cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AI and Coins

Many sellers are relying on eBay's AI technology to produce the descriptions for the coins they're selling.

I typed, with quotation marks, the phrase "must-have for any serious collector" into the eBay search engine and received 120,000+ results.

eBay AI is making these ill-informed sellers sound like untrustworthy used car dealers and snake oil salesmen.

-----------------------------------------
Stupid results:

"Not only is this quarter a rare find, but it is also uncertified, which adds to its exclusivity."
[uncertified coins are the opposite of exclusive]

"Mint condition for it's age."
[condition has nothing to do with age]

1958-D damaged cent:
"Although uncertified, this coin is in excellent condition and showcases the quality of the Denver mint."
[sounds like something our VP would say]  *strike that*

1964-D circulated Lincoln cent:
"Don't miss out on this opportunity to own a piece of history!"
[every single US coin is apparently a piece of history]

circulated Roosevelt dime:
"It is ungraded and uncertified, adding to its appeal as a unique piece of United States coinage"
[being ungraded and uncertified is completely irrelevant to a coin's appeal]

Lincoln cent with "grease errors":
"Certification for this item is not available, but its condition is evident in its impeccable strike"
[unavailable certification is completely irrelevant regarding condition]

Clearly, the AI needs some work!

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Re: AI and Coins

Very good information.  The AltHeron can agree with the situation.

The last time Heron checked he discovered that 'puffing' in advertising is not a criminal offense.  HOWEVER, what your dissertation proves is that every potential buyer should be aware of the numismatic 'grades'. Plus your dissertation also proves the statement CAVEAT EMPTOR.

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

it's ridiculous that these computer programs are termed AIs... there's nothing I about any of them...

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

No one that knows even a little about numismatics would fall for any of those descriptions. 

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

The thing about "artificial intelligence" is that it doesn't exist. We are nowhere near real AI. All we have are normal people creating increasingly complex computer programs, and then applying them incorrectly and indiscriminately. We have a few more years before the machines take over. With any luck, maybe some of them will become coin collectors. 

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

• It has not been certified, but it has been cleaned to bring out its natural shine.
  • The absence of a Mint mark adds to its uniqueness and collectibility.
  • The coin was struck at an unknown Mint location, adding to its mysterious appeal. (no mint mark cent)
Message 6 of 9
latest reply

I have determined AI stands for Apparently Ignorant. As far as I have seen on this platform, the current used of AI in writing descriptions is generic and doesn't describe the particular item that is being sold often simply using the data in the 'item specifics' to regurgitate a lackluster description. I learned quickly which description are AI and overlook them. The AI descriptions on a listing give me a certain negative reaction to the seller as someone who cannot accurately describe an item or doesn't believe it important to describe an item. The AI I have seen in practice on this platform for checking listings for violations, tends to not recognize fraudulent practices and counterfeit coins causing a concerned buyer to feel it is useless to report those activities. This is my opinion.

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

Tried an AI description once. Wow! Deleted it immediately and went back to my usual informative but minimal descriptions. They are certainly a load of manure!

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

@times-change wrote:

The AI descriptions on a listing give me a certain negative reaction to the seller as someone who cannot accurately describe an item or doesn't believe it important to describe an item. 

that sounds like a very good reason to closely examine said item(s)... 

Message 9 of 9
latest reply