cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Progress report #2

I locked the other thread. There is some good stuff in there that probably has been reposted in other threads. I'll check. In the meantime, here's another place to write. B-)
Message 1 of 771
latest reply
770 REPLIES 770

Progress report #2

I'm in the process of tearing up my passenger yard tracks and the caboose track. These were already ballasted and really glued to the benchwork. What a mess this will be, but I must relay these three tracks to place the new car shed on the layout next to the enginehouse. Why did I find this structure after I had ballasted! Not fun!

Message 751 of 771
latest reply

Progress report #2

Success! I tried just scraping the ballast off with a putty knife without wetting it. Surprise but it worked. I didn't get all of it off but enough that the top was level and after I cleaned the track, I was able to relay it and install the car shop. Now I just have to reballast some of the area instead of all of it. Once finished I really should take a picture for you guys of the whole engine facility.

Message 752 of 771
latest reply

Progress report #2

Working on the finishing touches for the car shop, I had to assemble several figures. The arms had to be attached and positioned properly and now I have to paint them. I was having quite a brain strain as to how to hold them while painting. I had tried setting them down on two sided tape or temporally gluing them to a stick, but turned those ideas down. Then it dawned on me that years ago I read an article about how to make a handle for these figures. Simply, it involves drilling a small hole into one foot of the figure with a #71 drill in a pin vise. Then after cutting off the head of a normal straight pin and filing the rough edges off with a file, you just insert the pin into that hole with the point end sticking out. I did not even need to use any glue. Instant handle and also a handy way to mount the figure on a soft surface, I use a piece of ceiling tile, while drying. Then the same handle can be used to mount the figure on the layout, making it movable.

Message 753 of 771
latest reply

Progress report #2

Decided it is ballasting day. I love the high I get since I use 70% alcohol to wet the ballast before gluing it down. See how much fun boring work can be in this hobby. Smiley LOL

Message 754 of 771
latest reply

Progress report #2

What no martoonies while ballasting? Or does that follow?  

Message 755 of 771
latest reply

Progress report #2

Martonies? Martoonies? I don't need no stinkin martoonie.........Smiley Frustrated

Message 756 of 771
latest reply

Progress report #2

Now that I read it again, it reminds me of a story my wife told me.  When she was a kid, her parents would occasionally drink Martoonies.  She said one time one was left sitting around and her pet cat drank from it, then went stumbling off drunk as a skunk or cat!

Happy railroading,

Charles

Message 757 of 771
latest reply

Progress report #2

Snowy II, American Eskimo loved her martoonies. Princess the Wonder dog preferred beer. Snowy I, a Malamute, was a teetotaler. I'll drink anything........Smiley Very Happy

Message 758 of 771
latest reply

Progress report #2

Well here is the car shop and the two MOW sheds I just built from a couple of boxcar bashes. This is the whole engine house yard complex. Sorry about the shakey photos. Old hands. Still ave to finish the ballasting as you can see.

Message 759 of 771
latest reply

Progress report #2

A couple more shots. Too bad eBay cropped all these shots. The right side of all of them is missing.

Message 760 of 771
latest reply

Progress report #2

Pete,

Looks nice, you have quite the railroad empire built up there, despite eBay's efforts to cut-off the right side.  I like it thanks for posting.

All the best,

Charles

Message 761 of 771
latest reply

Progress report #2

Hello,

I might be ready to try a 3D print for replacement G Gauge side frames for the Bachmann passenger cars I plan to slice and dice into C&P facsimiles.

An 8 ft. Passenger Truck Side Frame Drawn for a C&P Passenger Car planned for G:29 Scale.An 8 ft. Passenger Truck Side Frame Drawn for a C&P Passenger Car planned for G:29 Scale.

This reuses the bolster and wheels from the Bachmann car, but instead of a 6' 8" wheelbase truck as the original Bachmann is in G:29 Scale, it is an 8' truck.  It has added detail and sizing to better match the Cumberland & Pennsylvania trucks as best I can figure out from the grainy shadowy photos of the cars I have access to.

It needs tweaking to make the drawing proper for printing, and some other practical aspects.

All the best,

Charles

PS, I have learned a lot about how the truck actually operates to be able to interpret what I saw in the photos into what seems a reasonable representation of a real operating truck.

Message 762 of 771
latest reply

Progress report #2

Hello!

I figured since I am printing new side frames in G29 for the passenger car experiment, I should try to fix a triple-valve, break-cylinder, auxiliary-reservoir for passenger cars as well.  It uses some of the same parts as the other drawing I made, the triple-valve and break-cylinder, with a separate auxiliary-reservoir tank.  So I was not too sure how it would turn out, but I just waded through my books, and this is what I have so far:

Overview Break Machinery for Passenger CarOverview Break Machinery for Passenger Car

Detailed View Triple-Valve attached to Break-CylinderDetailed View Triple-Valve attached to Break-Cylinder

That's it for now!

All the best,

Charles

Message 763 of 771
latest reply

Progress report #2

Are you still using Google Sketchup for these excellent drawings? Keep it up and you may have a part time job selling your parts to others.

Smiley LOL

Message 764 of 771
latest reply

Progress report #2

Pete,

Thanks.  I am still using SketchUp, I have not tried to take the time to learn much else for this yet.  I am actually using an older version that does not have the "free for not commercial use only" statement.  So I can sell these if it works out that way.  Who knows...  At least maybe I can have a little fun with my own stuff.  I am pressed for time with all the around home projects, trains the house, cars... etc.  Not very idle at all...

What else you guys up to?

All the best,

Charles

Message 765 of 771
latest reply