cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Progress report #2

I locked the other thread. There is some good stuff in there that probably has been reposted in other threads. I'll check. In the meantime, here's another place to write. B-)
Message 1 of 771
latest reply
770 REPLIES 770

Progress report #2

Been working hard on the scenery on the layout. Doing the yard eats a whole lot of cinder ballast. I use 70% alcohol as a wetting agent before I dribble on the diluted white glue and my wife just about gags when she comes out to see how I am doing. Who needs mary-jane or liquid refreshments when all you need is a contact high from the train room. Smiley Very HappySmiley Very HappySmiley Very Happy

Message 736 of 771
latest reply

Progress report #2

Your computer drawings always amaze me Charles. Thanks for sharing your work.

Pete, If  your room stinks from the ballasting process you can only imagine what airbrushing nail polish would be like. Bleck!  hence my fancy spray booth with ducting out the window and a respirator.

I can see my (industrial park) domino once again!!!  now that several models boxes are gone from their completion.  I should work on it.  Perhaps I should do the ballast too   🙂

Message 737 of 771
latest reply

Progress report #2

Ballasting sounds more interesting than when I was a young teenager and ballasted my N Scale track in the late 60's, I just used water...

Gota see pictured.....

All the best,

Charles

Message 738 of 771
latest reply

Progress report #2

PS, we are doing a science experiment and making a small batch of dandylion wine (first try for wine anything like that...)

All the best,

Charles

Message 739 of 771
latest reply

Progress report #2

Be sure you use brewers yeast and not baking yeast. I myself have a still and make moonshine. It takes far less equipment than wine making. We have a place here called Brewery Lane that has supplies for all kinds of craft beers, wines and booze. They are a chain and I know they are in the US too. You might try to find one near you.

Message 740 of 771
latest reply

Progress report #2

Pete,

Thanks, we will be on the lookout for brewers yeast....

Is it still moonshine if you distill on a cloudy night?  Smiley Tongue

All the best,

Charles

Message 741 of 771
latest reply

Progress report #2

Here is anpther example of bad air brakes (well as far as I can tell.....), my notes on the borrowed photo (for educational purposes...)

eBay funny air brakes on AristoCraft gondola 160514 edit copy.jpg

This photo was borrowed from an eBay listing of an AristoCraft G scale gondola.

All the best,

Charles

Message 742 of 771
latest reply

Progress report #2

Charles,

I found out that you can use bread yeast, but the wine may have a "yeasty" taste. Here is a recipe I found in a Newfy cook book:

3 quarts of dandelion blossoms, pour a gallon of boiling water over them, let stand overnight.

Strain, add juice of three lemons and one orange. Add 3 lbs. of sugar and boil 1/2 hour. When cool, add half a cake of yeast. (Not sure how much yeast that is but I think a 1/2 package of bread yeast would do.) Put in container covered with a cloth and let stand for 4 weeks. Skim off top daily.

When fermentation stops, bottle in screw top bottles. Leave tops slightly loose.

And to answer your question; moonshine must be made on a cloudless night, otherwise it is just booze.

Message 743 of 771
latest reply

Progress report #2

Nice demonstration on the brakes Charles. We'll have to call you Professor.   taking a break from brakes topic, I used to make beer from kits as well as wine. I'm with Pete, go with brewing yeast, different yeast strain. If this is your first time at brewing, brewing shops sell the yeast in little packets (like restaurant sugar etc)

I only used one packet in 5 gal bucket of grape juice and water (water amount varied on quality of kit- expensive kits = more grape juice, less water to fill up)

filled to just 2-3 inches from top of bucket, so that little packet goes a long way. lid on bucket left loose so gas can escape. Don't be alarmed if it starts bubbling out the lid onto the floor. Thats good. means fermentation is iminent  and going super well. Ahhh, I miss that fine smell of fermentation wafting through the house.

Now I never made wine from scratch like rhubarb or dandelion, grapes,etc.  There is special sugar for making beer called Dextrose. Pete would know better than me as far as if you can use regular table sugar.

Option B. Do like the aboriginals here and just buy Super Boost yeast and mix with water...and after a few days, drink it. and then suffer as the stuff is just starting to ferment after you drank it.  Yuup.. I'm not making this up.

Message 744 of 771
latest reply

Progress report #2

Charles, regarding your brake set up, the following may help you.

In the May issue of Railroad Model Craftsman, on page 40-41 is a wonderful drawing of the under side of a 50 foot box car. The brake detail is excellent.

And on page 44 of the same magazine is a picture of an actual box car on its side after a derailing. You can see the entire brake system.

If you don't get this magazine, at least try to get a copy of this issue for yourself somewhere.

On to the booze segment. For the moonshine I use just ordinary granulated table sugar. Dextrose is very expensive and I tried it once but found the regular sugar gave just as good a yield of base alcohol before distilling. The yeast is brewers yeast though. I know what Dave means by the smell of fermentation. Your dandilion wine will not be distilled but complete its working in the one container. Dave can tell you better, but I believe there is a "clearing" step to wine making. You will see a lot of bubbling and foaming I think and the "must" in the bottom, sometimes called the "mother" will have to be strained or somehow filtered out. Moonshine is much easier to make.

Message 745 of 771
latest reply

Progress report #2

Thanks guys, Charles

Message 746 of 771
latest reply

Progress report #2

While working on my newest kit for a car shop by Mt. Albert Scale Lumber I came upon missing parts that are critical to the construction; the two halves of plywood laser cut for the clerestory roof. I fired off an email to Mt. Albert and received a prompt reply from the owner, Gerry, who said the missing parts would be in the mail on Monday. Now that is customer service.

Smiley LOL

Here is the link to the kit.

http://www.mtalbert.com/scale-models/the-car-shop-o-scale-kit.html

Message 747 of 771
latest reply

Progress report #2

Pete,

That's a really nice looking kit, no wonder your work looks so nice...  Smiley Tongue

Charles

Message 748 of 771
latest reply

Progress report #2

The replacement parts came Friday. Really great service. I'll try to post a picture when I get it finished.

Message 749 of 771
latest reply

Progress report #2

I'll bet my life savings that it will be another stunning work of art like you always put out.

Message 750 of 771
latest reply