cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help with ID of 900 silver Salt Shaker with Mark, Figural Head

I stumbled upon this today and was wondering if anyone had any idea of origin? There is a maker's mark, but I doubt it would be anyone famous. It is marked 900 as well. Approx. 2" tall. Dirty, but nice detail. Any help or info would be greatly appreciated. Age, origin (maybe the earrings on the figure would  

help?), and if you know the maker or can point me to a database for things such as these, that would be greatly appreciated! The maker's mark screams Mexico to me, but again, I just don't know. Thanks in advance!

$_57 - 2021-06-28T120344.724.jpg$_57 - 2021-06-28T120350.918.jpg$_57 - 2021-06-28T120359.957.jpg$_57 - 2021-06-28T120408.008.jpg$_57 - 2021-06-28T120415.423.jpg$_57 - 2021-06-28T120422.379.jpg

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Re: Need help with ID of 900 silver Salt Shaker with Mark, Figural Head

The mark looks like a rooster's head in profile...

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

Wow I never noticed that. Thank you! And the search goes on, lol. 

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

Facial features, oversized earrings and helmet (?) make me think it might be a loose Maya/Inca/Aztec interpretation? I agree, get a strong Taxco vibe from that hallmark  

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

I know it, right? Super Taxco impression. I think the cap could be a helmet. Thank you!

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

Could you give the diameter of the base? It looks perfectly round. Spanish and Mexican reale coins as well as US silver coins were about .900 fineness.  Is the cap threaded?

Larry

On the Chisholm Trail.
Message 6 of 14
latest reply

Yes, perfectly round approx. 1.25". I cannot get the cap off, but I am assuming that's because it is threaded.

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

That's about the size of a 4 reale coin, and the .900 mark suggests it could be made of melted coins if it is indeed .900 silver, but I am not an expert on Mexican silver.   Without any common Mexico marks it could be 19th century. Just one mans assessment. 

Larry

On the Chisholm Trail.
Message 8 of 14
latest reply

Thank you so much for the info! I never thought of that! There is that maker's mark that looks like a bird's head, dodo maybe, roadrunner, or similar. Not sure. I cannot find it, but I didn't really expect to. I am just wondering if I should list it as-is (after testing it), and what a fair asking price would be, or should I leave it to auction? I am at a loss here, lol. Thanks again!

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

I got the cap off. Not threaded.

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

It needs to be tested, could be silver plate, which would negate the .900 mark. I would get more input from the folks  on this board. 

Larry

On the Chisholm Trail.
Message 11 of 14
latest reply

900 does not mean it is made from coins: it means 900 parts silver out of 1000.

or 90 percent.

As for the top is shows material in the seam and such is the why the top is stuck. Could have caused corosion under the lid.

as for the hall mark I do not recognize it.

Might also check Norway  marks for this one. It speaks to me of maybe being such..

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

Thank you. I am going to test it this afternoon. It's way too hot right now, lol!

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

Thank you. I was aware that it was 900/1000 just like 925/1000 - parts per thousand. I did get the top off, and there is some debris in there. I will check Norway. Thank you so much! I never would have thought of that! I will be testing it this afternoon 🙂

Message 14 of 14
latest reply