cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bidder asks if I would take Paypal for the entire sale price, $10K+

He said he would pay the $300+ fee but I told him no. Seeing that vehicles aren't covered by Paypal buyer protection, should I reconsider? They could still do a credit card chargeback but don't think that works on vehicles either.

Message 1 of 29
latest reply
28 REPLIES 28

Re: Bidder asks if I would take Paypal for the entire sale price, $10K+

Fix It Again Tony?! Shoot! Give the guy anything he wants, just don't a live one get away!!!

Message 16 of 29
latest reply

atikovi

Two of the cars I bought on ebay I used paypal to pay for the whole thing one is the 56 chevy the other is the 61 galaxie.

I found it alot easier to pay and not have to wire money or put a deposit down.

The other thing I did was first ask each erson if they would do and both found out how much the fees where and I included them

The other thing I got a notice from paypal telling me that titled vechiles there is no charge back and I had to sign a  paper saying I know that.

Message 17 of 29
latest reply

Hi rfrennier!

I know you have been around Ebay for a long time. I was just wondering how long ago your purchases were?  I think Paypal making you sign something so that you were aware of the no charge back thing is a good idea. I had never heard of that.  I was just wondering if that was a new thing,  maybe since the break up of Ebay and Paypal? Or an older rule that may not still apply? They are always changing things around!

Message 18 of 29
latest reply

Hi corndog

Been trying to reply to you and also say I was on the phone last night when I posted and did not proof read what I wrote.  Tried editing and kept getting a pop up telling me I time out. Then I been getting a redbox telling I dont have Java hope I got it figure out.

OK now on what i did I bought the 61 around 5 years ago and the 56 around 3 years ago.

If I was to buy another car on ebay I would still do it the same way by using paypal on the whole thing it so much easier.

You have no deposit no wire transfer no checks no seller holding you car for 3-4 weeks after they get there money because they are scared of all the scams.

When I bought these cars through paypal i had a business account with paypal but I donot think that matters what so ever.

The OP all he has to do is call paypal and ask them if his buyer has the means to pay for the car in full.

Paypal will tell him yes or no.

The way I am reading what the OP posted I think the buyer already called paypal and found out what the fees where because I donot think $300 will cover all the fees by using paypal. I almost positive I paid $300 on the fees on the 56 but it was worth it.  The guy I was dealing kept talking about not going through with sale it was his first time selling a car on ebay.

hope this works didn't know java is not allowed in edge.

Message 19 of 29
latest reply

If PayPal makes ya sign something, I believe that would just be to acknowledge that there is no buyer protection. It still would not stop someone from doing a credit card chargeback, as that is between them and their credit card co. and PayPal could not control it; nor does PayPal fight CC chargebacks.

And the way it works now, PayPal would not even be aware that it was for a vehicle- their system would just see it like it was any other transaction.

The outcome just depends on the honesty of the buyer.

Message 20 of 29
latest reply

Um not sure what you are talking about doing a chargeback my account and I always thought everybody else payapl accounts are linked to a checking account not a charge card.

A person would have to be stupid to use a credit card to buy a $10,000 car using a credit card.

Also credit card company tell you there is no charge backs at all on a tilted property.

A person could try doing a charge back but once the bank started to investigate they would drop it.

Message 21 of 29
latest reply

"The OP all he has to do is call paypal and ask them if his buyer has the means to pay for the car in full.

Paypal will tell him yes or no."

How would Paypal know? They might know what amount of $$ you  presently have in your Paypal account, but you might be using a credit card,  which would tell them nothing about whether they had the means to pay or not. And if they somehow know your bank account balance, that could be off off as well if you had just sent a lot of checks/payments out that had not been reconciled yet. I can't see Paypal wanting to be responsible for giving someone that assurance.  But maybe things are different for business accounts.

Message 22 of 29
latest reply

when you start going over a certain amount of money paypal makes you fill out all kinds of stuff it like a loan application.  Not sure about others but I can spend up to a certain amount and it is guaranteed by paypal.

Message 23 of 29
latest reply

Ah that makes sense.  Must be the business part of Paypal. 

Message 24 of 29
latest reply

re you talking about PayPal Credit? Why would they make you do anything if you were trying to spend your own money?

And yes, there are not supposed to bne chargebacks on titled property- but people do it. They just don't mention to the CC company that it is a titled vehicle- or they claim it was an unauthorized purchase, or that their card was stolen....or they may in fact be using a stolen card.

There are just too many loop-holes. In this case, there's a good possibility the guy could be legit- but the thing is, is it worth the hassle if something goes wrong, or if he did turn out to be a crook? To risk a lot of money and lose your vehicle, or to have to go through a big ordeal to try and fight what nay ensue....why would anyone want to chance that, when they can have the money in hand with no strings attached simply by sticking to their terms of sale? Why take the risk, when Ati wouldn't even be getting any extra benefit by doing so?

"Will you take PayPal for the whole amount if I pay the fees?" is essentially the same as saying "Will you take a risk to make my life easier, even though there is absolutely no benefit to you for doing so?"

Message 25 of 29
latest reply

Keep in mind that Ati is the delivery boy and will meet the buyer face to face: "Sign here". 

Message 26 of 29
latest reply

Thisis exactly what im trying to do with a motorcycle. I won the bid and I have paid the $500 deposit. the seller is fine with me paying the balance offusing my ebay credit card thru paypal. but the "Pay Now" button on the listing just disappeared and neither me or sellar know how to get the Pay Now option  back so i can pay him the $4,000 balance. I dont have that much in cash therefore that is my reason and I know im not scamming the sellar so there are factual reasons also, but at same time no matter what option you and seller agree on the fact is you stand chance being scammed or hacked as soon as u power on your device these days

Message 27 of 29
latest reply

I suggest calling eBay and get them to assist in completing the deal.

Message 28 of 29
latest reply

@belepar_17 wrote:

Thisis exactly what im trying to do with a motorcycle. I won the bid and I have paid the $500 deposit. the seller is fine with me paying the balance offusing my ebay credit card thru paypal. but the "Pay Now" button on the listing just disappeared and neither me or sellar know how to get the Pay Now option  back so i can pay him the $4,000 balance. I dont have that much in cash therefore that is my reason and I know im not scamming the sellar so there are factual reasons also, but at same time no matter what option you and seller agree on the fact is you stand chance being scammed or hacked as soon as u power on your device these days

The "Pay Now" thingie is only for the deposit, because Ebay knows that most vehicle transactions are usually not completed through PayEnemy.

The seller can go to his PayPal account and click on "request money" and create an invoice to send you for the balance, or you can click on "send money" and enter the seller's PayPal email address, and send him the balance that way- but if he sends you an invoice it would be better. Either way, specify the make/model/year and VIN# in the details, and that what you are sending is the balance due in addition to your initial deposit.

Message 29 of 29
latest reply