cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Clark Gable Jacket - Can anyone help identify the film in which this may have been worn in?

Hi there,

Can anyone be so kind as to help me identify which MGM film this costume was apart of.

The label has the name Cl.Gable (i'm presuming this must have been Clark Gable) and beneath it the numbers 1056-4554. Ive come to understand that these numbers are an in house reference, that will allow me to identify which MGM film production this costume was apart off. However after hours of research i still do not know how to do this?

If anyone in the know could help me I'd greatly appreciate it. Thank you in advance

Message 1 of 20
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Clark Gable Jacket - Can anyone help identify the film in which this may have been worn in?

#7288 - c. 1939 CLARK GABLE's Black Wool Tailcoat Jacket Worn in "Idiot's Delight"!  The Only Movie Mr. Gable Sang and Danced in ... at he Highpoint of His Career... the Same Year as "Gone With The Wind"!  There is a reason Judy Garland sang "You Made Me Love You" to a photo of Clark Gable in "Broadway Melody of 1938"... Because he was Hollywood's biggest male star in the late 1930s!  He portrayed Rhett Butler in "GWTW" by popular demand! This black wool tailcoat jacket is in great shape, and purchased from the MGM Studio auction in the 70's. The proper MGM label is attached inside which reads "Metro Goldwyn Mayer, CL Gable" and has the number 1056-4554.  #1054 is the MGM production number of the movie "Idiot's Delight", and as you can see from this photo, the jacket is obviously correctly labeled! Mr. Gable wore this very jacket while performing the tune "By the Light of the Silvery Moon." If you go to Youtube, and search for "Clark Gable & Chorus", you will see this clip! (This is the only film in which he performed a dance number. He spent 6 weeks rehearsing the steps. Because of his fear of messing it up during a take, the set was closed during the filming of this sequence!) The jacket is also the correct size for Clark Gable.  Though there are no size labels, Clark Gable wore a 42 jacket (found on other costumes of his) and was listed at 6'1" tall.  As you can see, jackets were worn a bit tighter than today, so this is how it will fit you if you wear a 42L jacket. The condition is Excellent for a historic costume piece of over 70 years old!!  Not an issue from the outside, but the back of the inner collar has been glued down. I'm told it was received that way from MGM studios, probably by wardrobe. No moth holes or tears except for one small tear on the seam of the collar (which I have provided pictures of), easily mended... though I like to sell these memorabilia pieces as I find them. This jacket is definitely a very rare and unique item. This item is guaranteed to be 100% authentic.

http://www.antiquedress.com/gallerymemorabilia.htm

View Best Answer in original post

Message 7 of 20
latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

Re: Clark Gable Jacket - Can anyone help identify the film in which this may have been worn in?

Where did you get this? Prop auction, estate sale, etc? Did the seller offer any clues?

Message 2 of 20
latest reply

WC Gable (William Clark Gable)

The letters don't match. Maybe there is a reason for that.

Message 3 of 20
latest reply

Oh, duh...CL is an abbreviation for Clark. Gotta go, they are serving coffee in the next room...

Message 4 of 20
latest reply

Hi there,

Thankyou sombrero for your messages. I have no clues as to what film/production it was apart of from where i sourced the jacket. But from other forum posts it seems as though the 8 digit number underneath is a production number of some sort that will help..

Message 5 of 20
latest reply

"apart of from where i sourced the jacket." Which was?

Is there a link to the other thread?

Sombrero

Message 6 of 20
latest reply

#7288 - c. 1939 CLARK GABLE's Black Wool Tailcoat Jacket Worn in "Idiot's Delight"!  The Only Movie Mr. Gable Sang and Danced in ... at he Highpoint of His Career... the Same Year as "Gone With The Wind"!  There is a reason Judy Garland sang "You Made Me Love You" to a photo of Clark Gable in "Broadway Melody of 1938"... Because he was Hollywood's biggest male star in the late 1930s!  He portrayed Rhett Butler in "GWTW" by popular demand! This black wool tailcoat jacket is in great shape, and purchased from the MGM Studio auction in the 70's. The proper MGM label is attached inside which reads "Metro Goldwyn Mayer, CL Gable" and has the number 1056-4554.  #1054 is the MGM production number of the movie "Idiot's Delight", and as you can see from this photo, the jacket is obviously correctly labeled! Mr. Gable wore this very jacket while performing the tune "By the Light of the Silvery Moon." If you go to Youtube, and search for "Clark Gable & Chorus", you will see this clip! (This is the only film in which he performed a dance number. He spent 6 weeks rehearsing the steps. Because of his fear of messing it up during a take, the set was closed during the filming of this sequence!) The jacket is also the correct size for Clark Gable.  Though there are no size labels, Clark Gable wore a 42 jacket (found on other costumes of his) and was listed at 6'1" tall.  As you can see, jackets were worn a bit tighter than today, so this is how it will fit you if you wear a 42L jacket. The condition is Excellent for a historic costume piece of over 70 years old!!  Not an issue from the outside, but the back of the inner collar has been glued down. I'm told it was received that way from MGM studios, probably by wardrobe. No moth holes or tears except for one small tear on the seam of the collar (which I have provided pictures of), easily mended... though I like to sell these memorabilia pieces as I find them. This jacket is definitely a very rare and unique item. This item is guaranteed to be 100% authentic.

http://www.antiquedress.com/gallerymemorabilia.htm

Message 7 of 20
latest reply

great info
nice find
Message 8 of 20
latest reply

It looks like it is from Gone with the Wind.

Message 9 of 20
latest reply

Wait a minute! OP did or didn't know this when they posted this thread. ? What is this thread about? Is OP trying to sell this jacket? Was it stolen (like the Shirley Temple clothes?) or found left at a bus stop?

Message 10 of 20
latest reply

Oh jeeeze, I hope not!
Message 11 of 20
latest reply

@sonomabarn67 wrote:

Wait a minute! OP did or didn't know this when they posted this thread. ? What is this thread about? Is OP trying to sell this jacket? Was it stolen (like the Shirley Temple clothes?) or found left at a bus stop?

Beats me. 

Message 12 of 20
latest reply

The website says it was sold, but I don't see when.... Who knows how many times it changed hands since that sale?
Message 13 of 20
latest reply

@cltdocmd wrote:
The website says it was sold, but I don't see when.... Who knows how many times it changed hands since that sale?

But how very odd that it would change hands without that info, which adds so much value.

Message 14 of 20
latest reply

cltdocmd Thankyou so very much!! That information is so very useful.

My father came into possession of this jacket through his work (he sells 2nd hand vintage clothes). We had no idea this jacket had sold before, we weren't even sure if it was genuine!

If this wasn't an internet forum and if we weren't on lockdown and i would like to buy you a pint. Thankyou so much for sourcing that information

Message 15 of 20
latest reply