cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking to find out the artist on this minature painting

I would like to know as much as possible about this minature painting.  I know the frame is arts and craft style.  Does anyone recognize the signature?frame.jpgdetail.jpgdetail (2).jpgback.jpgback writting.jpg  Also the back has what looks news print but it is in a foreign language.  I found it at an estate sale and don't know a thing about it.  I would like to list it on Ebay so any suggestions on pricing would also be helpful.

Message 1 of 37
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Thank you all for the comments.  Conclusion is that it is a fake with Swedish Biblical paper on the back and in a baroque frame probably made in the 80's by possibly a chinese reproduction artist. 

View Best Answer in original post

Message 37 of 37
latest reply
36 REPLIES 36

The frame is not within 100 miles of Arts & Crafts. Please retake your detail shots with more light and in focus. Is it under glass? It's almost looking like a print.

Message 2 of 37
latest reply

@sonomabarn67 wrote:

It's almost looking like a print.

just what i was thinking... there doesn't appear to be any texture or brush strokes...

Message 3 of 37
latest reply

@geekie wrote:
Also the back has what looks news print but it is in a foreign language.

Swedish.

Message 4 of 37
latest reply

@argon38 wrote:

@geekie wrote:
Also the back has what looks news print but it is in a foreign language.

Swedish.

It's a page from a Swedish Bible. The text is Jeremiah 38:19-22.

Message 5 of 37
latest reply

Here's a link to the same page in another old Swedish Bible. It isn't the exact same edition, but the typeface is similar enough to let you compare:

http://reader.digitale-sammlungen.de/de/fs1/object/display/bsb11224890_00753.html?zoom=0.85000000000...

Message 6 of 37
latest reply

FWIW It was common practice to paste old paper bits like this on the backs of small framed copies/prints to lend a sense of authenticity for tourist items.

Message 7 of 37
latest reply

@sonomabarn67 wrote:

FWIW It was common practice to paste old paper bits like this on the backs of small framed copies/prints to lend a sense of authenticity for tourist items.

So, a Swedish tourist item? But it bothers me that the flags on the ship don't look particularly Swedish.

Message 8 of 37
latest reply

It is not under glass... so the frame in not arts and crafts?

Message 9 of 37
latest reply

I will try to get better pictures and repost them.
Message 10 of 37
latest reply

This link shows an assortment of Arts and Crafts frames. What do you think?  https://www.google.com/search?q=arts+crafts+picture+frame&client=firefox-b-1&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa...

Message 11 of 37
latest reply

I tried to bounce the light off the image to show the texture.  Not sure if those are brush marks or not.  The signature in the lower right corner appears to definately have a raised texture.

IMG_2821.jpgIMG_2822.jpgIMG_2825.jpgIMG_2828.jpg

Message 12 of 37
latest reply

Your frame would fall into the Baroque classification.

Message 13 of 37
latest reply

Is the picture this dark in person? The glare does not help. Do you have a strong light you could light it up with minus the glare? Have you taken it out of the frame.?  There is a gel that is used to enhance prints to make them look like oil paintings. Do the brushstrokes look clear with the paint underneath?

Message 14 of 37
latest reply

i think that huge hole in the sail is telling a story, but i don't know enough to know what it's saying...

Message 15 of 37
latest reply