cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slabbed coins by INB

OK.  I know (now) that INB grades aren't reliable.  But, I took a flyer and bought a lot of 100 slabbed coins for $200 that are "graded" by INB. 

My real question is: 

Would it be better to:
  1. Keep them slabbed and tagged and sell them as INB graded?
  2. Keep them slabbed and remove the INB grading label (if possible without destroying the slab) and sell them as ungraded?
  3. or
  4. Remove them from the slabs and sell them as loose coins?

I haven't received them yet, so I don't know how hard it would be to remove the label or unslab them.
Also, I'm just getting started in this, and was unaware of INB's reputation when I bought them, but have learned a lot from this community discussion!
Thanks for any insight you can provide.

Message 1 of 48
latest reply
47 REPLIES 47

Slabbed coins by INB

Hello all, I bet the seller gets a negative. But the op will never admit it!  John

Message 16 of 48
latest reply

Slabbed coins by INB

@bjdrg wrote:

Hello all, I bet the seller gets a negative. But the op will never admit it!  John

What makes you think that the OP bought them on eBay?

Message 17 of 48
latest reply

Slabbed coins by INB

Hello Norm, you are right, the op never stated he bought them here, I just assumed he did because I have seen them listed here in those size lots. When I started this reply I thought I was in the bar Cheers. LOL.  John

Message 18 of 48
latest reply

Slabbed coins by INB

@davidgallston wrote:

@indian_jeff wrote:

No. I never smile. I make my customers smile, chuckle and laugh, though. Of course, that's only when I'm being serious.

Smiley Very Happy

Really. One of my big laugh lines is my answer to, "How often does the price of silver change?":

Every thirty seconds.

On the other hand, when I say something ludicrous, the response is usually to take what I say seriously. So, it all evens out.

Message 19 of 48
latest reply

Slabbed coins by INB

Just curious, is this your employer?

Message 20 of 48
latest reply

Slabbed coins by INB

@indian_jeff wrote:

@davidgallston wrote:

@indian_jeff wrote:

No. I never smile. I make my customers smile, chuckle and laugh, though. Of course, that's only when I'm being serious.

Smiley Very Happy

Really. One of my big laugh lines is my answer to, "How often does the price of silver change?":

Every thirty seconds.

On the other hand, when I say something ludicrous, the response is usually to take what I say seriously. So, it all evens out.

I'd love to spend a day in the shop with you. I am sure it would be most entertaining. 

Hum, I thought I made a fairly lengthy response to OP and it went poof. Go figure.

Message 21 of 48
latest reply

Slabbed coins by INB

@davidgallston wrote:

@indian_jeff wrote:

@davidgallston wrote:

@indian_jeff wrote:

Smiley Very Happy

Every thirty seconds.

I'd love to spend a day in the shop with you. I am sure it would be most entertaining. 

Hum, I thought I made a fairly lengthy response to OP and it went poof. Go figure.

Could it be you have confused which thread you posted on?  Maybe it was RE: Help with Silver Round.   The titles are similar.     ~Lori

Message 22 of 48
latest reply

Slabbed coins by INB

@jesusrocks3339 wrote:

@davidgallston wrote:

@indian_jeff wrote:

@davidgallston wrote:

@indian_jeff wrote:

Smiley Very Happy

Every thirty seconds.

Could it be you have confused which thread you posted on?  Maybe it was RE: Help with Silver Round.   The titles are similar.     ~Lori

Lori,

Maybe it was. I am easily confused 🙂  Thanks

David

Message 23 of 48
latest reply

Slabbed coins by INB

Why do you want to know for whom I work, cache u nut?

Message 24 of 48
latest reply

Slabbed coins by INB

@davidgallston wrote:

@indian_jeff wrote:

@davidgallston wrote:

@indian_jeff wrote:

Smiley Very Happy

Every thirty seconds.

"I'd love to spend a day in the shop with you. I am sure it would be most entertaining."

My customers seem to think so. Of course, many of them are getting monetarily rewarded for hanging out with me. Still, I like to make my customers laugh and I'll use every tool in my kit to get them to do so, without resorting to jokes. I also enjoy educating my customers. Yesterday, for instance, I had a father and son come by to look through Mercury dimes in our junk silver bin. I was telling them (but mainly the son, Jedidiah) about the Great Depression and World War II's affect on coinage when the father asked me about 1921.

That sent me off on how Harding handled the recession of 1920 versus Hoover and FDR's handling of the recession of 1929, and then going on to compare it to how Obama has handled this current recession. Jedidiah stopped looking at the dimes and was following my argument with rapt attention. That was pretty cool. 

That's one of the aspects of numismatics that I so love: It ties in with everything!

Message 25 of 48
latest reply

Slabbed coins by INB

@indian_jeff wrote:

You're entirely welcome. 

By the way, I'm the senior numismatist at a very successful coin shop.

INB isn't a grading company. If the coins are in an INB slab, that means they're not worth slabbing. Period. You didn't mention what your coins are. My guess is that they're post 1964 US. 

I thought "Don" was the senior numismatist at his coin shop? Wouldn't that just make you a senior clerk? Assigning that label to yourself here does not make your opinion any more valuable that other posters.

Message 26 of 48
latest reply

Slabbed coins by INB

No, Richard, I'm looking at the business card my boss had printed for me and it says, very clearly:

Jeff Brody, Senior Numismatist

Customer Service Manager

He's is the owner and, since he owns three other businesses, more and more he is divorcing himself from the 9 to 5, especially when he is away at major shows.

Message 27 of 48
latest reply

Slabbed coins by INB

Here's a definition of clerk: A person employed, as in an office, to keep records, file, type,or perform other general office tasks.

I don't do any of those things. 

As senior numismatist, my job is to buy (and sell) coins. I have to rapidly and accurately grade and appraise them so that both the customer and my boss get a fair deal. After the fact, I search through hoards to see if there is anything of numismatic value. I also go through proof sets, for instance, looking for coins that might be worth having certified. 

It's a highly skilled position. I buy and sell millions of dollars worth per annum and am paid comensurately. And, if I'm lucky, I spend everything I make on coins that I purchase from my boss. Last year, I actually spent more than my gross pay here.

Message 28 of 48
latest reply

Slabbed coins by INB

YEAH RELLY I BOUGHT ONE GRADED BY THEM AND THEN HAD PGC GRADE AND BOOM GRADED THE SAME THEY ARE NEW GRADERS THERE FOR PEOPLE HATE AND THE BIGGER COMPANYS SPIT VENOM ON THEM BECAUSE THEY WANT NO COMP

Message 29 of 48
latest reply

Slabbed coins by INB

LOOK I HAVE BROKEN THERE COINS OUT OF THERE INB HOLDERS AND SENT THEM TO PCGS AND IN 7 OF THE 8 CASES THEY GRADED THE SAME IN THE 8TH CASE THEY GRADED HIGH FROM A 65 TO 70 HATERS GOING TO HATE 

SEND THEM AND HAVE GRADED IF HIGH DOLLAR IF NOT LIST IN A JUNK DRAWER GRADED COIN LOT AS YOUR HEADING THEN YOU CAN START AT WHATEVER YOU WANT JUST DONT MENTION THE GRADER AND THEY WILL BRING GOOD CASH 

Message 30 of 48
latest reply