cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seller lied about measurements, can I ask to return it?

So I asked the seller about the measurements for a shirt because the size was smaller than I usually have, but sometimes the brand fits me large.

Seller gave a measurement of 20 inches, which is my size, when it's just under 18 inches actually. So the shirt is now too small for me.

Can I ask to return it?

Thanks. 

Message 1 of 18
latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

Re: Seller lied about measurements, can I ask to return it?

Yes. Work with the seller first. If the seller isn't cooperating or refuses the return, you're protected. Be sure to take your own detailed pictures showing the true measurements of the shirt.

Message 2 of 18
latest reply

I would return the item as Not as Described.

I would keep all communications with the seller with the measurements and such.
I would take a picture of the item with a tape measure showing the actual measurements.

I then contact the seller and request a return that the measurements given were incorrect.

Good Luck !

Message 3 of 18
latest reply

1) Thoroughly read the eBay MBG (money back guarantee) policy.

2) File an INAD (Item Not as Described) case. You can only file ONE case on eBay.

3) Seller will have to refund, but may require you to send the item back; if so he will have to provide the label.

4) Pay close attention to timelines and steps during the case.

Do not communicate with the seller any more except via the case. If you send the item back without a INAD case you will not be refunded.

Message 4 of 18
latest reply

Pictures are not used for any type of proof. Don't bother with pictures.

Simply open a 'not as described' return. 

Message 5 of 18
latest reply

@hpenryessentials wrote:

Yes. Work with the seller first. If the seller isn't cooperating or refuses the return, you're protected. Be sure to take your own detailed pictures showing the true measurements of the shirt.

Not that I agree with Ebay seller policies but all buyer has to do is click not as described.  No pictures are are even required, nor contacting seller.     It is all automated now unlike a couple of years ago when actual Ebay employees actually looked at them as well as pictures, emails back/forth.  They do none of that anymore.    Again, I feel sellers should be contacted and pictures should be sent but bottom line, all a buyer has to do is click not as described.

And no, I am not a seller.  Gave that up close to 15 years ago.  I thought seller policies were getting ridiculous then under Meg Whitman's helm.  I so appreciate sellers here and what they have to go through.

Message 6 of 18
latest reply

Yeah. They are. I've had to do this dozens of times.

Message 7 of 18
latest reply

Just because you can doesn't mean you should. Randomly just opening up an IND case without trying to work it out with the seller not only goes against eBay's policies but there's a great chance the seller will work with you and nothing has to  be escalated. Why create a bigger problem for a shirt that isn't the right size?? This isn't fraud or malicious. It's an accident and not one that a seller should have a mark on their record for. Again, I've had to do this dozens of times and I've never had an issue even if it was escalated.

Message 8 of 18
latest reply

You might do it (take pictures) and you might even send them to someone; but they are not used, at all for any type of proof. 

Why would they be?

They could be of another item

They could be of exactly how you 'want' it to be

They can be photoshopped to be whatever you want it to be

It is well known- pictures or videos are not used for proof of anything

Message 9 of 18
latest reply

@hpenryessentials wrote:

No one cares about the pics, tbh

he/him/guy/dude...you get the picture
Message 10 of 18
latest reply

Nothing you can provide as a seller will substantiate the item you sold and ANYTHING provided by the buyer will support their claim, so there is no point.

I dare anyone to upload a picture of their pet as a buyer on their next claim. I bet it doesn't make one ounce of a difference because they aren't gonna look at it.

he/him/guy/dude...you get the picture
Message 11 of 18
latest reply

Folks will tell you to work with the seller:

Dont (I am a seller by the way): To many sellers will hustle you to were you can not get your money back:

Go to the resolution center and file an item not as described case: such is your protection with the money back guarantee: Never close a case until you have got your refund.

Sellers who do not like reading what I just posted: you still have the option of refunding before eBay does; this way to protect your metrics:

It is also a good way to get users that have lost their rights to buyer protection from getting a refund from you.

Message 12 of 18
latest reply

That's awfully helpful advice there 😂. You're a treasure. 

Message 13 of 18
latest reply

@donsdetour wrote:

Folks will tell you to work with the seller:

Dont (I am a seller by the way): To many sellers will hustle you to were you can not get your money back:

Go to the resolution center and file an item not as described case: such is your protection with the money back guarantee: Never close a case until you have got your refund.

Sellers who do not like reading what I just posted: you still have the option of refunding before eBay does; this way to protect your metrics:

It is also a good way to get users that have lost their rights to buyer protection from getting a refund from you.

There are always going to be dishonest buyers and there'll be dishonest sellers. Honest sellers don't try to keep you hanging long enough to lose your buyer protection and to say that implies that those of us who are sellers are scammers who won't do the. right thing. 

It doesn't hurt to contact the seller, let them know you're disappointed to receive an item that doesn't match the description and see how the seller responds. If the response isn't satisfactory, THEN you can open a SNAD dispute.

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 14 of 18
latest reply

I received the refund, everything is good. Thanks all. 

Message 15 of 18
latest reply