cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will eBay ever clean house on spammers?

If you go to the Apple Watch category and sort by lowest price, the first 300 results are for bands, cases, screen protectors, cables and other nonsense, DESPITE having dedicated categories for Accesories. 

**bleep** EBAY? Are you blind?  DO SOMETHING!

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Re: Will eBay ever clean house on spammers?

Sorry, I understand your frustration and that is search and browse manipulation.

There is a report this item link on every listing at the right hand side just before the description.

You can use that to report, but action may or may not be taken.

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

@nocr wrote:

If you go to the Apple Watch category and sort by lowest price, the first 300 results are for bands, cases, screen protectors, cables and other nonsense, DESPITE having dedicated categories for Accesories. 

**bleep** EBAY? Are you blind?  DO SOMETHING!

had the same issue last week looking for window blinds. they have a seperate section for hardware/accesaries but still saw 27000 listings of pull strings, brackets, curtain rods and material samples. having no idea what blinds cost, a started at $10.00 and kept increasing minimums in hopes of eliminating the improperly listed items. at $50.00, they still had larger samples of material! in this case, cheap blinds from china in 6 weeks would of suited my needs. it is ironic that their own tactics prevented me from finding them!

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

@castlemagicmemories wrote:

There is a report this item link on every listing at the right hand side just before the description.

You can use that to report, but action may or may not be taken.

More reports may hopefully help motivate ebay to devote more resources to make search & browse more satisfying .

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

You can solve the problem for yourself.

Don't use the Default Search of Best Match.

And

Don't use Lowest Price First.

Use

Highest Price Plus Shipping.

And go over to the left hand column and choose among the sub-categories to reduce the number of items you will see.

I would suggest that you choose your country as Location  as one of the sub-categories, since it is very expensive to return an unwanted item internationally with Confirmation of Delivery and impossible to get Signature Confirmation to many countries.

With Highest Price First, you can drill down a few dozen (or hundred) similar listings to your price point, instead of slogging through hundreds (or thousands) of misdescribed, counterfeit or sketchey listings to find anything vaguely like what you want.

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

With over 170 million eBay members in over 100 countries, eBay does not have the resources to police every item, or every 1/1000 item. That is why on every auction page, down a little on the right, there is a link you can "report" an item that you believe to not be in violation of eBay TOS. You will then choose the appropriate reason with a note. 

Yes, it is time consuming, but I have noticed results... that are typically short lived at best. eBay has grown to the point of no longer controllable, but still the best game in town for auctions.

Bottom feeding for a great deal is going to require time and effort to weed through the keyword spamming to manipulate the search engine results. What we do, is to quote keywords that must be in search results and then start adding "-" in front of words added to the original search... I.e."  "Apple watch" -band -case -cases -screen -cables "  .... then select the sort by highest price plus shipping and scan down what is left over. If you find any other items not wanted, add them to the -word in your search.

You can also sort by country, by condition, etc. And if you have a lot of time to waste, report the spammers.

Message 6 of 6
latest reply