cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wrong information from an agent - eBay is charging me more than what they promised me

Hello everyone! I was selling an item and received an offer from a user. However, there was a 20% advertising fee, so to make sure of how much I would receive, I decided to contact customer support. The agent told me they could remove the 20% advertising fee, and that in total, for an item a user bought for $2000, I would receive $1865.13 in my payout. I asked multiple times, and he assured me that it was the payout I would receive.
Today I contacted them to remove the 20%, and they did, but my payout was around $1600, not the $1865 the agent promised me. I explained and asked the new agent to read my previous conversation, but she explained that it was an error on the part of the previous agent and that they couldn't do anything about it. It seems he forgot to discount some taxes. It doesn't seem fair to me because I made the decision to accept the offer based on the earnings the first agent told me, and now eBay doesn't want to cover the new amount.
What can I do? Someone has a similar experience?

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Re: Wrong information from an agent - eBay is charging me more than what they promised me

You're first mistake was contacting CS.

I don't know why they told you they would remove the promotion fee.

If they did that, everyone would be calling and trying to get the fee removed.

Have a great day.
Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Re: Wrong information from an agent - eBay is charging me more than what they promised me

$2000-14.95% (final value fee for music category)-$0.30=$1700.70.

How much was shipping? Was it say, around $100? 

Never call eBay customer support. They will tell you what you want to hear and not the actual truth.

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/fees-credits-invoices/selling-fees?id=4822#section2

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

Undoing a promoted fee and then it sells...I believe you still get charged if it sells within a 30 day period...unless that got changed.

I promoted something for 20% and it sold in 6 hours and never got charged for a promoted fee so I am not sure when that fee kicks in.

Customer support...these are just people who answer the phone.....and say "hello"...

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

They removed! 🙂

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

@echoesviolins,

You are registered as being in Spain, but the item location for your items is in France. If you list items on ebay's Spain site (ebay.com.es) or the French site (ebay.fr) you should have posted you issue on that site's community, since there may be more to the fees charged on them, than on the U.S. based site's community (ebay.com)  where you have posted your concern.  For example, if you sold to a buyer in the U.S. there maybe currency exchange fees.

I really hope you do not plan to ship that item using Economy shipping unless you insure it for the full purchase price.  By ebay rules any item costing more than $750 U.S. Dollars must be insured.

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 6 of 6
latest reply