cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay Seller Using A Refund Back To Buyer (Me) To Get Around Delivery After Latest Est. Del. Date.

Question: An eBay seller is using a full refund back to the buyer (me) to get around delivery after the latest estimated delivery date and kindly have the buyer pay back the seller once the item arrives to me – what should I do?

Hello! Yes, the eBay seller immediately issued me a full refund after I day I purchased the eBay item knowing that the eBay item would not arrive by the latest estimated delivery date. In a private message, the eBay seller asked if I could pay him/her back once I received the item after the estimated delivery date. The eBay seller quickly shipped the eBay item to me before issuing me a refund after obviously realizing it would not arrive by the last estimated delivery date. According to eBay policy after speaking with eBay Customer Service, I could open a case against the eBay seller if I did not get the eBay item by the last estimated delivery date and get a full refund (and keep the eBay item too!). I am sure the eBay seller knows this and that is why the eBay seller issued me a quick refund (as the item is being shipped to me too). VERY SMART AND CLEVER FOR THE EBAY SELLER TO DO THIS TO ME AND TRY TO BEAT THE SYSTEM! The eBay seller knows he or she is at a total loss of the item at this point and is HOPING I pay the eBay seller back once I eventually receive the item. Total loss if the eBay seller did not issue a full refund to me as I can open a case after the last estimated delivery date and win (full refund and keep eBay item) and be angry too with the eBay seller. I think the eBay seller is thinking a full refund from the eBay seller is a better bet hoping for me to pay him or her back than a total loss. Again, according to eBay policy, I am not obligated to pay the eBay seller back! This is a trick as I see it to get around eBay policy and try to get paid back! THIS IS UNDERHANDED! What should I do? The eBay seller is hoping in his or her good faith, yes; I should pay the eBay seller back – but I am not obligated to do so. The eBay seller did not fulfill his eBay listing’s shipping delivery agreement. I am still waiting on the item to arrive at this time. What should I do? This is the first time this has happened to me!  

Message 1 of 23
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: eBay Seller Using A Refund Back To Buyer (Me) To Get Around Delivery After Latest Est. Del. Date

Okay, I am back.

I have spoke with eBay a short time ago this evening. I hate now that you have to go through Live Chat in order to speak with someone over the phone as Live chat is where any type of contact starts.

Anyways, eBay told me this after much deliberation with supervisors. The item was somehow never sent and was picked up by the seller the following day the item was sent, so it never left the Post Office. I am not sure how that happened as packages are shipped from the shipper P.O. daily, but somehow the seller was able to stop and still pick it up. That says all to me! So, the seller had it right along and was lying to me!!! So, the seller has trying to scam me and get paid back for it for an item not received!!! MY INTUITION WAS RIGHT!!! According to the eBay rep., the seller has been warned!!! I like to know what the seller receives when they are warned, the eBay rep. never shared with me what they do to sellers in this situation??? 

So, I have learned something today (...and I hope all of you do too)! ...to watch out when a seller gives you a refund the same time the item is shipped and then stops in shipment! A big warning sign!!! This would have ended up being an item not received case if the seller did not refund me that next day and I would have won anyways the eBay rep. told me! It was a BIG SCAM attempt!!! 

Anyways, thank you very much for all your input for everyone! CASE SOLVED!

View Best Answer in original post

Message 17 of 23
latest reply
22 REPLIES 22

Re: eBay Seller Using A Refund Back To Buyer (Me) To Get Around Delivery After Latest Est. Del. Date

Do the right thing, you shouldn't keep both the refund and the item. Just write "Return to sender" on the package if you do get it.

"Those who enter the arena unarmed or unprepared are quickly dispatched."
Message 2 of 23
latest reply

I could open a case against the eBay seller if I did not get the eBay item by the last estimated delivery date and get a full refund (and keep the eBay item too!).”

It doesn’t seem that it occurred to you that it would be unethical to do that.

Thanks for posting. Very enlightening.

Message 3 of 23
latest reply

Might seek legal advice if you receive the item and do not pay for it...

It also may be they did an intercept of the package to have it returned to them...I would have.

" This is a trick as I see it to get around eBay policy and try to get paid back! THIS IS UNDERHANDED! What should I do?"

You have already set up your mind to do what you will do>

Why ask here.

Are you sure the item and sale was not canceled by the seller??

Message 4 of 23
latest reply

Hello.  Nice to meet you! Yes, I see the ethical side and the policy side are in opposition to each other. I do not know what to do to be fair. If sellers start to do this when the shipment of the item is in limbo and getting close to or exceeds the estimated delivery date to get around policy, this is not good. Puts the buyer in a precarious situation! I do see the seller is trying to get around the system and hope and pray I pay the seller back for the seller's mistake. No. I have not made up my mind. I also see the seller is being underhanded and not ethical too. 

Message 5 of 23
latest reply

Seller refunded you because the item was not delivered on time and asked you to repay for the item should you receive it. I don't see the seller trying to get around anything, there is no penalty if the item arrives late for the seller. There was nothing unethical about what the seller did, you appear to be the one with an ethics problem. There is no need to pray, God's assistance is not needed here. Get off of your High Horse.

"Those who enter the arena unarmed or unprepared are quickly dispatched."
Message 6 of 23
latest reply

Yes, to add to your question... ...the item was canceled by the seller. 

Message 7 of 23
latest reply

@bj95212 wrote:

Hello.  Nice to meet you! Yes, I see the ethical side and the policy side are in opposition to each other. I do not know what to do to be fair. If sellers start to do this when the shipment of the item is in limbo and getting close to or exceeds the estimated delivery date to get around policy, this is not good. Puts the buyer in a precarious situation! I do see the seller is trying to get around the system and hope and pray I pay the seller back for the seller's mistake. No. I have not made up my mind. I also see the seller is being underhanded and not ethical too. 

Maybe I'm misunderstanding I don't see anything unethical or underhanded. 

The seller is hoping by being honest and respectful issuing a refund when you may still receive the item.  That you will in return be honest and respectful repay if you do get it.   If the seller did it willingly or if you opened a case the result would be the same for the seller you could keep the item and not return.  Doing something they may have felt morally right on their own for you in the hopes you do the same isn't underhanded it's how society should work.  

“Birth certificates show that you were born. Death certificates show that you died. Photographs show that you have lived.” -Unknown
Message 8 of 23
latest reply

@bj95212 wrote:

Yes, to add to your question... ...the item was canceled by the seller. 

Means the item is not coming: what is the reason for the cancel??

Message 9 of 23
latest reply

Whoops! There goes another ruBBer tree pLant!!!

Message 10 of 23
latest reply

@bj95212,

First, paragraph breaks are your friend.  

Considering how many times you have stated in your topic that you are not obligated to repay the seller, it is obvious you do not intend to.  If there is any question of ethics, yours would be the one in question.   However, the sellers who frequent and help people on this board do thank you for posting this topic.

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 11 of 23
latest reply

@mtgraves7984 wrote:

Whoops! There goes another ruBBer tree pLant!!!

I see what you did there.😏

If you have never owned a dachshund, no explanation is possible.
If you have owned a dachshund, no explanation is necessary.
(with apologies to St. Thomas Aquinas)
Message 12 of 23
latest reply

@bj95212 

Is it a newer seller?

Sounds like they are trying to get out of paying Ebay fee's?

How do they want you to repay them?

Have a great day
Message 13 of 23
latest reply

Okay, I am back... ...I just read your comment and I was heated... ...and then realized after seeing your point as you are looking at this from face value and I could concur with you with your assessment, I need to give you and others here some serious background information about this issue! Just maybe you can see where I am coming from with this particular eBay sale!

Let me elaborate on the seller...

I ordered from this seller just over 3 weeks ago now and the item was for $24.99 plus tax. After the seller canceled my item and refunded me, the seller asked for a payback once I received the item in a message. I did not immediately respond to the seller and was thinking of doing just that (payback) once it arrived, figuring it was going to arrive soon-like. That was then! That was about 2 weeks ago. It passed the estimated delivery date and since then, I have been waiting for the item to arrive. What is going on with it, I have no idea? It is coming from New Jersey (USA) and stalled there. I have contacted USPS at my Post Office and they have no idea what is going on. They say it should arrive soon and sit tight. Okay!?! Since then, the seller has been messaging me 2-3 times a day demanding from me to pay him back every day! I have yet to receive the item!!! So, I am getting tired of these messages from him or her for payback!!!! So, what you do start to think when you get these demanding messages to pay the seller back when I do not have the item yet on a canceled order??? Your mind starts to go wild and think this seller is NOT legit!!! Maybe it is me, but I have a good 6th sense about this!!! What would YOU think??? I start to think something is up with the seller NOT ethical or moral in his or her actions!!! Anyways, I am going to contact eBay later tonight about this and look into this! Anyways, I am on the fence to pay the seller now. I have to know what to do with this seller and paying him or her back! I have contacted eBay for help on this issue a short time ago and they have told me per eBay policy that I am not obligated to pay back the seller -- if I ever get the item delivered as I do NOT trust this seller!!! …or I may just pay back the seller to get him or her off my back if I ever get it! Also, my mind goes deviously wild as the seller uses refunds to beat the system and play tricks on buyers to get paid back. This is the first time someone has practically instantly refunded me and at the same time sent me an item (not received yet) before! Maybe it is me thinking this, but look at what has been happening!

Once I get in contact with eBay later tonight, I will make my final decision on what I would like to do with this seller. I already know what I can do.

I hope this helps and you understand better now! You were taking it at face value as I can see you must have thought of me as an evil person and I did not see it that way at first! I tried to keep my OP objective, but I see that was not a good idea. I understand why you see it that way! Very Sorry!

Message 14 of 23
latest reply

All of your feedback left for sellers revolves around the ESTIMATED delivery date ..... which is something that ebay puts in there, NOT the seller. The seller has no control as to when ebay thinks it will be delivered by.

With all of the storms, flooding, fires in the northwest, those dates are sometimes unrealistic. Unless you are ordering a kidney, it's not like you need it yesterday.  If you did need a battery or cheap tool immediately, buy local.

It's an ESTIMATED delivery date that doesn't factor in all scenarios, not set in stone. Give the sellers a  break.

When you receive your item, repay the seller, or refuse the package so they get it back. It's the proper, honest  thing to do.