cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NO RESERVE ??

Can anyone explain why when I put in Ebay Motors im looking for NO RESERVE auctions i get cars and trucks with Starting bids....Is that not a RESERVE price. Meaning unless you start with thier bid you cant win obviously, thus...A RESERVE!!!

Message 1 of 20
latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

NO RESERVE ??

The axiom is: "Start your auction at the least you will accept". You are not going to "win" a vehicle for 99¢.

Using a reserve costs extra in fees. Starting at a higher price does not. 

Message 2 of 20
latest reply

NO RESERVE ??

Anonymous
Not applicable

Have you ever been to a real car auction?  Or watched one on tv (Mecum, B-J, etc)?  Do they EVER start a no reserve auction at zero or 99¢ or even $100?  No, they do not.  Go to a few auto auctions and report back to us.

Message 3 of 20
latest reply

NO RESERVE ??

"Pass it by"
Message 4 of 20
latest reply

NO RESERVE ??

It is one thing when someone posts a car with a high price, perfectly understandable.

But when they do that, AND also put big words "NO RESERVE!!", that is annoying. Because you are right, it is efectively a reserve. Those are good ones to skip!

Message 5 of 20
latest reply

NO RESERVE ??

I have been to auctions, where an item gets bids, and when bidding is done the auctioneer says "Sorry, that's a little shy of the reserve, no sale".  

THEN JUST START AT THE RESERVE, AND IF NOBODY BIDS, MOVE ON TO THE NEXT ITEM!!!  Smh

Message 6 of 20
latest reply

NO RESERVE ??

Why don't you sell your car for no reserve and show us all how its done?

Message 7 of 20
latest reply

NO RESERVE ??

Well, to those who suggest I need to go to an auction to understand NO RESERVE, Thanks but I'm not a complete idiot. Theres a complete difference between a RESERVE and STARTING BID. A starting bid can be backed down to a lower price. The price in which most of these NO RESERVE auctions can not be backed down. 

( no-reserve auction (NR), also known as an absolute auction, is an auction in which the item for sale will be sold regardless of price )......so my point being whether I've seen a car sell for .99 or  1 million dollars the consumer going into a NO RESERVE auction should be able to walk the price back as you could at a real auction. If the buyer says I WILL NOT SELL FOR LESS THEN $10,000 then that's a RESERVE. Is NO RESERVE that hard to understand? I think the people who say just move on to the next auction are correct...

Message 8 of 20
latest reply

NO RESERVE ??

Missing the point doesnt make you smart. True bait and switch. You must of tried to sell a few NO RESERVE vehicles. 

Message 9 of 20
latest reply

NO RESERVE ??

We haven't sold any vehicles here since 2016.  I retired at age 35 and started a second career in vehicle repair and sales.  Sold my repair business in 2011 and did quite well.

Basically, I lined my pockets from 1998 to 2016 selling cars online.  I used to do no reserve auctions and most of the time did quite well.  However, if the car was not going to make a profit, I would pull the listing.

After that, I listed with a reserve.  When the most common question became "what's the reserve" like a parrot repeating itself, we did a simple buy it now format.  

No one is willing to lose money on cars.  I'd prefer to make profits.  However, we've stopped selling on eBay and found other avenues where the sales are easier.

The reason that no one will offer a no reserve car is that everyone hunkers down and tries to bid at the last minute.  You might do well and you might lose your panties.  If you think it is such a good idea, get licensed as a dealer, start all of your cars at a dollar and show us all how its done.

Message 10 of 20
latest reply

NO RESERVE ??

@hawklove1What do you want to see? What is your "solution" to whatever you think the problem is?

Please tell us what you want done.

Message 11 of 20
latest reply

NO RESERVE ??

"should be able to walk the price back as you could at a real auction"

Because there is no real live auctioneer conducting the Ebay auction, this is impossible for an online only auction. If the auction  is done in real time, as some are that are live on location, and also available online with real time bidding, it can't happen.

Ebay does not want to be involved in getting auctioneer's licenses for all states. They simply want to provide a venue with proxy bidding for us to list and auction cars. Some of the rules and fees are different for vehicle sales, but overall the auction selling process is the same for other things that you sell on Ebay as well.

If I start a vase on an Ebay auction at $25, no one can bid less than that to start it. It has been that way since Ebay started.

Message 12 of 20
latest reply

NO RESERVE ??

I am totally lost for what Hawk wants.

Any opening bid acts as a reserve, so, sellers should offer their cars up at $0.00?

Message 13 of 20
latest reply

NO RESERVE ??

I know. I was thinking the same thing. Nothing starts at $0.00 at any auction that I have been to in person or online in the last 30+ years or so.

Message 14 of 20
latest reply

NO RESERVE ??

Any auction, for anything, ever, the auctioneer always stries to start at what they want. They may reduce until they get bidding started, but, what they want is what they want. In essence, a reserve.

Message 15 of 20
latest reply