cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Appraised Value Versus Reality

I went to look at an original 1975 Caprice Classic convertible today here in Birmingham.  I was referred to the owner by another dealer here in town.

Looking over the car, it is nice but without its wear and tear for a 43 year old car.  This one is equipped with the 454, air, gauge package and power accessories.  On the collection meter, this one is highly desirable.

The owner says that was appraised for $50,000 in March 2017 and is probably higher now.  I asked who appraised the vehicle and he brought me a folder that had a very nice 10-page letter giving photos, statistics, etc.  The appraisal looks professionally done and he said that he paid $200 to get the appraisal.

The owner said that for $35,000 the car is mine.  He pointed to the appraised value.  I suggested that he sell the car to the appraiser for that amount and the appraiser could make $15,000 profit.  You should have seen the look on his face.

Message 1 of 47
latest reply
46 REPLIES 46

I checked and the car is still for sale.  As the summer goes on, the interest in the car will probably tank and at the price that the seller is asking, no one will pony up the cash.

Message 16 of 47
latest reply

@tony1963 wrote:

I checked and the car is still for sale.  As the summer goes on, the interest in the car will probably tank and at the price that the seller is asking, no one will pony up the cash.

You are likely correct.  It's been my experience, that the 4th of July is the day that [classic] car-buying desire switch gets switched *off*.  Post that date, car buyers seem to fall out of heat, to purchase a summer cruisin' toy.

Message 17 of 47
latest reply

People who appraise vehicles need to be required, under Federal law, to guarantee their work and purchase the vehicle at 80% of the appraised value if it doesn't sell.  

After that, let's see how the appraised values tank.

Message 18 of 47
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@dadsfloridatreasure wrote:

Does anyone remember that Caprice Classic Convertible is the same car Marcia and Greg drove in The Brady Bunch episode about who was a better driver, men or women??  Greg knocked the egg off the traffic cone!  stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes

Good memory...

It was a Caprice Classic Convertible...there's no argument about that.

But there is some controversy over the year. Some say it was a 1975 and some say a 1974.

The episode aired in January of 1974....so most likely a 1974 model as the 1975's were still months away from being released....1975caprice.jpg

1975 was the final year for the Caprice Classic Convertible with a run of just 8,350

Message 19 of 47
latest reply

Of course men are better drivers, Marcia was screeching in Greg's ear is the reason why he lost the contest.

Message 20 of 47
latest reply

@tony1963 wrote:

I went to look at an original 1975 Caprice Classic convertible today here in Birmingham.  I was referred to the owner by another dealer here in town.

Looking over the car, it is nice but without its wear and tear for a 43 year old car.  This one is equipped with the 454, air, gauge package and power accessories.  On the collection meter, this one is highly desirable.

The owner says that was appraised for $50,000 in March 2017 and is probably higher now.  I asked who appraised the vehicle and he brought me a folder that had a very nice 10-page letter giving photos, statistics, etc.  The appraisal looks professionally done and he said that he paid $200 to get the appraisal.

The owner said that for $35,000 the car is mine.  He pointed to the appraised value.  I suggested that he sell the car to the appraiser for that amount and the appraiser could make $15,000 profit.  You should have seen the look on his face.

Well....an appraiser doesn't make purchases.....they are hired  and "licensed to appraise values" on various items. Making purchases of items they appraise is a conflict of interest.

You may or may not agree with an appraisal but that is only based on your opinion and nothing more....you are not licensed to appraise.

I do not see this as being something brag worthy and surely doesn't make you look very good.....the seller appears fine and had his information and a legal appraisal....and was even selling below that value, which happens all the time. He is leaving room for restoration work etc and if if someone wanted to buy to resell.

Message 21 of 47
latest reply

@tony1963 wrote:

People who appraise vehicles need to be required, under Federal law, to guarantee their work and purchase the vehicle at 80% of the appraised value if it doesn't sell.  

After that, let's see how the appraised values tank.

No they most certain do not. They are trained and licensed to appraise.....and their appraisals have to hold up.

It is not an appraiser job to base values on lay opinions so people can purchase them undervalue or for a fraction of the value. And even if some choose buy items at fractions of cost, there are buyers that will pay more....and some that will even buy at apprasied values....and some that will pay more than that. It has happened many times all over the world too. Some of those car auctions are proof of that.

Message 22 of 47
latest reply

By looking at the trim along the tail lights, I'd have to say that this was a 1975 model.  That car is exactly what i've like to have.

Message 23 of 47
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

As many have said...the tail lights look like '75.

But here are the facts....

When the episode was being produced the 1974's were just being released to the public.

That episode aired in January of 1974.

For it to be a 1975 it would have to of been a pre -production model. A very early pre -production model...

Hmmm....and they gave it to The Brady Bunch makers for Johnny Bravo to drive?...okie dokie...

Could of happened though...GM was doing a lot of promoting and advertising back then in the form of providing cars to film and sitcom makers....but the paint must have still be wet on that '75....

Regardless a sweet ride.

It's red.

Amazing amount of info and interest on the internet about it...

You should snag it Tony...

Only 8,350 were made...

Probley hold 45 bags of groceries ez....

And it's got the 454....sound sweet with headers...lol

Message 24 of 47
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@jr-41ford wrote:

Of course men are better drivers, Marcia was screeching in Greg's ear is the reason why he lost the contest.

She was rather annoying wasn't she? Was always Marcia, Marcia, Marcia...

And yes...what was with the "invasion of the Body Snatchers" scream thing in poor Gregs ear anyway?

Message 25 of 47
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

Tail lights on the red one are 1975.

Message 26 of 47
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous

Agree. 

What about the rest of the car?...

All '75?

A 1974 with some early styling refinements?

Will '75 tail lights fit a '74?

Anyone know?....

Message 27 of 47
latest reply

Except for front/rear styling, I doubt that there were many differences between 1974 and 1975.  The trim along the tail lights is from a 1975 model.  I suppose that there could be some differences between the claimed filming date and the actual filming date and that would clear up the issues.

I agree that for January 1974 finding a production 1975 model might be difficult.

Message 28 of 47
latest reply

@Anonymous

"And it's got the 454....sound sweet with headers...lol"

Tried to slip that thru, did ya!

Message 29 of 47
latest reply

I would prefer to find a 454-equipped model with air conditioning, power accessories and the optional gauge package (an econominder and temperature).  I've seen a few that were good colors but no air.  I can't believe that someone would buy the full sized convertible and not get air.  But, it was 40+ years ago.

The AC system in those old cars would refrigerate most of Alabama.  I've worked on a few from that era that had the old adjusting valve, whatever it was called.  I ended up changing them over to a CCOT system which worked better.

Message 30 of 47
latest reply