cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slabbed coins by INB

OK.  I know (now) that INB grades aren't reliable.  But, I took a flyer and bought a lot of 100 slabbed coins for $200 that are "graded" by INB. 

My real question is: 

Would it be better to:
  1. Keep them slabbed and tagged and sell them as INB graded?
  2. Keep them slabbed and remove the INB grading label (if possible without destroying the slab) and sell them as ungraded?
  3. or
  4. Remove them from the slabs and sell them as loose coins?

I haven't received them yet, so I don't know how hard it would be to remove the label or unslab them.
Also, I'm just getting started in this, and was unaware of INB's reputation when I bought them, but have learned a lot from this community discussion!
Thanks for any insight you can provide.

Message 1 of 48
latest reply
47 REPLIES 47

Slabbed coins by INB

15 Julio 2017- Hola Marti, your post of 14 Julio 1722 hrs:   It is possible that neither of those 2 'posters' are still reading the posts on this coin & paper chatting board.

However, el Heron found your comentarios to be interesting.   Make more comentarios and help keep this chatting board ALIVE!   Regardos.

Message 31 of 48
latest reply

Slabbed coins by INB

Are you saying that the 8th coin, originally graded by INB as MS-65, was regraded by PCGS as MS-70 ?

Was it a bullion coin ?

(BTW.....IJ is NARU)

Message 32 of 48
latest reply

Slabbed coins by INB

@b-17blinker wrote:

Are you saying that the 8th coin, originally graded by INB as MS-65, was regraded by PCGS as MS-70 ?

that's the way i read it... sounds like a crock...

Message 33 of 48
latest reply

Slabbed coins by INB

what's that got to do with anything?

Message 35 of 48
latest reply

Slabbed coins by INB

@*smedley* wrote:

Example of coin purchased by the poster who revived the thread.

Message 36 of 48
latest reply

Slabbed coins by INB

Holas Amigos!   Heron noticed that one a the posters on this 'thread' stated that he is a Senior Numismatist.   Heron would like to apply for that title.   Would 71 plus years in the coin hobby PLUS being over 81 years old be enough to qualify? Nyuk.

Regardos.  

Message 37 of 48
latest reply

Slabbed coins by INB

@tdziemianowicz wrote:

@*smedley* wrote:

Example of coin purchased by the poster who revived the thread.

To be more precise ... coin bought on eBay last week by the poster claiming the INB grades held up.

Not bullion as supposed by another observer.

Message 38 of 48
latest reply

Slabbed coins by INB

@tdziemianowicz wrote:

...claiming the INB grades held up.

two words: reverse hit

Message 39 of 48
latest reply

Slabbed coins by INB

@*smedley* wrote:

@tdziemianowicz wrote:

...claiming the INB grades held up.

?

Message 40 of 48
latest reply

Slabbed coins by INB

@tdziemianowicz wrote:

?

there's no way that coin is even close to 70... besides, OP said he cracked an INB 65 and got a PCGS 70 out of it...

Message 41 of 48
latest reply

Slabbed coins by INB

@*smedley* wrote:

@tdziemianowicz wrote:

?

there's no way that coin is even close to 70... besides, OP said he cracked an INB 65 and got a PCGS 70 out of it...

I'll take your word for it. 

That sale was so recent, it don't think it could have been one of the coins he (or she) mentioned anyhow.  Was just trying to provide an example that the poster has bought, in case that shed some light on the discussion.

Message 42 of 48
latest reply

Slabbed coins by INB

oh ok...

Message 43 of 48
latest reply

Slabbed coins by INB

@*smedley* wrote:

@b-17blinker wrote:

that's the way i read it... sounds like a crock...

That would be highly unusual, at least... Smiley Wink

http://coinauctionshelp.com/INB_TPGS.html

The Floggings Will Continue Until Morale Improves.
Message 44 of 48
latest reply

Slabbed coins by INB

I have not heard of that company so thank you for sharing so I can watch for them. I believe I would use this as an educational opportunity. Go to a good sized coin show with your INB slabs and compare them to the same denomination and date from reputable graders like NGC and PCGS. You would eyeball it if you got it from the mint or in change to grade it and possibly submit it for slabbing so I figure the process would work here for comparison. Also, when I took the grading courses at the American Numismatic Association's Summer Seminar, they said to go to shows and look at the coins and grade them on your own to see if your interpretation of the grading standards match the dealers and graders at the third party sites. They stressed doing this for the Unc. and Proof grades since the higher grades are hard to distinguish. I believe you may get lucky with some of them being accurately graded. Those can be submitted to a reputable grader to lock in their value. The others that are clearly the wrong grade can be dealt with as you see fit.

Message 45 of 48
latest reply