cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Essential tools and their proper use.

Here is a list of essential tools for home, car, general repair and modeling and their proper use. Tools And Their Proper Uses 1. DRILL PRESS: A tall upright machine useful for suddenly snatching flat metal bar stock out of your hands so that it smacks you in the chest and flings your beer across the room, splattering it against that freshly painted part you were drying. 2. WIRE WHEEL: Cleans paint off bolts and then throws them somewhere under the workbench with the speed of light. Also removes fingerprint whorls and hard-earned guitar calluses in about the time it takes you to say, "SH**!!!" 3. ELECTRIC HAND DRILL: Normally used for spinning pop rivets in their holes until you die of old age 4. PLIERS: Used to round off hexagonal bolt heads. 5. HACKSAW: One of a family of cutting tools built on the Ouija board principle: It transforms human energy into a crooked, unpredictable motion, and the more you attempt to influence its course, the more dismal your future becomes. 6. VISE GRIP PLIERS: Used to round off bolt heads. If nothing else is available, they can also be used to transfer intense welding heat to the palm of your hand. 7. OXYACETYLENE TORCH: Used almost entirely for setting various flammable objects in your shop on fire. Also handy for igniting the grease inside a wheel hub you're trying to get the bearing race out of. 8. WHITWORTH SOCKETS: Once used for working on older British cars and motorcycles, they are now used mainly for impersonating that 9/16 or 1/2 socket you've been searching for the last 15 minutes. 9. HYDRAULIC FLOOR JACK: Used for lowering an automobile to the ground after you have installed your new disk brake pads, trapping the jack handle firmly under the bumper. 10. EIGHT-FOOT LONG DOUGLAS FIR 4X4: Used to attempt to lever an automobile upward off a hydraulic jack handle. 11. TWEEZERS: A tool for removing splinters of wood, especially Douglas fir. 12. TELEPHONE: Tool for calling your neighbor to see if he has another hydraulic floor jack. 13. GASKET SCRAPER: Theoretically useful as a sandwich tool for spreading mayonnaise; used mainly for removing dog feces from your boots. 14. E-Z OUT BOLT AND STUD EXTRACTOR: A tool that snaps off in bolt holes and is ten times harder than any known drill bit. 15. TWO-TON HYDRAULIC ENGINE HOIST: A handy tool for testing the tensile strength of bolts and fuel lines you forgot to disconnect. 16. CRAFTSMAN 1/2 x 16-INCH SCREWDRIVER: A large motor mount prying tool that inexplicably has an accurately machined screwdriver tip on the end without the handle. 17 AVIATION METAL SNIPS: See hacksaw. 18. TROUBLE LIGHT: The home builder's own tanning booth. Sometimes called drop light, it is a good source of vitamin D, "the sunshine vitamin," which is not otherwise found under cars at night. Health benefits aside, its main purpose is to consume 40-watt light bulbs at about the same rate that 105-mm howitzer shells might be used during, say, the first few hours of the Battle of the Bulge. More often dark than light, its name is somewhat misleading. 19. PHILLIPS SCREWDRIVER: Normally used to stab the lids of old-style paper-and-tin oil cans and squirt oil on your shirt; can also be used, as the name implies, to round off the interiors of Phillips screw heads. 20. AIR COMPRESSOR: A machine that takes energy produced in a coal-burning power plant 200 miles away and transforms it into compressed air that travels by hose to an Pneumatic impact wrench that grips rusty bolts last tightened 70 years ago by someone at Ford, and rounds them off or twists them off. 21. PRY BAR: A tool used to crumple the metal surrounding that clip or bracket you needed to remove in order to replace a 50 cent part. 22. HOSE CUTTER: A tool used to cut hoses 1/2 inch too short. 23. HAMMER: Originally employed as a weapon of war, the hammer now-a-days is used as a kind of divining rod to locate expensive parts not far from the object we are trying to hit. 24. MECHANIC'S KNIFE: Used to open and slice through the contents of cardboard cartons delivered to your front door; works particularly well on boxes containing upholstered items, chrome-plated metal, plastic parts and the other hand not holding the knife. What's in your tool kit? B-)
Message 1 of 25
latest reply
24 REPLIES 24

montanabud0
Enthusiast
Mostly Band Aids. Bud.
Message 2 of 25
latest reply

g-pa1
Enthusiast
The number to 911!
Message 3 of 25
latest reply

untabubba
Enthusiast
..........someone must have a little extra time on their hands! :O 😮 😮 😮 :O Marc 😉
Message 4 of 25
latest reply

rotory motor tool (dremel,etc) - Small electric rotary tool when used with a cut off wheel for cutting RR track or metal, gives off beneficial superficial heat via blistering hot rail. Hands- human apendage tool used to pick up those scolding pieces of cut off rail off floor. dave ]:)
Message 5 of 25
latest reply

Cordless Rotary Tool: Battery powered electric rotary tool that flings shrapnel pieces of broken cut off disc generally in the direction of the handler's face or runs out of power while operator is flat on his/her back under the layout in a pretzel-like position. Rail Nippers: A tool used to remove those shrapnel pieces from ones flesh. Also used to cut rail in extreme emergencies when all the rotary tool discs have self detonated. Xacto Knife: Aluminum handle used for holding an assortment of blades, #11 being the most common, designed for the sole purpose of slipping, becoming dull, having the tip break off and ultimately slicing the nearest flesh available. Can also be used as an alternate sprue cutter. Sprue Cutters: A plier-like tool used to trim your nails, cut off hangnails, cut small diameter wire, trim the ends of plastic rail ties at tight turnout locations and sometimes used to cut plastic parts from sprue trees when you have run out of #11 blades. Safety Glasses or Goggles: A decorative item to be hung at the back of your work bench to make the plain wall more attractive. Disposable Paint Mask: What to use when you run out of filters for the coffee maker. Can also be used as a decorative item in like fashion to the Safety Glasses. Human Thumb: Used as a target when trying to drive nails in the bench work. Sometimes used in conjunction with the index finger. B-)
Message 6 of 25
latest reply

With posts like this, it's hard to believe that there a very talented builders here. yuk yuk. :^O dave Paint- used to cover up those splotches of glue that wouldn't scrape off with dull Xacto blade 😛
Message 7 of 25
latest reply

Sandpaper: In various grades to get that pesky CA off your fingers and your work table surface. Q-Tips: Used for painting when you don't feel like cleaning a brush later. Also useful for getting that cut-off disk shrapnel out of your ears. B-)
Message 8 of 25
latest reply

Solvent Based Paints: Used for anesthetic when operating on fingers that have just been pierced by a slipping xacto knife blade or rotary disk shrapnel. CA aka Super Glue: Used for the closing of wounds as described above. Also used as a hand steadier: ie: when one's palm comes in contact with the spilled CA on the counter top. Martinis on the rocks: Used as a general anesthetic when the patient is allergic to inhalant forms of anesthetic as above. Martini Olives: Used as a temporary bandage on finger tips until the CA can be found or the hand can be removed from the work bench. B-)
Message 9 of 25
latest reply

crazyd37
Enthusiast
hahahaha, oh, but so true!!!
Message 10 of 25
latest reply

So you've been to my place after all. Barry.....;)
Message 11 of 25
latest reply

Gorilla Glue: Did you know that this stuff will reglue the crepe sole to the bottom of your moccasins? What was that song? "Stepped on a pop top. Blew out my flip-flop." Well, I stepped on a rock and ripped the sole off my moccasin. The glue is setting now. B-)
Message 12 of 25
latest reply

sd35
Enthusiast
UUUUmmmm. Jimmy Buffet was the singer..... Was it Margaritaville?
Message 13 of 25
latest reply

I think you are right Kev. The glue oozed out the side a bit and looks funky, but these are my yard/deck shoes anyway. Not fit for public view anymore if you know what I mean. "I wish I had a pencil thin moustache; the Boston Blacky kind. A two-toned Ricky Ricardo jacket and an autographed picture of Andy Devine......" B-)
Message 14 of 25
latest reply

untabubba
Enthusiast
I just polished up all my Jimmy Buffett songs for our summer gigs. I know it's lind of corny, but like the man said: "The customer's always right." And they ask for Buffett when you play on an outside deck bar. Oh, and I have several pairs of shoes not fit for public view! :) Marc
Message 15 of 25
latest reply