cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Returns and negatives question

I sold a lot and got notified by eBay to do a return because buyer said "something is wrong with the item". It then says to take care of it by a certain date or it can affect my seller level. Then it says I have to pay shipping because, "something is wrong with the item".  It is a 3.3 pound lot of mixed jewelry that states there are a few repair items etc. I always make my lots worth it and this lot only sold for $20

I sent a message through the page where it takes me to start the process. I said I'd be happy to do a refund etc. and even paid for the eBay return shipping label to be sent. Never heard from the buyer before or after. Called eBay asking about why I had to pay shipping return and asked about negative feedback in case buyer left it. (Had a bad feeling). She said no problems and they wouldn't let me get a negative for this should it happen but wait and then call back after return was done.

Next day I see the negative. Buyer said "Almost everything broken" etc. so I called eBay right away. Got a real jerk this time. Says I got bad information. Tried to compare shoes and scarves in a scenario which made no sense to a jewelry lot. I said pictures clearly show items that are not broken and he would go off about she's entitled to her opinion. I said an opinion is one thing but it is a fact that everything in this lot is not broken. 

Why should I get a negative for this. No contact, no trying to resolve anything, immediate refund and polite message and did everything the way I'm supposed to. There was no case, just a request and it was handled perfectly like eBay says to do.

I

Most used advice from my mother - Learn something new every day!
Message 1 of 29
latest reply
28 REPLIES 28

Re: Returns and negatives question

Did the return label have tracking?

Message 2 of 29
latest reply

Yes, it just got here an hour ago.
Message 3 of 29
latest reply

By the way, I haven't made the refund yet, I only just got the package. I don't even care about having to pay return shipping even though it says in my policy that buyer pays. It also says please contact me first if there are any problems.
Message 4 of 29
latest reply

I know how upsetting this must be to you. 

As a buyer and seller of lots for the past 15 years or so, the best advice I can give you is to overestimate the damage when listing. And pack well.

I looked over the listing in question and it truly did not come across to me as a mostly repair lot. It sounded as if it would be mostly good with a few bad items. 

When I used to sell good lots, which means, most pieces in good shape, I individually baggied them up for protection and the whole wad was cushioned with bubble wrap. I suggest you do this on lots that you are selling as mostly good with little repair. Why? I got a box in just the other day - most of the rhinestone items in the lot were broken by the time it arrived. Many other pieces were as well - because they were packed loose in a flat rate box.

Not the type of packaging I want for a "good" lot.

It's a good thing I'm not into rhinestones all that much. I paid quite a bit more for my lot, but it was packed loose and that is not an acceptable way to ship mostly good jewelry. I'm also more forgiving than your buyer. I left positive feedback for my seller, but I just won't buy from him again.

A negative is not the end of the world. If this is your first, you've done pretty well to be here for 16 years on this ID and not get one.

Don't sweat it, just do what you have to to prevent it in the future. She returned it, so was clearly not happy with it. You have the chance to turn it around again. Customer service is a pain when the buyer isn't so happy, but it's really your only chance to shine.

I would reply to the feedback with something such as "Our apologies. We have refunded you. Please let us know if there is anything more we can do"

And mean it.

"Free" shipping is like "free" kittens. Ain't no such thing.
eBay buyer and seller since January, 1998 - Former member of the "Answer Center Irregulars"....In memory of flowerpot.4
Message 5 of 29
latest reply

The refund rules state something to the effect that the item should be in the same condition as shippped (or something to that effect.)

Anyhow maybe she was "cherry picking" took a couple of pieces she liked and returned the rest??

I sell lots too and I know it's almost impossible to remember everything that was in the lot, BUT if something that was pictured is missing call EBay again. Be insistant that the lot returned WAS not in the condition it was shipped (if this is the case.) 

Have all your ducks in a row when you call, if you sound like you know what you're talking about and can site the rules, CS tends to work with you.

Then again maybe she thought she could could score some gold, silver or something major or whatever that you may have missed and when that wasn't the case she returned. 

Or amybe she's just one of "those" buyers-what;s her feedback for others look like??

Message 6 of 29
latest reply

So sorry this happened, alex Smiley Sad.  I find that when a seller calls ebay trying to be proactive, they are always promised that the worst won't happen and when it does, the seller is told they were given the wrong information.  This has happened so many times it must be a part of CS training procedure.  As for your buyer, you just cannot please some people and her vindictive feedback is the product of the type of buyer ebay has bred.  At least negative feedback is no longer considered a defect, but having to look at a neutral or negative for a whole year just continues to dredge up bad feelings.  You could try sending her a feedback revision just for the heck of it since she liked your "fast shipping" Smiley Frustrated.  Good luck...

I'm not a hoarder! There's a price tag on everything!
Message 7 of 29
latest reply

What does buyer's feedback left for others look like?

eBay buyer and seller since January, 1998 - Former member of the "Answer Center Irregulars"....In memory of flowerpot.4
Message 8 of 29
latest reply

I am sorry you are having to deal with this Buyer. I would weigh the parcel and open in the presence of a witness. Possibly a Postal Employee.

Message 9 of 29
latest reply

The lot was 3.1 pounds instead of 3.3 pounds so clearly she must have liked something in there.

I just don't get why a negative is allowed when a buyer doesn't contact the seller and the seller follows all the eBay rules and takes care of it right away. And on top of that has to pay return shipping. Just because a buyer doesn't like something shouldn't be a reason for a negative especially when they get a no hassle refund.

Message 10 of 29
latest reply

I think we err in providing good customer service when we assume the worst about our buyers and operate with the mindset that they are "out to get us". We are buyers too...let's practice the golden rule. Some people are poor communicators with short fuses. I've been so upset over purchases I've received that didn't live up to the listing that nothing was going to keep me from leaving a negative, no matter what the seller offered after the fact because what I thought I was buying was clearly not what was delivered. Not to mention the fact, this is my second ID. I've been on eBay since January, 1998 - and in thousands of transactions, no matter how many warnings there are out there about "bad buyers", I've not had that many. I don't even remember, it has been that trivial.

If the buyer has a habit of leaving negative feedback, use the "report a buyer" link to report a possible habitual returner. Otherwise, accept the fact that the buyer is just not happy, for whatever reason and see what you can do to make it right if you feel up to it. It happens. I have always felt that a negative was your best opportunity to show what you're made of...because it is going to be the thing your potential buyers look at forst. Let your reply show what kind of seller you are.

Message 11 of 29
latest reply

If you are positive she did not return everything she was sent, report her. Nothing may comne of it. If she does this to enough sellers, she will be kicked off.

Message 12 of 29
latest reply

I agree if the weight is less it is probable this Buyer has kept the best and returned the rest. If this is the case then leaving a Neg might be a part of how they work to divert attention from their behaviour by getting the Seller upset and putting them not the Buyer in a bad light with ebay.

Message 13 of 29
latest reply

Sorry ya have to deal with such as this.  

I would be tempted  to reply onto the fb she left..with something like:

Sorry you were not happy.  Wish you would have returned EVERYTHING

~~~Sarah~~~There's only ONE bad day when you love an animal
Message 14 of 29
latest reply

Never mind that - if she did not, and you can tell by glancing at your photos if something is not there, send her a message through eBay messages asking about the missing pieces.

Do not refund until she has returned them.

I can play this both ways - I'm all about the buyer - except when they are clearly wrong.

No passive aggressive tactics...deal with it head on. Write her and explain that you would love to refund her but that she has not returned all of the items she was sent. You will await their return upon which you will refund. Not until.

Escalate the return to a claim if you must.

I can be just as stern as I can be kind.

Message 15 of 29
latest reply