cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sellers using strongly perfumed detergents

hi all,  occasionally i buy clothing on ebay and half the time the seller has tried to do the right thing and make sure the item is clean.. which, of course, i appreciate.. but because of my physical condition i cannot tolerate perfumes  ...so i use fragrance free detergents and dish soaps in my house... 

some of the smelly detergents are worse than others but when i run the item in the wash THREE TIMES  and  hang it in the sun for 4 or 5 days and it Still Smells...  well, lol, i just had to come looking for you guys to see if you could pass the word ...

maybe a new policy that is strongly encouraged that detergents used be Fragrance Free?  they do not cost any more 

i would so appreciate this. 

thanks  

:  )

(currently have two shirts and one skirt on the line outside giving ol ms sun a chance to desmellify them)

Message 1 of 24
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Sellers using strongly perfumed detergents

so! I just got some sort of message from the EBAY community asking me to decide which one of your replies with a solution to my problem. But none of your replies were solution to my problem. before I even came in here and started this discussion I was already doing all of those things with the vinegar and baking soda and washing the clothes many times and hanging them out on the line for days on end.… I came in here hoping for a discussion about hell wouldn't it be neat if clothing being sent out to customers... be fragrance free. But that didn't happen ...that discussion.

instead, what happened was a reiteration about what i hadalready said about what I was doing to make the bad smells go away, with an occasional rude little snipe accusing me of dictating how you should live your lives.

in my opinion, some of you enjoy your private little group of people here and you don't like other people coming in and upsetting your little boat.…… I'm here in the real world it's called Power tripping.

and you can have it.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 18 of 24
latest reply
23 REPLIES 23

"maybe a new policy that is strongly encouraged that detergents used be Fragrance Free?  they do not cost any more"

Thanks, but I don't need Ebay or anyone else telling me how to do my laundry.

@lalatheartist

You might find this thread very interesting: http://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/Sellers-are-fragrance-bombing-items-it-s-happening-with/td-p/27...

Message 2 of 24
latest reply

hi river... thanks for the reply... i went and looked at that thread and have decided that its hopeless and i will just have to stop buying on ebay or any other used clothing online store.

at local thrift shops i can at least be able to tell if the garment is tainted with fragrances. . . though i just realised, from reading the thread that you recommended, that the horrible perfume smell coming out from the open door of the thrift shop is febreze and probably someone sprayed it willy nilly around the door if not the whole shop!!! argggh

also, i was not trying to tell you anything about how you do your laundry. but i do know i cannot buy clothes washed in perfumed detergents anymore .. so you decide... buy some nonfragrant detergent for your ebay sales or lose money... no body is telling you what to do ... common sense will.... fragrance is like poison to me. when i say "i want to buy that blouse" i do not say "and i want a dash of poison on it, please."
Message 3 of 24
latest reply

@a*river*runs*through*it - Agreed 😞  Online shopping is not for everyone.  I just wonder how some manage day to day activities when they pass people who wear perfume/cologne, smokers, pollution 😞  

And I refuse to purchase fragrance-free detergent too.  

Message 4 of 24
latest reply

@lalatheartist

"buy some nonfragrant detergent for your ebay sales or lose money"

I haven't lost a dime selling clothing yet.

"no body is telling you what to do ... common sense will...."

Do you know what common sense tells me about this problem of yours?

That you are the minority here.

"and i want a dash of poison on it, please."

Poisons can actually kill. I've yet to hear of a death caused by Febreeze or scented detergents.

I can get migraines from certain perfumes, but I sure don't tell friends or strangers not to wear perfume in my presence as I don't have any right to do that. Just as you don't have the right to dictate to Ebay sellers.

You do however have the right to shop elsewhere.

Message 5 of 24
latest reply

this negative tone to the conversation started, in my opinion, when you assumed that i was trying to Tell people what to do... when all i was doing was making a suggestion on how to solve the problem.

with your attitude, conversation and problem solving gets shut down and democracy dies. you turned a potentially friendly dialogue into a shoving match.

i bet you bully here and your pal who chimed in is one of your backup lol

anyways... good thing ebay and its chat rooms are not reality, at least not in My world.

faretheewell everyone and No, the suggestion implied here did Not help me.
Message 6 of 24
latest reply

actually, postingid2017, i do not manage. i have to cover my nose and mouth when i run down the cleaning agents aisle at the grocery store to get my fragrance free environmentally friendly laundry and dish soaps Because The Management Insists On Placing The Natural Stuff Halfway Through The Length Of The Aisle. i have to dart out of stores i have just entered when i discover the smells are making me cough. i have to deal with the panic that comes when the coughing won't stop and the inside of my throat starts to swell. i have to quickly close my windows when some jerk decides to roll coal with his tricked out truck on mainstreet... (two restaurants have sidewalk dining, i wonder how they felt about it)

so i stay on my home turf alot... actually plan out my excursions so i don't have to deal with those things so often. but it does put a crimp on my shopping and movements sometimes. the daily walk sometimes has to be rerouted because they are burning fields somewhere on my usual path... and that new route may have issues of its own.

but i do not complain. i only try to solve the problems. i assume most folks don't realise what it is like to have breathing issues and sensitivities to certain perfuming agents. so i try to explain what it like. and then i get something like the reaction coming from the river person... uncalled for unfriendliness.

and of course, lol, being the problem solver that i am, i started to try and figure out why that river person was being so mean so fast without any provoking from me... and then, i stopped. because i am tired. not too tired to explain this to You... but tired of the nasty meanness coming out of people against people who have been perfectly nice and helpful and everything.

bullies assume someone who is nice does not have a hard inner core. but some of us do. and i sincerely hope, to avoid further hassles, those bullies realise that and amend their ways or they could find themselves in situations where they Are being told what to do (a situation river person seems to indicate is intolerable for them to be in)
Message 7 of 24
latest reply

Message 8 of 24
latest reply

i notice you do not sell clothing.

Message 9 of 24
latest reply

@lalatheartist

Why not get those disposable face masks & wear them?

Not being snotty here, the detergent aisle chokes me out and I don't have any allergies or breathing issues. Those masks might help at least so you can go more places with less symptoms..

I sell clothing. I wash with scented detergent (fruity not floral) and usually hang to dry.

I've purchased some STRONG perfumey stuff here but I always just toss in the Tide Odor Pods thingies and hang it out on the line..

That combo negates almost anything.

CHEERS

~Pika~
People in life that are the happiest don't have the most,, they make the most of what they have...

Message 10 of 24
latest reply

thank you for suggesting that but Tide Odor Pods contain febreze and here is some info on febreze and other odor dispellers.. (i found it interesting ... the bit about how the products do not list most of these ingredients on their labels) https://cvskinlabs.com/7-reasons-why-you-shouldnt-use-febreze-or-other-chemical-air-fresheners/

about the face masks...  sure that is okay when i Know i am going into territory that reeks like that aisle in the grocery store...  but it is not helpful when, lol, a friend puts product on her hair during her shower and then is brushing it out and it hits me and i am in paroxyms on the front porch...  anyway ...sure...  i will wear a face mask whenever i am around anyone who uses perfumed detergent...  or...

you all could stop using that god awful perfumed detergent that does not smell like flowers and fruit but smells like Chemicals!! 

Message 11 of 24
latest reply

"you all could stop using that god awful perfumed detergent that does not smell like flowers and fruit but smells like Chemicals!!"

I use ERA. It smells just fine.

Message 12 of 24
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

Well , I just use Regular old powder Tide and regular Downey, Just like my Mom.  If we wash it they complain If we dont they complain,.I like to open my windows  to keep my house fresh, But its to hot here in Texas this time of year...I do use an air freshner , Pure Citrus Orange .Smells great and Bothers no ones allergies in my home.. I Do not sell clothes to often , But I do wash them , I add no extra Freshner or Chemicals.. I do shop for pre-owned Cloths, and I always wash them before storing or wearing .I have never left negitive feed back or complained about used Clothes smelling.

Message 13 of 24
latest reply

I only use unscented detergent on the bird cage covers and blankets because I have a bird that is sensitive to smells that are close to him.  I also don't use chemical cleaners or air fresheners in my house because of the birds.

With that said I buy all the time on ebay and I have had alot of stuff STINK in one way or another.  You know what my solution is....WASH IT immediately then wear and enjoy.  I would never think to ask anyone to change what they do to suit my situation.  I can only control my situation. 

I hope that ebay doesn't change there is enough hoops for sellers to jump through without ebay dictating what laundry detergent to use.

Message 14 of 24
latest reply

OP,

i read this with interest as I, too, am very sensitive to odors and use an inhaler when needed but I would never tell a seller how to wash their items or what they should use. 

I read the entire thread and really think that no one was being confrontational or rude-they were just calling it like it is and trying to tell you that the problem is on your end, not theirs and perhaps you should not be buying used clothing on the internet.

If you are going to continue to shop on ebay why don't you compose and save a couple of sentences asking sellers if their item is washed in odor free soaps. You can then hit the back button or decide if you want the item enough to just deal with it yourself.

By continuing your determined rant here all you will accomplish IMO is to have most sellers who read this not want to do a transaction with you which I assume is not what you wanted to accomplish.

Message 15 of 24
latest reply