would say the swirl marks are easily less than half of what they were. I was able to remove a few cat scratches as well. It took maybe 4-5 applications of polish and buffing but it did remove them. 

I got the hood finished by 10 a.m. or so. It has the louvers in the hood. What a pain but I polished and detailed both sets. The hood had the swirls the worst on the whole car and here again I would say I reduced them by more the half. Some places they are gone altogether.  

So it's 10 a.m. , I got 3 good hours in the car. In true California fashion, it's now sunny and 80 degrees. So I must wait til this evening to comence. I have decided to take my time on the polishing and not rush right to waxing. I think the car would really benefit from a second overall polishing and that's the plan. More to follow...... - 96.

Message 28 of 31
latest reply

it's got issues at the moment.

Message 29 of 31
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks jr....ya I gather that. Other Ebay forums having issues as well.  I sense an update is in the works. - 96

Message 30 of 31
latest reply