cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

--THE NEW COIN CHAT ROOM--

Hate the discussion board format? Wish there was a place to have a running chat like in the old ebay chat rooms that they took away?

Here is the solution, one thread devoted to chatting about anything and everything about coins all in the same place.

Post whatever is on your mind. There is no official topic here. So let's get the chatting started.

Message 1 of 11,869
latest reply
11,868 REPLIES 11,868

Good Evening Everyone,

How the heck are ya Hump?

Amy, I've been having the same problems posting off and on for a couple of weeks now. A "type set" is just one of each coin.

http://www.coinlink.com/CoinGuide/us-type-coins/

B4 it's a pain in the butt. It just started on me. first time for me in awhile thank you about the types so why do they say type 1 and 2?

Koin I do thank you for the help in deciding which way to go in coins.

The more you explain it, the more I don't understand it.

Message 8821 of 11,869
latest reply

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jr7McLhZmyE

Some folks are truely dumb asses. Great clip.

Message 8822 of 11,869
latest reply

GOOD NIGHT Y'ALL Have a good evening be safe.

Message 8823 of 11,869
latest reply

B4 it's a pain in the butt. It just started on me. first time for me in awhile thank you about the types so why do they say type 1 and 2?

Koin I do thank you for the help in deciding which way to go in coins.

BGB....A type set is one coin of each type of coin such as one Buffalo nickel, one Jefferson nickel, one V nickel ect.  When you might find a coin with a type 1 and 2 that would mean that the mint changed something such as on Buffalo nickels, in the first year they decided that the Buffalo was on too high of a mound of dirt (type 1) and so they redesigned the coin so that it was on a much flatter surface (type 2), so probably your type set book will require two Buffalo nickels to complete but you can get a Philadelphia minted coin in each type for pretty cheap.

Another example would be in the Standing Liberty Quarter series.  The reverse on the type one has no stars on the reverse under the Eagle whereas sometime in 1917 the mint decided they couldn't live without some stars under the Eagle.  I think a few other subtle things were changed as well but basically the stars were the most noticable thing to be added.  Because they're silver and they're old and a somewhat small mintage and if you want both coins to be 1917 then it will cost you more.  You could get a later date for the not Type, but Variety is what they call it in the Redbook. Before I even bought a coin I'd get the Redbook Guide to US Coins and have it as a ready reference when you want to know something.  Tons of good information about coins in there and it will get you off to a good start.  You can probably find one at a coin shop near your area or there should be plenty on ebay but get seems I heard the 2014 is out so get the latest one so that hopefully your values will be somewhat current.  For someone just starting out and not buying too expensive of coins it probably would be ok but many times you can do better than the prices in the book but on some things you might get lucky to find a coin for the price listed.

When picking a coin, try to find coins that look natural, that aren't beat up and have gouges in them or big rim dings or hits.  Of course, in lower circulated coins you might have to live with some of that unless you're very patient and wait for just the right coin to come up for auction.  Even then, don't go above a set amount that you want to pay and if it goes to someone else, then they'll be another to come by...might take a little while. But, just do it to have fun and to learn, and if you don't have much money to play with, you can just practice bidding on some coins and see if you would have won had you had the money so that when you do get a little jingle saved up in your pocket you'll be more aware of what you want to spend.  I myself almost never outright buy a coin and NEVER bid on a coin until about the last 5 to 10 seconds.  That way I don't get cought up in a bid war and if I'm outbid, then so be it.  For many coins that end at odd times I use a sniper bidding service to do my bidding for me so if a coin costs $100 then it costs me $101 when I add in the 1% that the sniper program costs.   Anyway, just keep asking  questions and if I'm around I'll do my best to answer them for you.  The only way the hobby can survive is for us older folks (54) to keep recruiting younger ones to learn and enjoy the hobby...

There are three kinds of people in life....those that make things happen, those that watch things happen and those that wonder what happened. Which group do you belong?
Message 8824 of 11,869
latest reply

BGB....A type set is one coin of each type of coin such as one Buffalo nickel, one Jefferson nickel, one V nickel ect.  When you might find a coin with a type 1 and 2 that would mean that the mint changed something such as on Buffalo nickels, in the first year they decided that the Buffalo was on too high of a mound of dirt (type 1) and so they redesigned the coin so that it was on a much flatter surface (type 2), so probably your type set book will require two Buffalo nickels to complete but you can get a Philadelphia minted coin in each type for pretty cheap.

Another example would be in the Standing Liberty Quarter series.  The reverse on the type one has no stars on the reverse under the Eagle whereas sometime in 1917 the mint decided they couldn't live without some stars under the Eagle.  I think a few other subtle things were changed as well but basically the stars were the most noticable thing to be added.  Because they're silver and they're old and a somewhat small mintage and if you want both coins to be 1917 then it will cost you more.  You could get a later date for the not Type, but Variety is what they call it in the Redbook. Before I even bought a coin I'd get the Redbook Guide to US Coins and have it as a ready reference when you want to know something.  Tons of good information about coins in there and it will get you off to a good start.  You can probably find one at a coin shop near your area or there should be plenty on ebay but get seems I heard the 2014 is out so get the latest one so that hopefully your values will be somewhat current.  For someone just starting out and not buying too expensive of coins it probably would be ok but many times you can do better than the prices in the book but on some things you might get lucky to find a coin for the price listed.

When picking a coin, try to find coins that look natural, that aren't beat up and have gouges in them or big rim dings or hits.  Of course, in lower circulated coins you might have to live with some of that unless you're very patient and wait for just the right coin to come up for auction.  Even then, don't go above a set amount that you want to pay and if it goes to someone else, then they'll be another to come by...might take a little while. But, just do it to have fun and to learn, and if you don't have much money to play with, you can just practice bidding on some coins and see if you would have won had you had the money so that when you do get a little jingle saved up in your pocket you'll be more aware of what you want to spend.  I myself almost never outright buy a coin and NEVER bid on a coin until about the last 5 to 10 seconds.  That way I don't get cought up in a bid war and if I'm outbid, then so be it.  For many coins that end at odd times I use a sniper bidding service to do my bidding for me so if a coin costs $100 then it costs me $101 when I add in the 1% that the sniper program costs.   Anyway, just keep asking  questions and if I'm around I'll do my best to answer them for you.  The only way the hobby can survive is for us older folks (54) to keep recruiting younger ones to learn and enjoy the hobby...

Koin I do thank you. Its always good to learn from The older folks. They have a lot more experience in it.:-D I do have a coin book. Called the black book. World coins I believe. I bidded on a coin the day after I bought my last coin and it hasnt arrived yet.Gotta feeling Iv been screwed again. Im limited on funds buying great coins due to my car.

Some of the coins that I have seen are cheap but they were cleaned, They dont look to bad. But are they worth buying?. Now matter what. I still try not to like the mercury dimes. Thier fasinating to me. but some can be very expensive. On the mints which ones are the best to go after?

Message 8825 of 11,869
latest reply

I think Im going to look for a good shielded nickel and a 3 cent one. Which would be a good buy in year. and mint.

Message 8826 of 11,869
latest reply

Good Evening Everyone,

How the heck are ya Hump?

Amy, I've been having the same problems posting off and on for a couple of weeks now. A "type set" is just one of each coin.

http://www.coinlink.com/CoinGuide/us-type-coins/

B4 I looked through some of the coins thier one that did caught my eye was the flowing hair. I choked on how much they were going for.

Message 8827 of 11,869
latest reply

B4 I looked through some of the coins thier one that did caught my eye was the flowing hair. I choked on how much they were going for.

I asked a question but going through the linked did help a lot.

Koin do appreciate the help.

Message 8828 of 11,869
latest reply

b4wemet
Trailblazer

Good Evening Everyone. 😉

Message 8829 of 11,869
latest reply

jody526
Thrill-Seeker

Good evening.

Nice to see you.

"Aren't you suppossed to be out driving a truck or something jody?"

amrad78

Message 8830 of 11,869
latest reply

b4wemet
Trailblazer

Right back at ya, Jody. I've been learning quite a bit from the recent links to coin info in the various threads. Most recent was the ID of the Buff 5¢.

Message 8831 of 11,869
latest reply

jody526
Thrill-Seeker

Well, learning is 99% of the fun, for me anyway.

amrad78

Message 8832 of 11,869
latest reply

b4wemet
Trailblazer

Well, learning is 99% of the fun, for me anyway.

Agreed. There was a ton of interesting things in that thread about U.S. mints producing foreign coins.

Message 8833 of 11,869
latest reply

jody526
Thrill-Seeker

Sure was.

No way to keep all that in your head, so having an online reference can be invaluabl.

amrad78

Message 8834 of 11,869
latest reply

I have an item coming from Hyde Park, New York, United States. Bought it on the 21st.  How much longer shall I wait to contact them

Message 8835 of 11,869
latest reply