cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Possible Scam with iPhones

6514steve
Enthusiast

I recently sold an Apple iPhone to someone in the Ukraine.  The item was shipped and I provided a shipping number to the buyer.  Shipment was made through USPS via PayPal.  The buyer recently emailed me saying the phone never arrived and now wants their money back.

At this point, I have called USPS, PayPal, and eBay.  USPS told me once the item leaves the US it cannot be tracked.  PayPal told me to wait until 20 days to see if the buyer files a "claim".  eBay told me there has been extensive problems with iPhones purchased through eBay to the Ukraine and Eastern Europe and the matter needs to be investigated.

At no point was I able to open or leave feedback about the buyer which doesn't make sense.  This entire case appears to be a fraud.  I guess the sellers are the victims.

Please be aware of this problem.  If you are going to ship items overseas then ship by FedEx or UPS.  I WILL NOT SHIP ANOTHER ITEM INTERNATIONALLY!

There is NO protection for sellers if you ship something internationally via USPS.  It's simply ridiculous.

Please feel free to contact me if you have had similar experiences.  This is the second time I have been stolen from.

Message 1 of 89
latest reply
88 REPLIES 88

Re: Possible Scam with iPhones

@2000ej8401 wrote:

I had a similar case recently where the seller wanted me to ship the iPhone to Thiland.  I agreed to the terms and he paid me via paypal with extra cash after the auction ended which was a red flag.  Now when I went to the post office the lady told me that its really expensive to ship out an item overseas especially with a signature confirmation and insurance.  It was going to cost me $85 dollars to ship to the destination.  So I declined and went back home with the iphone still in my possession :).  So what I did next is look into thier feedback, the buyer had 272 feedback so I was looking through all items he had purchased it looks to me like the buyer was building up feedback to scam me out of a $700 dollar phone.  I also went as far as looking into the address as well which lead to a highway in thiland which was a HUGE RED FLAG!!  What I did next was give a second chance offer to the bidder that almost won it.  They immediately paid me via PayPal and I refunded the first buyer the total amount.  I'm just glad my iPhone wasnt sold to a scammer that would of stole my money and the phone

USPS told you that for 85 ,you can get signature confirmation to Thailand??  and insurance too?

She does not know what she is talking about,USPS offers no signature confirmation for packages going overseas,.

The only way you wll get signature confirmation viewable online would be DHL,Fed Exp and UPS. 

Message 46 of 89
latest reply

USPS Priority intl gurantee has tracking overseas as it is turned over to Fed Exp,but no signature confirmation. 

But it is expensive/

Message 47 of 89
latest reply

go to website RUSTIFY,they are based in Chicago and has their own way of shipping to Russia and UKRAINE.

Message 48 of 89
latest reply

@gporpc wrote:

Why can't you all just sell to buyers with US zip codes?

there are good old domestic scams as well,like claiming you sent an empty box or return a comic book or dirty socks.

best is not to sell iphone period !

Message 49 of 89
latest reply

Post office alway said they have no control over the foreign post office and they cannot always guarantee their performance.

only privat carriers like Fed Exp,DHL and UPS have their own employees in the foreign location,thats why the are offer signayure confirmation 

Message 50 of 89
latest reply

I think this is what's happening to me right now. My iPhone 5 auction closed on Tuesday and the winner has yet to pay for the phone. I opened an unpaid item claim, but now he's sending me inappropriate messages in Russian. I would love to relist the phone, but eBay has already charged me nearly $20 in sellers fees. I'm bummed. I was looking forward to some extra cash for Christmas.
Overall, eBay has been really unhelpful and just told me I'm obligated to wait for him to pay or for the time to run out so I can be reimbursed the sellers fees. Also, I keep trying to report the inappropriate sexual comments, but eBay isn't being helpful there either.
Message 51 of 89
latest reply

@austexpremierebattery wrote:

I would agree shipping high ticket items internationally, unless you are doing high volume is not worth the risk. With that being said, paypal and eBay contrary to popular belief will most likely rule in your favor and you will eventually get your money back. I have been in these circumstances before and have never gotten the short end of the stick from paypal especially if you are able to provide tracking stating it left the country.

Can you give us a case where Paypal actually rule in your favor because tracking shows it left the country?

There are 2 threads here ,one is to Mexico,it said leaving LA sort facility and no more tracking,seller lost her iphone and her thanksgiving dinner/

Another case is iphone to Russia,of course no tracking and lady lost her rent money.

please show us how you did it.   

Message 52 of 89
latest reply

@djzmiller wrote:

My daughter thinks that this is an organized criminal activity where they actually get the product, resell it, and also claim they didn't get it and ask for their money back. I agree this needs to be investigated.

possible.

there is an wholesale auction of used iphones in HK,if they cant unlock it,they send the phones to China to have it unlocked.

it is wholesale,not retail.

I am sure there are rings in EASTERN Europe which steal iphones

Message 53 of 89
latest reply

@soccerdad1150 wrote:

I cannot seem to get eBAY to respond.  I too sold an iPhone.  I sent it to an address in Maryland though. Now i get contacted telling me I sent 'trash' to Russia and they want their money back.  I sent via USPS  and have a confirmation that it was delivered to the address in Maryland.

is Maryland address a forwarding place,if they reroute to Russia,they lost their buyer protection.

Message 54 of 89
latest reply

@Anonymous wrote:

for expensive items use priority mail international u get some automatic insurance and I believe u can get more.

Also things get held up in customs

if you are willing t o add regsitered mail which is 13.95 on top of your postage,you can get more insurance via registered mail .

But not sure if buyer said they receive an empty box,will you be covered.

dont bother to ship overseas,and dont sell iphone 6

Message 55 of 89
latest reply

@2000ej8401 wrote:

I had a similar case recently where the seller wanted me to ship the iPhone to Thiland.  I agreed to the terms and he paid me via paypal with extra cash after the auction ended which was a red flag.  Now when I went to the post office the lady told me that its really expensive to ship out an item overseas especially with a signature confirmation and insurance.  It was going to cost me $85 dollars to ship to the destination.  So I declined and went back home with the iphone still in my possession :).  So what I did next is look into thier feedback, the buyer had 272 feedback so I was looking through all items he had purchased it looks to me like the buyer was building up feedback to scam me out of a $700 dollar phone.  I also went as far as looking into the address as well which lead to a highway in thiland which was a HUGE RED FLAG!!  What I did next was give a second chance offer to the bidder that almost won it.  They immediately paid me via PayPal and I refunded the first buyer the total amount.  I'm just glad my iPhone wasnt sold to a scammer that would of stole my money and the phone

but did you get him to agree to cancel the auction so you can get your FVF back?

lets see,$700 phone,FVF should be at least 70 dollars,check you ebay account.

USPS does not provide signature cofmirmation,which is trackable and viewable online,so your USPS friend is misinformed.

Message 56 of 89
latest reply

@mayholding wrote:

i just sold a phone in July to buyer who filed a claim last week under buyer protection that eBay honored.  i have discovered at least two other sellers to same buyer during this time period, where he is also claiming he did not receive.  it is a scam, and he asked to have it sent USPS Priority International.  i should have read this disussion earlier - i did not realize USPS tracking stops when shipment leaves US.  has anybody had success in aribtrating this with ebay?

depends on what kind of USPS priority-smal box,enevlope ,yes,no tracking outside the country.

but priority express intl guarantee and USPS priority medium and large box are tracked all the way

TRACKING ONLY,NOT SIGNATURE CONFIRMATION 

Message 57 of 89
latest reply

@jfbouz wrote:

The scam continues, but like a bad virus, the scam has adapated.  I block all  non-U.S buyers. But even with that, I recently sold an iPhone to someone with a U.S. address, confirmed by PayPal. This buyer paid, so I sent the iPhone to the address in NJ. The item was signed for and  I got signature confirmation / proof of delivery from USPS in pdf form. But now this buyer is claiming the iPhone never arrived and is threatening me with chargeback action on Paypal. Where is this buyer's eBay registered location? You got it, the good ol Ukraine.

TO GET SELLER PROTECTION,YOU NEED TO SEND TO THE ADDRESS ON PAYPAL EMAIL NOTICE,

IF THEY RESEND TO Ukraine,they lose their buyer protection.

you are covered since you send to the right address

Message 58 of 89
latest reply

@marymj909 wrote:
I think this is what's happening to me right now. My iPhone 5 auction closed on Tuesday and the winner has yet to pay for the phone. I opened an unpaid item claim, but now he's sending me inappropriate messages in Russian. I would love to relist the phone, but eBay has already charged me nearly $20 in sellers fees. I'm bummed. I was looking forward to some extra cash for Christmas.
Overall, eBay has been really unhelpful and just told me I'm obligated to wait for him to pay or for the time to run out so I can be reimbursed the sellers fees. Also, I keep trying to report the inappropriate sexual comments, but eBay isn't being helpful there either.

block russia and ukraine and nigeria,you would be much happier,

block them on My Ebay -as well.

Message 59 of 89
latest reply

That's nonsence IT IS POSSibke to track, all you have to do is to put the tracking USPS number in a countries ( for example Ukraine) national post site and it will show everything. You don't even need tu euse express mail its enough to use first class. I am not sure why USPS is not aware of that
Message 60 of 89
latest reply