cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

You can no longer list books when the ISBN is rejected by item specifics

• Starting in May, when you attempt to modify existing listings, relist existing listings (including Good ‘til Cancelled), or create a new listing for an item in any condition within the Phase 1 product lines, and you do not associate it with a product from the eBay catalog, you will be unable to complete the listing. For both new and existing listings in product lines with multi-variations (multi-SKU), you will be required to provide a GTIN (UPC, EAN, or ISBN) for each variation. The new shopping experience will only display listings that are associated with a product in the eBay catalog.

I have lots of new books that I can't provide the ISBN's for since eBay's system, both on site and TL reject. This means that those books not only, can't be relisted, but that any other books that eBay's system rejects for the ISBN, can't get listed on this site also.

Message 1 of 19
latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

When I am at the flea market I often see buyers with scanners checking barcodes for the big A and often many nice books are rejected even from the penny listings.  They need a new site for Things You Cannot Sell on Ebay.

Message 2 of 19
latest reply

@timemachine777wrote:
  • Starting in May, when you attempt to modify existing listings, relist existing listings (including Good ‘til Cancelled), or create a new listing for an item in any condition within the Phase 1 product lines, and you do not associate it with a product from the eBay catalog, you will be unable to complete the listing. For both new and existing listings in product lines with multi-variations (multi-SKU), you will be required to provide a GTIN (UPC, EAN, or ISBN) for each variation. The new shopping experience will only display listings that are associated with a product in the eBay catalog.

I have lots of new books that I can't provide the ISBN's for since eBay's system, both on site and TL reject. This means that those books not only, can't be relisted, but that any other books that eBay's system rejects for the ISBN, can't get listed on this site also.

I don't see "Books" listed in the Phase 1 list, do you?

Please stop posting completely incorrect/incomplete nonsense like this just to stir the pot.

Personally I think eBay's move to grouped/catalog sales will ultimately kill the site for most sellers, but you could at least post accurate information instead of actively fomenting panic.

Member of the Grumpy Old Man crew
Message 3 of 19
latest reply

@dtexley3wrote:

@timemachine777wrote:

I don't see "Books" listed in the Phase 1 list, do you?

Please stop posting completely incorrect/incomplete nonsense like this just to stir the pot.

Personally I think eBay's move to grouped/catalog sales will ultimately kill the site for most sellers, but you could at least post accurate information instead of actively fomenting panic.

What are you talking about? I just cut and paste the OP from the Spring Update.

http://pages.ebay.com/seller-center/seller-updates/2018-spring/inventory-optimization.html

That is eBay fact, not fiction. BTW...ISBN stands for: The International Standard Book Number. They don't use that acronym for anything else. eBay is letting sellers know that's book codes are part of what they are covering in that statement regarding the month of MAY changes. So before you get onto me, do some homework.

Message 4 of 19
latest reply

Phase 1:

Product lines that will require catalog adoption before end of April 2018.

catalog product lines

Where do you see BOOKS?   An ISBN would be required in the above categories if someone listed a book in one of those categories.

You've taken a generic list of "acceptible identifiers" GTIN (UPC, EAN, or ISBN) to make blanket statements adding categories and items that are demonstably NOT included in Phase 1.

I did MY homework.

Message 5 of 19
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@timemachine777 wrote:

Hi @timemachine777, it looks like there has been a misunderstanding - if you scroll about half a screen below the paragraph you are quoting, you will find a the list of Phase 1 product lines that @dtexley3 has shared to the thread. 

If any changes do occur in the future to our expectations for listing books, we will be sure to provide ample notice. We are also aware of how many products within the Book category are not currently compatible with our catalog, due to age, edition or other concern. This will of course be taken into consideration if/when any adjustments are made in the future. 

I encourage you to review our Seller Update for more details on announced changes and visit our 2018 Spring Seller Update board if you have questions. 

Edit - I wanted to provide the full context of the section quoted in this thread, so grabbed a screenshot of our announcement to highlight that these changes only affect Phase 1 product lines:

phase_1.JPG

Message 6 of 19
latest reply

@Anonymouswrote:

@timemachine777wrote:

Hi @timemachine777, it looks like there has been a misunderstanding - if you scroll about half a screen below the paragraph you are quoting, you will find a the list of Phase 1 product lines that @dtexley3 has shared to the thread. 

If any changes do occur in the future to our expectations for listing books, we will be sure to provide ample notice. We are also aware of how many products within the Book category are not currently compatible with our catalog, due to age, edition or other concern. This will of course be taken into consideration if/when any adjustments are made in the future. 

I encourage you to review our Seller Update for more details on announced changes and visit our 2018 Spring Seller Update board if you have questions. 

Edit - I wanted to provide the full context of the section quoted in this thread, so grabbed a screenshot of our announcement to highlight that these changes only affect Phase 1 product lines:

phase_1.JPG

Why did eBay include ISBN codes among the list of codes? They should omit it if books are not included in the May changes.

Message 7 of 19
latest reply

@timemachine777wrote:

Why did eBay include ISBN codes among the list of codes? They should omit it if books are not included in the May changes.

Probably because there are some that would sell a BOOK about the "getting the most out of your roku/iphone/etc" in those categories.   Not necessarily the right place for it, but there are some that would.

Message 8 of 19
latest reply

@dtexley3wrote:

@timemachine777wrote:

Probably because there are some that would sell a BOOK about the "getting the most out of your roku/iphone/etc" in those categories.   Not necessarily the right place for it, but there are some that would.

In trying to inform a few sellers that might do that, would just make it misleading and confusing for the millions of book sellers that see that posted there. They need to either remove ISBN, or elaborate on why they included it there.

Message 9 of 19
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@timemachine777 wrote:

@Anonymouswrote:

@timemachine777wrote:

phase_1.JPG

Hi @timemachine777, the contents within the parentheses are meant to clarify what would be considered an GTIN. As stated at the start of these bullets and within the specific quote you provided, these changes are only impacting items within the Phase 1 category. I hope this helps clear up any confusion that has come up.

Message 10 of 19
latest reply

@Anonymouswrote:

@timemachine777wrote:

@Anonymouswrote:

@timemachine777wrote:

phase_1.JPG

Hi @timemachine777, the contents within the parentheses are meant to clarify what would be considered an GTIN. As stated at the start of these bullets and within the specific quote you provided, these changes are only impacting items within the Phase 1 category. I hope this helps clear up any confusion that has come up.

Actually it still doesn't, since I don't get what ISBN has to do with Global Trade Item Number. Does eBay have some special connection created between the two?

Message 11 of 19
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@timemachine777 wrote:

@Anonymouswrote:

@timemachine777wrote:

@Anonymouswrote:

@timemachine777wrote:

phase_1.JPG

Actually it still doesn't, since I don't get what ISBN has to do with Global Trade Item Number. Does eBay have some special connection created between the two? 

Hi @timemachine777, an ISBN is one of the types of GTIN

Message 12 of 19
latest reply

@Anonymouswrote:

@timemachine777wrote:

@Anonymouswrote:

@timemachine777wrote:

@Anonymouswrote:

@timemachine777wrote:

phase_1.JPG

A lot of people and small sellers like myself most likely do not know that GTIN has incorporated ISBN into a universal number space, and do not see a connection between the two.  I would wager that many don't even have a clue what GTIN even stands for.

Message 13 of 19
latest reply

I am finding the thread about having to use ISBNs for book listing very confusion.   Is it saying that books that do not have an ISBN will not be able to be listed?  Bottom line -- I list mainly book.  I use the ISBN for my listing 1) if the book has an ISBN though many of the books I list are older / pre-ISBN and 1) IF the ISBN prefilled information actually correctly Matches the book.  I have repeatedly contacted the eBay for Business facebook page and provided them numerous examples of problems I run into when I add an ISBN to my listing.  For example, adding an ISBN to a Golden Guide Birds book which is a small, field guide suddenly gets changed to the Textbook catagory (there are many more problematic examples I could give but that is the one that comes to mind right now.  When that happens I deleted the ISBN and re-add it to the listing under "Add Your Own Specifics" and change the listing back to the correct catagory.  

Message 14 of 19
latest reply

@Anonymouswrote:

@timemachine777wrote:

@Anonymouswrote:

@timemachine777wrote:

@Anonymouswrote:

@timemachine777wrote:

phase_1.JPG

@Anonymous

Actually, it's not a type of GTIN. It's a separate entity that handles these.