cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Possible Scam with iPhones

6514steve
Enthusiast

I recently sold an Apple iPhone to someone in the Ukraine.  The item was shipped and I provided a shipping number to the buyer.  Shipment was made through USPS via PayPal.  The buyer recently emailed me saying the phone never arrived and now wants their money back.

At this point, I have called USPS, PayPal, and eBay.  USPS told me once the item leaves the US it cannot be tracked.  PayPal told me to wait until 20 days to see if the buyer files a "claim".  eBay told me there has been extensive problems with iPhones purchased through eBay to the Ukraine and Eastern Europe and the matter needs to be investigated.

At no point was I able to open or leave feedback about the buyer which doesn't make sense.  This entire case appears to be a fraud.  I guess the sellers are the victims.

Please be aware of this problem.  If you are going to ship items overseas then ship by FedEx or UPS.  I WILL NOT SHIP ANOTHER ITEM INTERNATIONALLY!

There is NO protection for sellers if you ship something internationally via USPS.  It's simply ridiculous.

Please feel free to contact me if you have had similar experiences.  This is the second time I have been stolen from.

Message 1 of 89
latest reply
88 REPLIES 88

I'm wondering if the person you dealt with is the same person I am dealing with now. I recently sold an iPhone and it was shipped to an address in NJ, then the buyer is claiming he can't use it in the Ukraine, it was an unlocked iPhone 5 and contacts me 12 days after the delivery date knowing that I didn't list the phone with accepting returns (unless it fell under buyer's portection policy). I keep getting messages from this buyer persisting that I didn't send him a brand new iPhone and he is requesting that I send him money even after he left me bad feedback on my ebay account. He threatened me if I didn't do as he requested he was going to leave the nagative feedback and I notified ebay about this issue and I haven't heard back from them and this buyer is still contacting me persisting that I give him money for the iPhone or pay for the shipping for him to send it back to me but mind you he wants me to pay for the shipping on it coming from the Ukraine not from the NEW JERSEY address it was originally shipped to. Now that I'm aware of all of these fraudulent buyers I'm worried because I just sold another iPhone 5(unlocked) to a buyer in the Russian Federation,that he may claim he never receive it. What can a seller do to prevent something like this happening to them without ebay's support for that matter. I strongly believe it's totally unfair for us U.S. citizens who are trying to earn an honest living by our sales on ebay and for this to happen. It's going to send many of us innocent victims(the sellers) to the poorhouse.

It's so sad because you would think that ebay's got your back in all of this and to find out now that they're not really sucks. I can't afford to lose these iPhones plus the money that was paid for them to these thievalizing punks that have nothing better to do than to rip us off blindly with ebay's help. I'm a chemo receipient and I can't understand how there's cold hearted people that don't give a rat's ass about another human's financial status and choose to rip us off regardless. They don't care and this will continue to happen to us as long as ebay gives them the favor when they open claims against us sellers.

I strongly believe there should be some justice to all of us victims and open a class action law suit against ebay if they continue to side on the scammers favor for opening false claims. We should put our heads together and really look into it,you never know we may have a very good case here that can compensate all you who were victims from these scammers.

Message 31 of 89
latest reply

Chances are you unknowingly sent the iPhone 5 to the Ukranian buyer's freight forwarder located in NJ.

If that's the case... then they cannot win a SNAD claim since buyer protection is void if the buyer uses a freight forwarder. All you need to do is notify Ebay in the eventual claim that you sent the item to NJ... but the buyer is actually in the Ukraine.

If you win that one... then you have to start worrying if the buyer used a stolen credit card for payment. That's very possible when making sales to that part of the world.

Message 32 of 89
latest reply

Hi,

It is unfortunate. I had a pretty similar problem except that id eti063 claimed that the iphone was not working.

In short, Paypal ruled in my favor cos it was a scam. I had reported this buyer and I am not sure if Ebay would do something about this buyer.

Who cares about Ebay buyer or seller protection. I would advise not to refund.just do nothing.

Let ebay shut you down SO WHAT! 

Message 33 of 89
latest reply

I had the exact experience! USPS shows that the package left their facility, and nothing after that. Ebay even decided in the buyer's favor, and I've been unable to reach their appeals department. I will check with Paypal now.

Message 34 of 89
latest reply

The very first iPhone I sold was to Ukraine, and it got there without any problems at all.  Since then I sold may iPhones world wide, but starting with September, I have been bombarded with customers claiming that they havent received their iphones.  None of them were from Ukraine.  One guy from Russia bought 2 iphones from me on 2 different days, and opened a case with PayPal just 12 days later FOR BOTH PURCHASES, but paypal didnt care, and just gave him $600 back.  Another guy from Hungary did the same thing with one iPhone.  There are currently a couple of more people, all of whom are from Russia, emailing me saying that they havent received their iPhones.  I will probably lose $1000 this month.  it will be an expensive lesson.  

Message 35 of 89
latest reply

Well, samething happenned to me here in FL, US. Never, Never, use USPS for shipping electronic. I have had a tracking number, it has been 7 months, the delivery status still out for delivery. I put a claim, but they never come up with with the answer. I guy wanted his money back. The post offices guys knows that you can track your phone, in some cases they are responsible for that. But the receiver also know how to play the system. 

Message 36 of 89
latest reply

i dont ship international for that very reason.

I notice over the years ebay pushes for people to ship international .  I have to remember to uncheck that new " ship to a shipping hub" each time.

I stopped years ago because there are plenty of usa buyers and why mess with figuring out shipping for china.

Message 37 of 89
latest reply

The exact same thing happened to me in September. I sold it to Zhymotr, Ukraine. Exactly a month after the sale, he claimed it had not been delivered, and he got all of the money back! There were precautions that I could have taken to be sure he could not use the iphone until I gave him the password. For some reason, I did not. Now I'm out $400 bucks (still had to pay fees and shipping costs). Do NOT sell to this theif. Or any Ukrainian for that matter. They give eBay its bad reputation.

Message 38 of 89
latest reply

Same thing happen to me I got the phone back and agian someone from the Ukraine bought it I made him send a message that stated he know how long it could take to get the phone, he insisted I send it usps I did not I sent it via FedEx, it got to the ukraine and now it has been mysteriously stolen from the box he tried to open a claim with eBay and PayPal after I spoke with eBay and showed them the messages he sent me they reversed it. Do not ship to the ukraine as it's most likely a scam
Message 39 of 89
latest reply

Dear seller, I am stuck in the same situation!!!!!!!!!! have you got any information on what i can do? Ebay and paypal basically screwed me over and is only taking the buyers side. I will never ever use ebay or paypal ever again this is the second time! and thee customer service is horrible!!!!!! 

Message 40 of 89
latest reply

I have had a very similar experinece with the buyer. He required me to use an inexpensive shipping method, which, lo and behold, was not trackable to India. He promptly filed a claim at PayPal, which, being thoughtless and mechanistic, with simplistic rules, deducted his full payment from my account.

Ditto to your conclusion: no more international shipping, and no shipping of any kind that isn't trackable. 

Message 41 of 89
latest reply

In my case, the buyer made his claim at PayPal, not eBay. They sucked the money out of my account, and I promptly raised hell, telephoning them, and explaining how the buyer insisted I use an inexpensive shipping method, which did not offer tracking. They actually seemed to listen, and are now considering a courtesy refund on this transaction, because I have a good record with them.

If the claim is with PayPal, call them, plead your innocence, provide details, and see how far you get. If enough of us raise Hades something is bound to give with these international scams. I no longer accept bids from overseas. Good luck.  

Message 42 of 89
latest reply

I just got taken or will be taken for 6 phones. Ebay sucks, they put the blame on me. I selected Global shipping but I guess I didn't deselect Russia of the Ukraine. I sold 6 phone over a 6 week period and the claims are starting. One already went the scammers way, one will happen tomorrow and one more started today. I am just i for the rest to file. I don't not have the money to pay the final 4, so my accounts, both ebay and paypal will be closed and they will send me to collections. 

I did nothing wrong, I shipped through ebay and they have left me holding the bag for almost $700, They suck!!! And they are to stupid to realize how this scam continues

Message 43 of 89
latest reply

I am having two cases for the same reason, and both from Ukraine, to be more precise, city of  RIVNENSKAYA Ukraine.  If someone has had similar problem with someone in that city pleasee let me know, this is not fair, and ebay has to realize this is a scam

Message 44 of 89
latest reply

Why don't you ship 'registered mail' usingf the USPS?   It is the most secure insured and reliable international service and you have proof of delivery or you get the merchandise returned.  This works even when other types of shipping to an area are commonly stolen.

Message 45 of 89
latest reply