cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Style fix for better desktop readability

Anonymous
Not applicable

Fix for Chrome users.   Install Styler extension.  Click the "S" icon and paste the following code into the upper CSS block.  This overrides the page styles and uses full page width.  Adjust as needed.

/* page font adjust */
body, .lia-list-wide > thead > tr > th, .lia-list-wide > thead > tr > td, .lia-list-wide > tbody > tr > th, .lia-list-wide > tbody > tr > td, .lia-list-wide > tfoot > tr > th, .lia-list-wide > tfoot > tr > td  {
  line-height: 1.2;
}

.lia-quilt-column-main-left, .lia-component-position-in-thread, .lia-message-author-rank {
  font-size: 14px;
}

div.body, .lia-message-body-content {
  font-size: 16px !important;
  line-height: 1.2 !important;
}

.lia-quilt-row-forum-message-main div {
  font-size: 10px;
  float: left;
  padding: 3px;
}

/* forum page fonts */
.lia-component-common-widget-user-name {
  font-size: 16px;
}

.lia-link-navigation {
   font-weight: bold;
}

/* smaller avatars */
.user-avatar img {
  width: 60px;
}

/* full page width */
#lia-body .lia-content .lia-quilt .lia-quilt-row-main, #lia-body .lia-content .lia-quilt .lia-page-header, #lia-body .lia-content .lia-quilt .lia-quilt-row-main-left-right, #lia-body .lia-content .lia-quilt .lia-quilt-row-promotion, #lia-body .lia-content .lia-quilt .lia-quilt-row-engagement {
  width: 100%;
}

/* full post width */
.lia-quilt-column-left {
   width: 100%;
}

/* hide sidebar, remove this and sidebar will show at bottom */
.lia-quilt-column-side-content  {
   display: none;
}

/* post borders */
.lia-panel-message-content .lia-decoration-border-content {
  padding: 10px;
  border-color: #aaa;
  border-width: 3px;
  border-style: solid;
}

/* ebay employee pink posts */
.emp-wrapper {
  background-color: pink !important;
}  

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

The above also works for FireFox browser with Stylish addon installed to run the style above. If I want to turn off the style, it is an easy click in the Stylish drop down list on my FireFox toolbar. Just as easy to turn back on too.

The style cleans up the forum white space and non-relevant right hand columns nicely to fit my desktop display which is 1440 pixels wide. The style is easy to edit and turn off something you do not want. I did not like the bold font so I commented it out to turn it off. I may tweak other things or add things as I get used to the style.

@Anonymous Thank you for posting this.

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

On another note, how do I turn on the FireFox browser built in spell checker?

The Lithium forums (not just eBay) have turned off spellcheck in any browser. Now they have done this poorly because spellcheck is off in the reply body of text but on in the subject title box.

This started happening in FireFox Version 24 when FireFox started respecting the spellcheck option set by the web site page. I complained about this years ago and even recently in these forums with the new forums changes here.

http://community.ebay.com/t5/Community-Platform-Feedback/FireFox-browser-spellcheck-please-allow-use...

I prefer using the Firefox browser spellcheck because it is checking as I type and the dictionary of added words applies to all web pages I browse with FireFox.

When I did some research on this issue, there were a couple of discussions in the FireFox community forums. What I understood was that it could be fixed with a greasemonkey script but could not be fixed with a style fix through Stylish addon. I did manage to create a bookmarklet to turn on spellcheck manually. I have the bookmarklet on my Firefox toolbar and have to click it on each time I am posting a reply. I would like to automate this. Can anyone help?

Here is the topic in the FireFox forums discussing the spellcheck issue and the reason why spellcheck no longer works

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/967628?page=2

Current Firefox versions hide Check Spelling in the right-click context menu of a text area if the web page disables the spelling check via a spellcheck="false" attribute of this element.
You can right-click in the text editor area and use "Inspect Element" to see if this text area has a spellcheck="false" attribute.
Removing this spellcheck="false" attribute by selecting it via a double-click and using the Delete or Backspace key should make the Check Spelling item in the right-click context menu reappear.

Here is the FireFox topic which discusses using greasemonkey to automate the spellcheck to be turned on. No greasemonkey script is given and I do not know how to adapt the bookmarklet scripts to greasemonkey. Can someone help?

Thanking in advance anyone who can help with this seemingly trivial little issue which I just find so annoying with these forums for years now.

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

In the style code in the first post, user-avator correct variable name spelling is UserAvatar. This must be corrected for that style override to work.

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

Hello pocomocomputing & clickimusprime.

The following should work to fix the spell check capability that is not enabled on the board:

The platform offers three options for Admin-level users to set up spell checking:

- Browser - Set it to this setting!
- Community Message Editor
- None

Hopefully somone @ EPN admin will see this...

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

@brian.t.johnston wrote:

Hello pocomocomputing & clickimusprime.

The following should work to fix the spell check capability that is not enabled on the board:

The platform offers three options for Admin-level users to set up spell checking:

- Browser - Set it to this setting!
- Community Message Editor
- None

@Hopefully somone @ EPN admin will see this...

I do not understand where to login as Admin.

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

On another note, how do I turn on the FireFox browser built in spell checker?

... What I understood was that it could be fixed with a greasemonkey script but could not be fixed with a style fix through Stylish add on.

Current Firefox versions hide Check Spelling in the right-click context menu of a text area if the web page disables the spelling check via a spellcheck="false" attribute of this element.
You can right-click in the text editor area and use "Inspect Element" to see if this text area has a spellcheck="false" attribute.
Removing this spellcheck="false" attribute by selecting it via a double-click and using the Delete or Backspace key should make the Check Spelling item in the right-click context menu reappear.

Correct. CSS (current levels) can't remove or change element attributes. Requires js.

This is quick and dirty. May need a few syntax tweaks for newer versions of GM and FF to stamp out warnings (works in FF31 with GM 2.3.1).

// ==UserScript==
// @name          FireFox Speelcheck Onerator 0.10  8/12/17
// @namespace     local
// @description   Turn Firefox speelcheck on in eBay Community Forums
// @include       http*://community.ebay.com/*/forums/replypage/*
// @author        berserkerplanet
// @compatibility Firefox 3.6+
// @version       0.10
// @grant         metadata
// ==/UserScript==

//Enable Firefox Speelchecker for MCE editor body element in Community forums  8/12/17
var inputarr=document.getElementsByTagName('body');
if(inputarr != null) for (spidx=0; spidx < inputarr.length; spidx++)
if(inputarr[spidx].id=='tinymce') inputarr[spidx].removeAttribute('spellcheck');

To have the FireFox speelchecker work on single line text boxes also, change

"layout.spellcheckDefault"  setting to  "2"    in FireFox about:config

(0=disabled  1 = multi-line text boxes (default)    2 = any text box)

Message 7 of 7
latest reply