cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BUYER BEWARE:

Make sure that you get a third-party inspection, because you cannot believe what this seller tells you. I purchased a Case 850G Dozer for $21,250.00. The listing stated that the cab had heat and air conditioning. Before I purchased, I spoke with the seller numerous times about the condition of the equipment and he stated that everything worked as it should. 

When I received the dozer, the air conditioner compressor was seized up and there was no belt on it. The A/C DID NOT work when it was shipped and it appears it has not worked in a very long time. I called the seller to tell him about the issue and to try to work out a way to make it right, this was the last time he would answer my calls. 

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

BUYER BEWARE:

Recently, one of my car club members purchased a 1959 Chevrolet El Camino. He used a 3rd party inspection company to look at the Chevy before purchasing.

There was a lawsuit filed in the past two weeks, because the Chevy wasn't as described in the detailed/certified inspection document. I've personally looked at the car, read the inspection document and the biggest complaint I see is the rust issue.

The report said there was no rust anywhere on the car. Looking underneath the car and on both sides of the floor pan, the floor was completely gone from rust. Inside the car, someone laid a replacement floor pan over the floor and sprayed unercoating beneath it.

This is not the first or second time I've heard of 3rd party inspection companies not doing a thorough inspection. If I were to purchase any vehicle from a distance, I would personally perform the inspection, send or ask a nearby friend to perform the inspection. If not, I would pass on the vehicle.

Is your 3rd party inspection company you hired, bonded? If there is recourse, go seek legal help to resolve it.

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

BUYER BEWARE:

There is no substitute for a personal inspection when buying a classic car.  I've checked a few "inspection" companies and all of their contracts have a limit of liability not to exceed what you paid them to inspect the car.

In the case above, you can sue all that you want but my guess is that the maximum recovery will be the inspection fee.  

I recently paid a Chevrolet dealership to inspect a 1975 Caprice convertible in Miami.  They gave a very detailed report and found a few issues, nothing that I didn't expect.  Of course, I paid $800 for six hours' labor.

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

BUYER BEWARE:

Jim, there are sellers that lie and there are people who think everything is ok because they don't know better. And all sorts of other scenerios that don't get you an accurate picture of what you are buying. An inspection of some sort is always needed, personal inspection, paying a third party, or even getting a free 3rd party inspection.

Recently sold a classic car where the out of state buyer got a couple guys from a local classic car club to come take a ton of pictures and videos and report back to him.

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

BUYER BEWARE:

Who is to say that the seller was the owner? Could be a third party relying on what they were told, AKA, real estate: "Don't tell me", a lawyer: "Don't tell me".

Plausible deniability.

Message 5 of 5
latest reply