cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

You can no longer list books when the ISBN is rejected by item specifics

• Starting in May, when you attempt to modify existing listings, relist existing listings (including Good ‘til Cancelled), or create a new listing for an item in any condition within the Phase 1 product lines, and you do not associate it with a product from the eBay catalog, you will be unable to complete the listing. For both new and existing listings in product lines with multi-variations (multi-SKU), you will be required to provide a GTIN (UPC, EAN, or ISBN) for each variation. The new shopping experience will only display listings that are associated with a product in the eBay catalog.

I have lots of new books that I can't provide the ISBN's for since eBay's system, both on site and TL reject. This means that those books not only, can't be relisted, but that any other books that eBay's system rejects for the ISBN, can't get listed on this site also.

Message 1 of 19
latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

Re: You can no longer list books when the ISBN is rejected by item specifics

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_Trade_Item_Number

"The GTIN standard has incorporated the International Standard Book Number (ISBN), International Standard Serial Number (ISSN), International Standard Music Number (ISMN), International Article Number (which includes the European Article Number and Japanese Article Number) and some Universal Product Codes (UPCs), into a universal number space."

I've written software that utilize various forms of the GTIN and Alan is correct, the ISBN has been incorporated into the world of GTIN and the ISBN governing body is now under the GTIN umbrella.
Member of the Grumpy Old Man crew
Message 16 of 19
latest reply

@tenacrespluswrote:

I am finding the thread about having to use ISBNs for book listing very confusion.   Is it saying that books that do not have an ISBN will not be able to be listed?  Bottom line -- I list mainly book.  I use the ISBN for my listing 1) if the book has an ISBN though many of the books I list are older / pre-ISBN and 1) IF the ISBN prefilled information actually correctly Matches the book.  I have repeatedly contacted the eBay for Business facebook page and provided them numerous examples of problems I run into when I add an ISBN to my listing.  For example, adding an ISBN to a Golden Guide Birds book which is a small, field guide suddenly gets changed to the Textbook catagory (there are many more problematic examples I could give but that is the one that comes to mind right now.  When that happens I deleted the ISBN and re-add it to the listing under "Add Your Own Specifics" and change the listing back to the correct catagory.  

From what I'm getting from Trinton, the answer no at the moment since books are not part of the phase1 changes.

Message 17 of 19
latest reply

@tenacrespluswrote:

I am finding the thread about having to use ISBNs for book listing very confusion.   Is it saying that books that do not have an ISBN will not be able to be listed?  Bottom line -- I list mainly book.  I use the ISBN for my listing 1) if the book has an ISBN though many of the books I list are older / pre-ISBN and 1) IF the ISBN prefilled information actually correctly Matches the book.  I have repeatedly contacted the eBay for Business facebook page and provided them numerous examples of problems I run into when I add an ISBN to my listing.  For example, adding an ISBN to a Golden Guide Birds book which is a small, field guide suddenly gets changed to the Textbook catagory (there are many more problematic examples I could give but that is the one that comes to mind right now.  When that happens I deleted the ISBN and re-add it to the listing under "Add Your Own Specifics" and change the listing back to the correct catagory.  

as TM777 says, the book categories are not part of the Phase 1 in April, so you don't have to worry... yet...   I'm in the same camp as most that this is not going to go well.  At all.

Member of the Grumpy Old Man crew
Message 18 of 19
latest reply

@dtexley3wrote:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_Trade_Item_Number

"The GTIN standard has incorporated the International Standard Book Number (ISBN), International Standard Serial Number (ISSN), International Standard Music Number (ISMN), International Article Number (which includes the European Article Number and Japanese Article Number) and some Universal Product Codes (UPCs), into a universal number space."

I've written software that utilize various forms of the GTIN and Alan is correct, the ISBN has been incorporated into the world of GTIN and the ISBN governing body is now under the GTIN umbrella.

Not the ones with an original 10 digit ISBN. Only the ones they set up special for publications, which is really an EAN beginning with 978 or 979.

You can add 979 to the 10 digit ISBN, and recalc the check digit, but who knows what it would come up with when the book is out of print.

And the only reason they think they include it under that umbrella is because it's basically an EAN. But you won't create one on GS1 - you still need to go to the ISBN site. GS1 allocated 978 and 979 prefixes to isdn-international.org.