cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Simple stain removal

This may have  been posted before, if so I apologize for the repeat. I usually skip over the stain removal posts b/c I can't find the ingredients posted.

Someone posted this one on FB today. It's just Dawn, peroxide, and baking soda.  They had it as a mixture but i just poured a little of each on two different spots on two items today.  I had already tried shout, fels naptha, dawn alone, and the stain removal that comes with Dryel. They didn't budge.  I let them soak, rubbed it in, and let them set about 2 hours. 

Stains are gone.  No sign of them.

If you are like my husband and you have to measure everything, it's

1 tsp. Dawn dishwashing detergent
3-4 tablespoons of hydrogen peroxide
couple tablespoons of baking soda.

Scrub on with a brush. 

Message 1 of 135
latest reply
134 REPLIES 134

Re: Simple stain removal

I have cream colored carpet and spilled a full glass of cabernet on it! I sprinkled salt over it and let it sit for 24 hours. I vacuumed. It is GONE! 

Photobucket"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." - Abraham Lincoln
Message 121 of 135
latest reply

This formula sounds promising, but I am looking at cleaning and restoring several vintage designer handbags, and I really do not want to fade them.  Has anyone tried canvas handbags or the lining in handbags?  I have a Coach Ocelot print bag that needs cleaning up, but I do not want to fade the brown and black.  The interior is a grey satin material, and it pretty badly stained in a couple of spots, including one ink stain. 

Thanks for your input.  This is a great bag and I do not want to mess it up.  (Coach Park Ocelot with red trim)

Message 122 of 135
latest reply

Wow is this stuff great!  I had a canvas/leather Dooney that was filthy and I took someone's advice and tossed it into the washer. Well, it came out clean but unfortunately the leather straps bled onto the fabric.  I tried and tried but the stains wouldn't budge.  I was just about getting ready to donate it when I found this dawn/baking soda/peroxide recipe. I whipped up a batch, and presto! the stains were history!  The really odd thing is I have never looked at this posting thread until today!  Many thanks to the posters for this super stain remover!

i

Anyone who thinks that money can't buy happiness has never paid a shelter pet's adoption fee
Message 123 of 135
latest reply

Hi, can this mixture be stored in a plastic bottle?  Does it lose its potency if stored? Thanks 

Anyone who thinks that money can't buy happiness has never paid a shelter pet's adoption fee
Message 124 of 135
latest reply

Thanks! for sharing with us I will try it sure.

Message 125 of 135
latest reply

Some of these fabrics are made from plant based fibers, and include rayon, lyocell, acetate, triacetate, corn, and bamboo. Others are made from petroleum, natural gas, coal, alcohol, and limestone. These include the synthetics such as nylon, polyester, acrylic, modacrylic, spandex, metallic, vinyon, and olefin.

Read Wu Dong Qian Kun

Message 126 of 135
latest reply

I used to wash Communion Linens and the trick to getting the wine out was to put them in the washer and let them soak for about an hour, rinse and than wash as normal.  The wine came out and they were white and clean every time.

Message 127 of 135
latest reply

@thehodgepodgerycollectiblecurio wrote:

Figures...I just bought a GIANT bottle of Palmolive! Lol! wonder if that would work or there is a top secret ingredient in Dawn. My husband is a chef and he comes home with serious stains! 

Dawn has a grease remover but palmolive will work just as well on most other stains - unless the stain IS grease.

Message 128 of 135
latest reply

oh, seriously? wow! nice that you were able to discover that. Thanks for sharing

If there were no humor, life would be tragic
Message 129 of 135
latest reply

Thank you! 

Message 130 of 135
latest reply

I just saved an expensive Ralph Lauren sweater and a pair of khakis using this formula! Love it!!  My mom says if it doesn't come COMPLETELY out in the wash, treat it again and rewash it BEFORE you put it in the dryer.  The dryer will "bake" it on and it will be pretty permanent.  Rubbing alcohol also works great on pen ink!  I just fixed my own jacket and saved it from an exploding pen in the pocket! Yay! Now I don't have to buy a new one!!

Message 131 of 135
latest reply

I have used Baking soda and White vinegar - and also with Peroxide - and they have removed some really stubborn stains.  And leave no marks.  I find with concentrated colored soap detergents, they have discolored the dye in the fabric.  

Message 132 of 135
latest reply

Thank you for sharing the recipe....I'm glad it helped remove your stain.
Message 133 of 135
latest reply

Thank you, I will have to try this
Message 134 of 135
latest reply

How can I safely remove yellowing due to age and storage from a vintage cotton lace collar? It is ivory, not bright white, but it has yellowed unevenly from sitting in a drawer for 35 years.  TIA for any advice.

Message 135 of 135
latest reply