Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

help with art signature

i need help identifying artist signature002.JPG003.JPG

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Re: help with art signature

Yours appears to be a commercially-made decorative painting in which case the "name" of the artist is unimportant.

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

I agree with Debora.

It's what we used to call "sofa art" or "hotel art," or a factory painting.  Therefore, the name painted on it doesn't matter, adds no value, and is unlikely to be the painter's real name, anyhow.

That is not to say that it's badly done or not worth hanging on the wall, only that as a generic piece its monetary value will never be very great. 

Its value is as a decorative piece, so in selling it, emphasize theme, colors, size, framing, and so on.

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

How can you tell it is a commercial made portrait?  I don't know anything about art, I was going to try and figure out the signature 🙂

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

I can't answer for Debora, but for myself:

You can tell it if you've spent years looking at works of art -- in museums and galleries, in people's homes and office, in artists' studios, in books, on-line.

After you've looked at a lot of art, you begin to see the difference between factory art  and non-, and I'd say the key thing is particularity.   Nothing in the real thing is generic.  Every element is particular -- specific and unique to one moment in time and space, and to one moment in the mind and the eye of the painter.  And real art is candid.

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

One giveaway to factory art is it's created quickly for maximum effect.   Another is that some scenes are painted over and over such as a rainy night in Paris or boats in harbor.   But they seem to be painted by someone who is unfamiliar with the location.

Message 6 of 6
latest reply