cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Catalog question

Hi Alan,

Direct quote from the Spring Update:

"By the end of April associate your existing listings to the eBay catalog so that your inventory WILL CONTINUE TO BE VISIBLE TO BUYERS.

Those of us who are trying to use the catalog know it is still a mess with incorrect product sizes, incorrect categories - especially books, no current product photos, isbn's not matching the book you are holding in your hand, upc on the product in your hand does not match the photo in the catalog, having to do multiple catalog searches for the same product before the one you have actually shows up - often 3 or 4 searches for the same product before it shows up, thousands of products are not currently in the catalog, and other glitches.

Is there any guarantee the product catalog will be accurate by the April deadline?

Will our listings be hidden from buyers because of eBay's errors in the catalog?

Will buyers be able to see listings for products that are NOT in the catalog?

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Catalog question

@b86fiero wrote:

Hi Alan,

Direct quote from the Spring Update:

"By the end of April associate your existing listings to the eBay catalog so that your inventory WILL CONTINUE TO BE VISIBLE TO BUYERS.

Those of us who are trying to use the catalog know it is still a mess with incorrect product sizes, incorrect categories - especially books, no current product photos, isbn's not matching the book you are holding in your hand, upc on the product in your hand does not match the photo in the catalog, having to do multiple catalog searches for the same product before the one you have actually shows up - often 3 or 4 searches for the same product before it shows up, thousands of products are not currently in the catalog, and other glitches.

Is there any guarantee the product catalog will be accurate by the April deadline?

Will our listings be hidden from buyers because of eBay's errors in the catalog?

Will buyers be able to see listings for products that are NOT in the catalog?

The April deadline focuses on select product lines in consumer electronics and home and garden where product information has been verified against widely available industry sources. For products and categories outside of the initial requirement, we will work with industry experts and members of our selling community to update product information before the catalog requirement is expanded.

For items that aren't aggregated in top picks, buyers will have the ability to click to see additional listings if the current selection doesn't align with their needs.

In terms of listings that aren't a part of the required product lines, buyers will continue to search and engage with these listings the same way they do now.

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

Catalog question

For items that aren't aggregated in top picks, buyers will have the ability to click to see additional listings if the current selection doesn't align with their needs.

In terms of listings that aren't a part of the required product lines, buyers will continue to search and engage with these listings the same way they do now.

That's swell, but the Update says to list with the Catalog.  It also says to list in the Category that is the "best fit". 

There are countless Product Catalog pages that have totally ridiculous - NOT "best fit" - categories associated with them.

In those cases, I try to avoid listing with the Product Catalog, and there are other cases where there simply is no Catalog page that is even close to accurately describing what I'm selling.  Yet eBay continues to associate my listings with entirely wrong Catalog pages for me.

My Listing:

FRANCE 25 Centimes 1903-1939 Lot of 10 F-EF Coins, No Reserve!

I even added an Item Specific for Denomination:  25 Centimes.  And here is eBay's "product based" presentation of my listing:

eBay Buy Box 10 Centimes.jpg

So, with all due respect, buyers are searching and engaging with my listings using this new "product based" presentation RIGHT NOW, and it is NOT WORKING RIGHT.

The Floggings Will Continue Until Morale Improves.
Message 3 of 5
latest reply

Catalog question

We have been complaining about the catalog for books for years - yet it is little better today than it has ever been.     I rarely list any fiction, but half of the nonfiction I list brings up an incorrect category when I enter the ISBN - the Cookbook category is a disgrace with Textbook, Education not far behind, and Other Books has become a catchall for the lazy.   

It seems to me that the big book guys with thousands of listings were used as the "standard" for determining categories, and they probably hired cheap labor to create their listings - no knowledge of books or photos required. 

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

Catalog question

What a train wreck.

Message 5 of 5
latest reply