cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Microtrains State Cars

crazyd37
Enthusiast
Just wondering if anyone else in our group is collecting the Microtrains State Cars and what they think of them. Dot
Message 1 of 236
latest reply
235 REPLIES 235

Microtrains State Cars

nascarpetlover
Enthusiast
No way for me. Why too expensive to just set on a shelf. That is a total of 50 cars at $15 -$20 each with some already going well over $150. Just imagine the layout you could have for that kind of money or spending that kind of money and building a layout. No silver spoon in this mouth born or otherwise. If someone in the group is, with that investment, they may just want to say that they are not. I for one would not blame them at all. Lou PS Hey Pete how many do you have.
Message 2 of 236
latest reply

Microtrains State Cars

I have the Bicentennial edition of the 13 colonies, by Kadee Micro Trains. I collect a lot of the old Bicentennial stuff! Those new ones are too rich for my blood! CJ
Message 3 of 236
latest reply

Microtrains State Cars

Well guys, you echo my sentiments. Too much money and too long a commitment. I do have 1 so far, New York which is my home, and I am waiting for Arizona because we lived there so long and the Flag is unique. That will be it for me. Actually I was a little disappointed in the paint schemes. The boarders look too big for me around the theme on the car sides. I run mine too. I run all my stuff. What is the sense if you can't use it of having it in the first place. So Dot, you started this. How many do you have? Do you have the engine to go with it too? Pete
Message 4 of 236
latest reply

Microtrains State Cars

trmwf
Enthusiast
Zilch for me. I only buy what I'm going to play with. Not a single collectable at my place. I have some unusual stuff here and there but it all gets used. Mike
Message 5 of 236
latest reply

Microtrains State Cars

untabubba
Enthusiast
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=19126&item=5910378506&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=19126&item=5910290757&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW There you go guys...jump on'em!! The 12 car set has bids on it at $325 with FOUR DAYS to go!! NOT MEEEE! IF I HAD that kind of money....well if I HAD that kind of money, I guess it wouldn't BE a big deal! I've only ever spent a very brief time around a truly wealthy person...millionaire...and trust me, his view of the world was quite different! He bought an entire wine cellar collection from France at auction. HE DOESN'T DRINK!! He bought it to "give away as presents"!!! I won't bore you with the stories, but one day he "got tired" of horses, sold the farm and moved to Sedona, or some place like that in Arizona. ANYWAY, all of my train stuff gets used. Heck all my EVERYTHING gets used! I have a $4000 guitar that looks like s**t because I USE IT!! I don't "get" collectibles, but I'm a "poor-boy". Marc
Message 6 of 236
latest reply

Microtrains State Cars

untabubba
Enthusiast
I've just been doing some shopping. What's the "real scoop" on MicroTrains rolling stock? See, I'm pretty new to this. Are they considered among the best / most desirable? Remember, I am NOT a "collector", I am a runner. I've bought a boat load of used stuff from transactual, but I thought it might be nice to score some shiny brand new too! If anyone cares to render an opinion, I'd greatly appreciate it! Let's play "pie in the sky". Start with THEE VERY BEST and work your way down. That way I can figure where my "budgetary constraints" will put me. Marc
Message 7 of 236
latest reply

Microtrains State Cars

beastranger
Enthusiast
Marc Have you noticed that Gibson is making pre"weathered" guitars now? They bring quite a premium so yours is probably worth more now. Doug
Message 8 of 236
latest reply

Microtrains State Cars

untabubba
Enthusiast
Doug, Interesting! Pre-weathered? I wonder how they do THAT? Have a guy run around banging into things and alternately running out into the summer heat and back into the air conditioning without letting it adjust properly? These are all the things that have weathered MY guitars. Lacquer HATES being close to a roaring campfire too. Both my Guild AND my Gibson are an elaborate spider-web of finish checking. Luckily I have never DROPPED either. First thing I do when I get a guitar is put strap-locks on them! I'll have to check out Gibson's webbie for more on this. Thanks! Marc
Message 9 of 236
latest reply

Microtrains State Cars

trmwf
Enthusiast
Marc, Micro trains is the top of the line in freight cars but that doesn't mean that they are all high priced. You can still buy some of their editions for less then 10.00. The ones that are really high priced are the very limited run special editions that people buy up knowing that others will want and pay for them. Of course, the minute you take it out of the box and place it on the rail the value drops accordingly. Mint cars in the original box with the original price tag still on it I think are the most desirable but then again it depends on the car itself. I have heard tales of a couple of cars being valued in the thousands of dollars if you was lucky enought to find one. I have seen lots at train shows selling for 40-60 bucks. The above is just what I have heard and gather from reading articles. Only a real collector could advise you on the oddities of what makes a truely valueable micro-trains car. After M/T I would vote for InterMountain, 2nd place, then Atlas in 3rd in quality of details followed by all the rest right on down to the real cheapies. Mike
Message 10 of 236
latest reply

Microtrains State Cars

untabubba
Enthusiast
I'm watching some on eBay. I went to a couple on-line discount houses and compared prices, so now I have a good idea what each goes for, but there is S&H with them too. Tomorrow I plan to visit the LHS and see what they are getting for them. That way I'll know what the top bid (minus S&H) SHOULD be. Makes sense, right? Thanks for the opinion. Marc
Message 11 of 236
latest reply

Microtrains State Cars

crazyd37
Enthusiast
Hi all, Looks like I opened a can of worms! OK, I'll admit it, we have the entire collection to date and this is the only "collection" that we have. We just wanted to have one for the heck of it! Yes, Pete, we have the loco and the DC car and they are unopened etc... We try not to pay more than the selling price so we won't have that big of an investment. And before you ask, we did pay more for a few of them and are planning to complete the set. (even have a few extras as they came with the ones we needed when we decided to "collect" them) I was just wondering how people felt about collections and if they do this for investment. We are planning on keeping them. Not too sure about running them. Thanks for everyones input. Dot & Ed
Message 12 of 236
latest reply

Microtrains State Cars

untabubba
Enthusiast
Question: Will that loco pull all 50 cars? Is there a caboose? Well, that's 2 questions really! Marc
Message 13 of 236
latest reply

Microtrains State Cars

I don't think there is a caboose yet, but you know Micro-Trains....... Now Dot, If you want to collect the entire set and never run them that is your prerogative. I just have never been into collecting anything. BTW, Caboose Hobbies in Denver, CO will set you up with an automatic shipment of the state cars. I am signed up with them just to receive the ones I want. You can sign up for the whole set too. At least you could a while back. They discount a little too; about 10% usually. Check it out. Ask for Chip in mail-order and tell him I said "hi". Now generally I have to ask this question. Why collect? I mean, stamps, coins, cars, models, whatever. Who besides you will ever look at your efforts to acquire the "entire set"? I know that you have the fun of the collecting experience, but with train cars, wouldn't you really rather see them going around your layout, rather that sitting in dusty old boxes on a shelf somewhere, totally untouched by human hands? Please don't get me wrong. Collecting is a hobby too. I just want someone to explain why you collect? Is there a mentality out there that says, if I hold on to this item long enough, I'll be able to sell it and retire on the profit? I have bid against "collectors" before. You can't win if the collector decides he wants the item. I lost a $59 model of a coal tower that I was really going to build to an obvious collector. The final bid was in the hundreds. I emailed the winner and begged that he sell it to me. Nope. He was collecting this manufacturer's kits. What a waste in my opinion. And why is it that MT cars, which have a limited run yes, but in the thousands, sell for so much once out of production? The N Scale Collectors Society which I briefly belonged to and quit, jacks up the prices so high it is ridiculous. Please Dot and Ed, don't quit collecting on my account. Just, if you can, explain the collector fever that abounds in this hobby. I run everything I have and when I sell the extra cars, I still get top prices. I just have to clean the wheels, put the item back in the original box, and there you have a mint item. Meanwhile, I have had my fun running it for a while. I sometimes put new wheels on used cars.....oops, trade secret. The difference between "used" and "mint" is always the wheels. As long as the car has not been weathered or damaged......mint. I went on way too long here. Sorry if I offended any one, but I really do not understand the collector mentality. I would like to learn the attraction. Pete
Message 14 of 236
latest reply

Microtrains State Cars

crazyd37
Enthusiast
Well Pete, We started the collection just to have one. If someday its value skyrockets, we may resell to buy more trains, but only if... If we decide to run it, we will. $15-20 a car is ok for us on this one collection. As a matter of fact, Ed just reminded me of another collection that we have. NFL football, in the box. Not, I repeat, not mint. (box was torn) We do run that on occasion. It was "CUTE" when I bought it as a gift to my Jets fan! It was when I just got into the hobby! I even found an N-Scale stadium. We have a "play room" that we keep our music (guitars, keyboard etc) and sports memorabilia in that I have plans for a tiny football theme layout someday. So, I hope that answers your inquiry. Dot
Message 15 of 236
latest reply