cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Appraised Value Versus Reality

I went to look at an original 1975 Caprice Classic convertible today here in Birmingham.  I was referred to the owner by another dealer here in town.

Looking over the car, it is nice but without its wear and tear for a 43 year old car.  This one is equipped with the 454, air, gauge package and power accessories.  On the collection meter, this one is highly desirable.

The owner says that was appraised for $50,000 in March 2017 and is probably higher now.  I asked who appraised the vehicle and he brought me a folder that had a very nice 10-page letter giving photos, statistics, etc.  The appraisal looks professionally done and he said that he paid $200 to get the appraisal.

The owner said that for $35,000 the car is mine.  He pointed to the appraised value.  I suggested that he sell the car to the appraiser for that amount and the appraiser could make $15,000 profit.  You should have seen the look on his face.

Message 1 of 47
latest reply
46 REPLIES 46

Anonymous
Not applicable

Four 1975's on ebay today. None have the 454. Might want to keep that in mind with regard to the one you looked at locally....with only 8,350 made....those with 454's and in good condition could be few and far between...

Two red ones on ebay with white interior...just like the Brady Bunch car...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Caprice-CONVERTIBLE-1-OF-8349-HIGHLY-OPTIONED-SEE-VID/283058354071?hash=ite...

Message 31 of 47
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@mr.elmwood wrote:

@Anonymous

"And it's got the 454....sound sweet with headers...lol"

Tried to slip that thru, did ya!

Hee hee...ya'...

Stir and let simmer...Smiley Wink

Message 32 of 47
latest reply

@Anonymous wrote:

Four 1975's on ebay today. None have the 454. Might want to keep that in mind with regard to the one you looked at locally....with only 8,350 made....those with 454's and in good condition could be few and far between...

Two red ones on ebay with white interior...just like the Brady Bunch car...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Caprice-CONVERTIBLE-1-OF-8349-HIGHLY-OPTIONED-SEE-VID/283058354071?hash=item41e797b797:g:REgAAOSwhMFbS7fA&vxp=mtr

In April, I was looking at a 1968 El Camino and the father of the seller had a same year Chevy Caprice Convertible for $22K. It was all white and had been lowered some. Very nice looking car. Only if the El Camino had been that nice!

Message 33 of 47
latest reply

The link to the "highly optioned" Caprice shows a car that doesn't even have AC.  So much for "highly optioned".

Some of these sellers disgrace themselves by writing those kind of descriptions and then the buyer sees how far off the mark the advertisement really is.  This particular car has been for sale a long time.  It is going to be hard to sell without AC.

No one wants to spend the money on a classica car and not have AC.  We've just become too used to it and who wants to cruise around in a hot car?

Message 34 of 47
latest reply

Read the FB for the seller of that car machine posted. Four solid negs out of 17 feedback. Sounds like they are putting lipstick on pigs.

Message 35 of 47
latest reply

The car appears clean but with no AC and bad feedback, who is going to buy?  I wouldn't lay down ten cents without an inspection of any classic car.  

All of these cars will need major service work done, brakes, suspension, exhaust and the list goes on.  If you buy one, plan on it being a part-time job keeping it in good order.  That's the only thing that keeps me at bay on some of these.  20 years ago I didn't mind but I don't like to be tied down to a car that much anymore.

Message 36 of 47
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@tony1963 wrote:

The link to the "highly optioned" Caprice shows a car that doesn't even have AC.  So much for "highly optioned".

Some of these sellers disgrace themselves by writing those kind of descriptions and then the buyer sees how far off the mark the advertisement really is.  This particular car has been for sale a long time.  It is going to be hard to sell without AC.

No one wants to spend the money on a classica car and not have AC.  We've just become too used to it and who wants to cruise around in a hot car?

I thought you would get a kick out of the description Tony...

"Tires - yup, got 'em"...

The very first sentence of the description is **bleep**...."with the most options ever built".

Some guy says it's a 400....well that is reassuring....

Message 37 of 47
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

I hear ya' on the AC...

I believe most people passed on the A/C back then simply because it was considered silly to air condition an open car...

We were drilled  "Close the door!! The air conditioner is on!!!" daily at home during summer.

We rationalized..."Air Conditioning in a convertable? The cold air will just blow out" 

"It's a convertable...put the top down..."

Hence, no A/C...

Message 38 of 47
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

In doing a quick internet search, I discovered there were at least two episodes of the Brady Bunch with a red Caprice convertible.  One of the episodes featured a '73 Caprice, which would explain the episode that aired in January 1974.  

Message 39 of 47
latest reply

The 1973 tail lights do not match what is in the photo that was shared.  What was shared is definitely the tail light design from a 1975 model.

As far as AC in convertibles, any car built early to mid 70s of that vintage had AC.  It was definitely coming into vogue then and if you were going to put out the money for a convertible, then AC was on the list too.

Let's be honest about convertibles.  The idea is neat, but they are not practical especially down south where the sun will cook you.  In the late day or early morning, they're fine, but by 9:30 AM you need the AC.  In the fall when things cool down, they're fun.  

If I lived in New York I might consider one without AC.  But here, no way.  

Message 40 of 47
latest reply

So I get a call this morning and the seller asks if I want to cut a deal.  I acted a bit surprised and told him that I thought that he would have sold it to the appraiser by now.

He comes back and basically says that the appraised value is "always" high.  I disagreed.  I asked if he knew it was high when he showed me the appraisal.  He said yes.

So, I dig a little deeper.  I asked how he got the appraisal in the first place.  Apparently he contacted a local source and the appraiser came out, etc. and then sent him the final appraisal by US Mail.  So, I'm wondering since the document went through the US Mail, is this something that I should refer to the Postal Inspector since it appears to be a conspiracy to alter the price by showing something that the seller knows is false.

Message 41 of 47
latest reply

Naw, wouldn't worry about it, let it slide.

In m opinion, the only thing an appraisel of a collector car is good for, is for insurance purposes only.

Like any other car, the collector car is worth what it will bring on the market. Selling collector cars in my opinion is tough, too many varibles.

Message 42 of 47
latest reply

I was in Atlanta yesterday and this morning.  I sent an offer to the seller for $22,000 subject to inspection.  

If he goes for this, I'm not going to nit pick every thing we find because I would probably redo all of the fluids as well as brakes and suspension anyway.  It probably has the original bushings.

I have him until Friday at noon Central.

Message 43 of 47
latest reply

Sounds like a very reasonable offer, it looks like a nice car. Whether you keep it or flip it, if the seller accepts it, you did good in my opinion.

Message 44 of 47
latest reply

I doubt the seller will accept: "I know what it is worth". 

Message 45 of 47
latest reply