cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Appraised Value Versus Reality

I went to look at an original 1975 Caprice Classic convertible today here in Birmingham.  I was referred to the owner by another dealer here in town.

Looking over the car, it is nice but without its wear and tear for a 43 year old car.  This one is equipped with the 454, air, gauge package and power accessories.  On the collection meter, this one is highly desirable.

The owner says that was appraised for $50,000 in March 2017 and is probably higher now.  I asked who appraised the vehicle and he brought me a folder that had a very nice 10-page letter giving photos, statistics, etc.  The appraisal looks professionally done and he said that he paid $200 to get the appraisal.

The owner said that for $35,000 the car is mine.  He pointed to the appraised value.  I suggested that he sell the car to the appraiser for that amount and the appraiser could make $15,000 profit.  You should have seen the look on his face.

Message 1 of 47
latest reply
46 REPLIES 46

I've been throught this before.  The seller knows that I'm the only guy that has offered anything on the car.  He also knows that I can produce the cash in a snap.

So, let's see what he does by noon tomorrow.  At one second past noon, the offer expires.

If he doesn't accept it, I might make a lower offer in a month or so.  

Message 46 of 47
latest reply

Noon came and went, no response.

It is a bit cooler this morning.  You can feel the weather changing.  With that, all of the lust of older cars in summer is fading.  

I will contact the seller in September and offer $18k.  

Message 47 of 47
latest reply