cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Progress report #2

I locked the other thread. There is some good stuff in there that probably has been reposted in other threads. I'll check. In the meantime, here's another place to write. B-)
Message 1 of 771
latest reply
770 REPLIES 770

Re: Progress report #2

Well,

A little more adjustment of the passenger car brake machinery.  As I continued to review the drawings from Train Shed Cyclopedia, I began to notice a little discontinuity was important. I saw it around the connection of the auxiliary-reservoir to the brake-cylinder and it was indeed the pipe connecting to the auxiliary-reservoir to the chunk of metal that connected the triple-valve to the break-cylinder.  It did not connect directly to the triple-valve like I first supposed.  So after fussing a bit I decided to redraw that connection, a bit tedious, but it worked and was not too much trouble:

Adjusted Break Machinery - Line from Auxiliary-Reservoir to Triple-Valve ChangedAdjusted Break Machinery - Line from Auxiliary-Reservoir to Triple-Valve Changed

I believe this is a better functioning connection and more consistent with the not excessively clear markings on the drawings...  A bunch of detective work for me anyway.

Maybe I can print it soon for my C&P passenger car experiment in G:29.  (Along with the new truck side frames). The drawing above is actually ready for the 3D printers, including some extra bits to be trimmed away that hold things together for printing and handling.

All the best,

Charles

Message 766 of 771
latest reply

Here is a 7' version of the 8' truck:

A 7' Version of the 8' C&P Passenger TruckA 7' Version of the 8' C&P Passenger Truck

Perhaps the medium size C&P coaches used a 7' truck (or so I am supposing).  This is the two side frames ready for printing, attached together slightly.  They should be easy to separate with a hobby saw.

All the best,

Charles

Message 767 of 771
latest reply

Hello all,

Here is a quick exercise in starting the development of scale drawings of the break linkage, in this case for a four-wheeled truck passenger car in Train Shed Cyclopedia.

A Basic Scale Drawing of the Main Break Linkage for a Passenger CarA Basic Scale Drawing of the Main Break Linkage for a Passenger Car

I have used a scaled drawing from the TSC book to superimpose the scale drawing of the linkage.  It is easier this way.

All the best,

Charles

Message 768 of 771
latest reply

I got the G:29 brake machinery and truck side frames form Shapeways 3D printer, they look nice, though the surface is grainy or rough, the detail is nice.  Hope to post photos tomorrow...  I believe the rough surface passes the three foot rule Smiley Tongue and the detail adds to the look.

All the best,

Charles

Message 769 of 771
latest reply

Got some pictures of the 3D prints:

Figure 1 -- The Brake Machinery in G:29Figure 1 -- The Brake Machinery in G:29

The brake machinery photo is turned upside down to look more like it will when installed.  You may note the surface is quite grainy.  I will have to get this installed and see if I can get take some photos to represent the three foot rule (a rule I have seen referenced at an N Scale discussion group, i.e. if it looks OK from three feet away, it is good for general model observations).

Figure 2 -- A C&P 8 Foot Passenger Truck Side Frame Representation in G:29Figure 2 -- A C&P 8 Foot Passenger Truck Side Frame Representation in G:29

The Cumberland and Pennsylvania Railroad 8 foot passenger car truck.  The details in this are a combination of careful observations of actual photos (not exceptionally clear), Train Shed Cyclopedia drawings, and PRR truck diagrams.  As well as borrowing from the original Bachmann G Gauge truck side frames this replaces.

Figure 3 -- A C&P 8 Foot Passenger Truck Side Frame a Detail ViewFigure 3 -- A C&P 8 Foot Passenger Truck Side Frame a Detail View

A closer look at some of the detail of the print.

Figure 4 -- A C&P 8 Foot Passenger Truck Side Frame a Detail View of Leaf SpringsFigure 4 -- A C&P 8 Foot Passenger Truck Side Frame a Detail View of Leaf Springs

And a closer look at the leaf springs.  I am happy with the way these came out.  The detail is recessed in the side frame just like the real thing, rather than just a protrusion poking out of the side of the frame.

Figure 5 -- A Grainy, Shadowy Extract of the C&P Truck on Baggage Car 20Figure 5 -- A Grainy, Shadowy Extract of the C&P Truck on Baggage Car 20

And here is the best representation of the truck I had to work with from published material, extracted here for edcuational purposes. 

All the best,

Charles

Message 770 of 771
latest reply

Happy US Thanksgiving to all!

We got together today with whom we could, this year is a bit scattered, and tomorrow we have family busy at work...

All the best, God bless you,

Charles

Message 771 of 771
latest reply