cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Returns and negatives question

I sold a lot and got notified by eBay to do a return because buyer said "something is wrong with the item". It then says to take care of it by a certain date or it can affect my seller level. Then it says I have to pay shipping because, "something is wrong with the item".  It is a 3.3 pound lot of mixed jewelry that states there are a few repair items etc. I always make my lots worth it and this lot only sold for $20

I sent a message through the page where it takes me to start the process. I said I'd be happy to do a refund etc. and even paid for the eBay return shipping label to be sent. Never heard from the buyer before or after. Called eBay asking about why I had to pay shipping return and asked about negative feedback in case buyer left it. (Had a bad feeling). She said no problems and they wouldn't let me get a negative for this should it happen but wait and then call back after return was done.

Next day I see the negative. Buyer said "Almost everything broken" etc. so I called eBay right away. Got a real jerk this time. Says I got bad information. Tried to compare shoes and scarves in a scenario which made no sense to a jewelry lot. I said pictures clearly show items that are not broken and he would go off about she's entitled to her opinion. I said an opinion is one thing but it is a fact that everything in this lot is not broken. 

Why should I get a negative for this. No contact, no trying to resolve anything, immediate refund and polite message and did everything the way I'm supposed to. There was no case, just a request and it was handled perfectly like eBay says to do.

I

Most used advice from my mother - Learn something new every day!
Message 1 of 29
latest reply
28 REPLIES 28

Re: Returns and negatives question

.2 pound is 3.2 ounces so slightly less than a 1/4 pound. Seems like a few pieces if all packaging was same as shipped. 

Was there any shipping damage?

Message 16 of 29
latest reply

I completely agree with this feedback response! I too have become victim of buyer getting one over on me, and this is why on every single listing I have in my store here is what you will see, and if the customer has a valid complaint I will refund when I need to, but for the most part since I put this on my refund policy, I haven't had any junk jewelry lots come back to me..knock on wood... Refund will be given when items are returned in the same manner as recieved, partial refund only on junk jewelry lots, I have no inventory on such lots, and no way to determine the contents. Restocking fee? Yes 10%. Change up your refund policy, and put something in there to protect yourself
Message 17 of 29
latest reply

Oh yes...a restocking fee only works if the buyer wants to return  though, not if they claim something is wrong with the item...still, a good idea. I have a 20% restocking fee upon which 1/2 will be waived if all original containers and any free items are returned. I don't have many returns. I wouldn't use it unless a buyer sent their earrings back in a #10 envelope padded with a single floral bounty paper towel.

Yes, this has happened.

Yes, you have to protect yourself.

"Free" shipping is like "free" kittens. Ain't no such thing.
eBay buyer and seller since January, 1998 - Former member of the "Answer Center Irregulars"....In memory of flowerpot.4
Message 18 of 29
latest reply

I would definitely call eBay back and ask to speak to a supervisor about the fact that the weight is off
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Go sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here.

As Good as It Gets I absolutely love this movie
Message 19 of 29
latest reply

Today was my fourth call to ebay. At least I got a really proffessional polite guy the last two times. My only recourse is to send the buyer a note and ask that she revise her feedback. I just sent that off so now I just have to wait.

Thank you everyone for your support and interest. I really appreciate it.

Alex

Message 20 of 29
latest reply

WOW!! I just got a reply from her and she said, "Of course I'll revise my feedback, you have been fabulous about the return!"

Kind of restores my faith in buyers and that if you really are in the right things will go right.

Message 21 of 29
latest reply

Good news. 

Message 22 of 29
latest reply

Great news!!! It's nice to hear when things go right 🙂

Message 23 of 29
latest reply

It's not buyers against sellers, or vice versa.

All too often, that kind of thinking creates problems where there aren't or shouldn't be any.

That's all I was trying to convey in my earlier posts.

I'm glad it all worked out.

"Free" shipping is like "free" kittens. Ain't no such thing.
eBay buyer and seller since January, 1998 - Former member of the "Answer Center Irregulars"....In memory of flowerpot.4
Message 24 of 29
latest reply

Mighty mind of them
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Go sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here.

As Good as It Gets I absolutely love this movie
Message 25 of 29
latest reply

Sadly there are folks who will buy a lot and pick out a few items and then return the rest - minus the nice stuff but want a full refund.  Weighing it helps.  If it comes back lighter then you know a few pieces are missing.

And I specifically buy lots with broken pieces so I can repair them or use for spare parts to fix other items.  You might say repair/scrap/wear/repurpose in your title.

Message 26 of 29
latest reply

Sadly there are folks who will buy a lot and pick out a few items and then return the rest - minus the nice stuff but want a full refund.  Weighing it helps.  If it comes back lighter then you know a few pieces are missing.

I specifically buy lots with broken pieces so I can repair them or use for spare parts to fix other items.  You might say repair/scrap/wear/repurpose in your title.

And on a weirder note, I bought a lot of "rhinestones" that turned out to be REAL sapphires and emeralds.  Sometimes you buy a pig in a poke and come out the worse for wear but sometimes you make out like a bandit.  Sorry you are having such a bad time with this buyer.

Message 27 of 29
latest reply

I also had a guy who complained that the gold filled chains he bought werent "filled with gold all teh way through" - big shocker that half the items he returned were NOT the ones I shipped and they were replaced with cheap brass (one even had a Target price tag still on it).  Didnt even match the pictures.  Ebay did let me give a partial refund - for only the ones he returned, not the whole lot of 9 items.

Message 28 of 29
latest reply

I just sold a lot of clip earrings and after reading all the posts -  I will make sure I wrap each earring and pack well.  Also will take pictures so I have a record.  Glad it all turned out well for you.

Message 29 of 29
latest reply