cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Hide Ebay Suggestions" IS NOT AN OPTION IN EBAY SEARCH BOX ANYMORE???

Just noticed that "Hide Ebay Suggestions" is not and option in the eBay search box. 

I saw another dissussion thread to add a line to the host file:  0.0.0.0  autosug.ebay.com or install Adblocker Plus which I did and put a rule in: autosug.ebay.com^$domain=ebay.com but both do not work for me.  The best they do is stop the automatic eBay search suggestions from showing but my own that I typed in previously do not show.  My work computers still have the the option but the ones at home do not.  All are Windows 7 64bit.  I mostly use IE 11 but same issue on Chrome

Anybody with any ideas?

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Re: "Hide Ebay Suggestions" IS NOT AN OPTION IN EBAY SEARCH BOX ANYMORE???

I posted in the other thread. What I said is that the ebay search window no longer 'allows' your previously typed searches to appear. I tried the filter rules in my adblocker and yes, that stopped the auto suggestions.  However, it turns out that's not real useful when you have to re-type your usual searches every time because the hide ebay suggestions icon/script is obviously still gone. Some perviously typed searches do appear in puple at the top of the suggestions list so perhaps you just have to key in your searches until it fills up with your last several items? Not sure, I have not gotten that far because it was so frustrating to have to deal with it.

I am still baffled why this feature disappeared because it worked.

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

With those 2 "fixes" (I tried both) the new eBay suggestions don't show which is good but your old search list of specific items doesn't show up either..........Now you have to remember them which is a joke.  

Even with this new eBay auto suggestion like Amazon  it never remembers my search items anyway so how useless is that.  Whoever makes these descisions should be fired!!

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

As a workaround, make a file of your eBay searches that you can just copy/paste into the search bar.

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

Well it sure looks like the idea was to do away with the hide ebay suggestions feature to 'control' your searches more. 

On the one hand, it does appear that the more things you key in, recent searches populate when you begin typing. However, their suggestions still appear in the dialog box below a divider line. What's odd is there are things in there I hadn't searched for in years.

In general, it appears they are pushing their suggestions more to try and drive you towards things you might not necessarily search for unless it was forced in front of your face.

Another thing taken out of people's hands by the bean counters. Completely annoying.

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

It still doesn't remember all my specific searches so what good is it?????  Just makes searching more frustrating and time consuming. 

If I'm searching for a certain item it does not show up in eBay's "ram it down your throat" search so why do they think it's better?

At work we use "Websense" to filter internet content and all the eBay ads are removed and the search box still has the choice to "hide eBay suggestions".  The eBay pages refresh/load so much faster without all those ads

I can't beleive we are the only few users complaing about this.  I would think many would hate this and demad it be changed back to give us a choice

Anybody have a real fix that will restore the autocomplete history to the eBay search box?

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

Well amazingly, the orange icon and hide Ebay suggestions feature came back for a few days but then just like that it was gone again. I'm not surre why this happens, seems totally random. The feature stays on my work computer all the time but for some reason it likes to disppear on my personal laptop. My only explantion is Firefox updates but that seems like a stretch. If the updates were casuing problems, why would that one thing be the only notieable issue? Kinda makes no sense but I guess it could be possible.

I wish Ebay would make it a choosable preference in your profile or on your My Ebay page rather than something that is seemingly beyond your control.

I agree that typing all your searches in again is totally annoying, it's like losing years of stuff. I have not been using Ebay as much because of the loss of this feature, it's way too frutrating.

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

It's funny.......seems to be working now on my home PCs for the last several days.  Maybe they read these and it knocked some sense into them!!!

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

I get the suggestions no matter what browser I use.  Believe it or not, I actually DON'T need any suggestions but big bro/Sis/Daddy have decided otherwise.

Just for once, I'd like to see something I really WANT implemented  like being able to set USA as the default setting until or unless I actually WANT a global search.  ..or maybe fix the postage rate settings they use here so they calculate right and sellers don't have to needlessly refund overcharges.  

Don't.Want.Suggestions .or Autocomplete.  I have my own intelligence (no matter what anyone thinks to the contrary) thank you.

Sorry for the rant, just letting OP know they ain't alone in irritation at this.

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

Still not working for me.
I actually did a Windows refresh/update recently because my computer was really slow and the Hide Ebay Suggestions was one thing I hoped would come back - it didn't.
There's now a "view saved searches" icon at the bottom of the suggestions list but I don't use it since I don't have any saved searches - my "saved searches" were my cached items!
Message 10 of 11
latest reply

Realize ebay is future oriented, is not implementing desired change for current users like you and I, but change for future users ebay hopes to attract.

No big deal to ebay, if some of us decide to leave.

Message 11 of 11
latest reply