cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

--THE NEW COIN CHAT ROOM--

Hate the discussion board format? Wish there was a place to have a running chat like in the old ebay chat rooms that they took away?

Here is the solution, one thread devoted to chatting about anything and everything about coins all in the same place.

Post whatever is on your mind. There is no official topic here. So let's get the chatting started.

Message 1 of 11,869
latest reply
11,868 REPLIES 11,868

I don't follow nascar that close but I think an 8th place finish is pretty impressive. They say a pole position has never won the race and that men are more physically built for racing. She probably is more deserving to be there than half the men on the circuit.

i don't follow it either as a rule... but i was interested in how she'd do...

whoever "they" are is full of it... she's a tiny slip of a thing... 5'2 100 lbs... and she out-drove 35 big hulking men... plus she was in the lead for a number of laps...

Message 8806 of 11,869
latest reply

b4wemet
Trailblazer

b4wemet
Trailblazer

Jeff, Mcdcoins and B4. I do thank you all for the wonderful information on the standing liberty and the 3 cents.

But after today Im no more interested in them. Libery its to expensive to collect the  series the 3¢ nickel makes no sense and I was really into the Mercury dime but when I found out that thiers no mercury that to I lost interest,  So now Im going to get info on the

2¢.:-D

AMY..........Go to your room.  ]:)

Message 8808 of 11,869
latest reply

Ya'll better get to posting more in here or else the political thread is going to pass you by in posts!  (although I don't think they'll ever catch you in views...lol)

Amy, why don't you try to start a type set of coins and just get one decent XF or AU example of all the differing types of coins.  I've kind of gotten bored with the set idea of coins myself and thinking of doing the same thing although I'm going to try to get MS graded coins in NGC or PCGS slabs.  I have a complete type set of coins that are all uncertified and in a book that I called at the time AU condition that I'm thinking of selling off one at a time and replacing with a certified example and then buying some of those notebook style slab page holders and keep them in there. Should make a nice set that would be fun to show to others as well as be easier for my heirs or myself to liquidate or pass down at some point in the future.

There are three kinds of people in life....those that make things happen, those that watch things happen and those that wonder what happened. Which group do you belong?
Message 8809 of 11,869
latest reply

🙂

Oh man that's the second time I was told to go to my room. B4 it's a good thing I was brought up respect my ELDERS.

The more you explain it, the more I don't understand it.

Message 8810 of 11,869
latest reply

Ya'll better get to posting more in here or else the political thread is going to pass you by in posts!  (although I don't think they'll ever catch you in views...lol)

Amy, why don't you try to start a type set of coins and just get one decent XF or AU example of all the differing types of coins.  I've kind of gotten bored with the set idea of coins myself and thinking of doing the same thing although I'm going to try to get MS graded coins in NGC or PCGS slabs.  I have a complete type set of coins that are all uncertified and in a book that I called at the time AU condition that I'm thinking of selling off one at a time and replacing with a certified example and then buying some of those notebook style slab page holders and keep them in there. Should make a nice set that would be fun to show to others as well as be easier for my heirs or myself to liquidate or pass down at some point in the future.

Koin good to see you. I have no clue on types 1 and 2.This is becomeing a project for me. I dont know half the terms. I wasi going to go with  a set. Im was wandering if thier are sets out thier that are few less than a hundred more like 10?. Dates and not that expensive.

I do like history something exciting.

Message 8811 of 11,869
latest reply

Thinking on just buy different sorts of coins that are older and has a good history to them. Any ideas

Message 8812 of 11,869
latest reply

Here's an interesting perspective on women racers:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/janet-guthrie-on-danica-patrick-it-took-too-long-for-another-...

BTW great link. I was to young to remeber her.Heck I cant rember half the races back then.

Message 8813 of 11,869
latest reply

BGB...you could start a collection of Lincoln cents from 1940 on that wouldn't set you back much money at all and many times sellers will sell the PDS of a year at the same time.  You also  could just buy the entire set that starts at 1940 and goes to ?? for not much money...seems around $20 or so depending on the condition of the coins.  I think I still have a couple of sets of them around here someplace..

What I was really thinking though would be to search one coin type at the time on ebay and see what they're selling for and then maybe buy one coin at a time.  You might to start with buy you a nice Dansco type set book to put your coins in as you acquire them.  Some coins you'll be able to put in there from pocket change or a trip to the bank.  Most banks in our area have half dollars and Sacajawea dollars and if you're lucky you might can find one with a Ike dollar that you can get, but if not, you can buy a nice one on ebay for way less than $10.  Once you get a few holes filled in then you will get the fever and want to finish filling in as much as you can.  Maybe try to get one or two coins a month and if later on the early issues cost more then save up a couple a three months and buy a nice one for your book.  Try to keep the grades nearly the same but if you have to on some more expensive coins (example Classic Head large cents) then buy a lesser graded coin to fill in the hole and maybe at a later date you'll have money to upgrade the coin and can use the money from the coin you had to help pay for the upgrade.  And, not sure if you have one or not, but you probably need to get a Redbook Guide Book to United States coins to get a ball park idea of what you might want to pay for a particular coin and some basic grading guides to help you understand what to look for in a certain grade.  Just do it for fun and little by little you'll get more comfortable with your buying decisions and understand more and more about the hobby.  I've been actively collecting since a child but really got into it a lot more when ebay became my friend as living in a very rural area my only choices were a trip to Savannah about 65 miles away to a coin store or to subscribe to Littleton and buy from them.  Ebay and the folks in these rooms I've learned a LOT about coins but still consider myself a newbie compared to many others in here with much more knowledge than me.  What's good is when you find someone with good knowledge who will share that knowledge without all the sarcasm as you sometimes find.  Good luck with it and always have fun with it and know that without a doubt, you're going to get a bad deal along the way somewhere...we all have.  Just try to learn from it, move on and keep learning! 🙂

There are three kinds of people in life....those that make things happen, those that watch things happen and those that wonder what happened. Which group do you belong?
Message 8814 of 11,869
latest reply

jody526
Thrill-Seeker

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jr7McLhZmyE

"Aren't you suppossed to be out driving a truck or something jody?"

amrad78

Message 8815 of 11,869
latest reply

I couldt get in and having trouble posting finally went through

Message 8816 of 11,869
latest reply

b4wemet
Trailblazer

I couldt get in and having trouble posting finally went through

Good Evening Everyone,

How the heck are ya Hump?

Amy, I've been having the same problems posting off and on for a couple of weeks now. A "type set" is just one of each coin.

http://www.coinlink.com/CoinGuide/us-type-coins/

Message 8817 of 11,869
latest reply

b4wemet
Trailblazer

Dang Hump, You been busy. You making up for lost time? J/K.

I still got to get up-to-date on the Buffalo and the joke thread but I remembered to tell you something before I forget. The Political thread has been reduced in posts a couple of times if not more. The way they do these threads now is to conserve data storage, they knock off a couple of thousand of the first posts and set your counter back. As soon as the Chatroom hits 10,000 posts, we'll start see-sawing back and forth with the Political thread.

Message 8818 of 11,869
latest reply

I hear ya B4....I would have thought that politics would be more popular than this board anyhow but we must have brought all the lurkers we had on the other boards over here because there's a whole lotta lurkin goin on donchaknow??

Yea, I really have been around...just sorta hangin out in the attic to see how things go in here...still probably will be a hit and miss kinda chatter because I just don't have but a certain amount of online time available most days and we've been nearly drowned the last couple of weeks with all the rain we've been getting.  My river cabin is surely going to get a test to see if it withstands the rigors that Mother Nature has put it thru with all the water going by and probably thru my little cabin these next few days....Been going to the river every day lately and each time it's gotten higher and higher....Right now I imagine it's about even with the floor of my cabin but I imagine it's gonna go higher as we just got another inch of rain today and got more coming tonight and tomorrow and then it's finally supposed to clear out some..

Message 8819 of 11,869
latest reply

That's not likely anytime soon... if you open it up, you'll see Politics thread has over 23,000 posts... eBay just lopped off the first 14,000 of them to save server space.

The Floggings Will Continue Until Morale Improves.
Message 8820 of 11,869
latest reply