cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can you help identify this studio pottery bowl? Martin?

Hello,
I am bidding on this bowl on a local auction and it is getting to be a bit more than i want to pay. If I had some more information on the artist I may be able to justify spending a bit more. Any information you have could really help. THANKS
LB1.jpgLB2.jpgLB#.jpg

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

I'm not sure, but when I googled leaf bowls, I found a lot of directions for student projects where they rolled out a slab, used a cookie cutter or some other kind of cutter, and layered all the pieces over another bowl to dry. You can see that it was rolled out on burlap.
Janet
Message 2 of 6
latest reply

I think the key to unlocking the mystery of this piece is to properly decipher the name. I doubt it is Martin, but it may be Marin, Maren, or Maun, I simply don't know. As for me, sorry but I am no help with the correct name.

As I am sure you know studio pottery or student pottery is very hard to ID (there is so much undocumented). If I were trying to research this I would start locally, maybe by taking the photo to a local ceramic studio and see if the ceramicist(s) there are familiar with the signature. Local artists often know and can recognize their fellow local artists work and local ceramic history (in case this is older). In the only town I am interested in it's studio ceramics I know a current ceramicist and he is my go-to guy for info about that locales ceramicists.

Concerning the burlap mentioned elsewhere - I have to wonder if that may be a clue as to the artist and its use is part of the design. It would seem to me that other choices of fabric could be made, why did this artist use burlap?
Message 3 of 6
latest reply

@c*me*4*lefton*info wrote:
 I doubt it is Martin, but it may be Marin, Maren, or Maun

Some pieces here signed "Maren" with a maple leaf motif, but the signature is in block capitals:

https://edsindian.hibid.com/lot/62789469/pottery-crudites-dish-and-dip-bowl/ 

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

I'm not a potter, but for slab work, I believe they have to roll the clay out on some kind of sturdy fabric. Burlap is common, also canvas, but burlap has this texture and is inexpensive.
Janet
Message 5 of 6
latest reply

@cbotw27 wrote:

Hello,
I am bidding on this bowl on a local auction and it is getting to be a bit more than i want to pay.

Never bid more than you want to pay. Trust your instincts.

Message 6 of 6
latest reply