cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will Buyer Protection cover an item that was defective after it was washed?

I bought my husband a sweatshirt NWT on 11/21/2023 delivered 11/27/2023 so 7days old roughly. He worn it once, and I washed it per the instructions on the label. The insigina fell off in the wash. NO mention of any defects in description. I contacted the seller through eBay. He refused to help because I washed it.

Question: Does BUYER PROTECTION cover an issue like this. I do not feel it is my fault that this sweatshirt insignia was defective.

Please advise thank you.

Message 1 of 16
latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

Excuse the title, as I meant to say proven to be defective after 1 wash per label instructions.

Message 2 of 16
latest reply

You may possibly be correct about the  hidden defect, but by your washing it you are no longer able to return it to the seller in the same condition as was received. Your seller feels entitled to receive their item back in the same condition as you received it.

So what did the sweatshirt manufacturer have to say ?

Message 3 of 16
latest reply

I bought this on eBay with a small seller.

So, I have voided buyer protection by washing it? It would have fallen off eventually if it fell off so easily. Very disappointed. Had I bought this on Amazon the return would have been excepted since I also kept the tags.

I made the mistake of buying on eBay to save $$ as Amazon has the product cost more.

Message 4 of 16
latest reply

Hi @my_boston_baked_beans 

It is not uncommon for a buyer to have to change the condition of the item in order to detect a defect … such as having to break a seal on a box to discover that parts are missing OR having a sole fall off of a shoe during the first wearing.

From my experience, eBay would consider your situation as receiving a ‘not as described’ item and be eligible for their Money Back Guarantee.

But that said, I would have approached the seller with an offer to share the cost of a return/refund … since the seller would have no way to know that the insignia would fall off during the first wash.

Message 5 of 16
latest reply

@ed8108  That is incorrect. What you say applies to an item the buyer no longer wants. If the seller accepts returns remorse returns must be returned in the original unused condition. If it falls apart after they washed it then it is defective and the buyer can return it.

@my_boston_baked_beans you need to open a return citing not as described or defective.

If the seller doesn't refund or provide a return label by 3 business days return to the case and ask eBay for help.

Message 6 of 16
latest reply

Per eBay's Money Back Guarantee, a not as described return where the buyer returned the item used or damaged is covered if "the use was necessary to determine the quality or functioning of the item, or the damage was the result of that use." So this would definitely qualify for a not as described return.

Message 7 of 16
latest reply

Just open a Ebay item not as described request, & receive ebay's  answer to your question

I think ebay will likely decide the issue in your favor.

Message 8 of 16
latest reply

I opened a return for NSAD  including pictures etc, but the seller refused to help me.

How do I proceed now?

thank you 

Message 9 of 16
latest reply

If it's beyond 3 business days with no response from seller, as stated above, you can contact ebay, and they will take it from there.

Message 10 of 16
latest reply

I started the return on December 3rd, and the buyer responded later that day not willing to help with defective merchandise.

So, on December 6th or 7th I can ask ebay for help?

thank you as I have not had to do this.

Message 11 of 16
latest reply

On the 4th business day after you open the case you can go back to the case and ask eBay to step in.

Message 12 of 16
latest reply

Buyer & seller have very different positions in the matter presented.

Of course the buyer does no longer want the item since the insignia was stated to have fallen off during an allegedly correct washing of the item, after wearing.

Curious that the Buyer says

"I do not feel it is my fault that this sweatshirt insignia was defective"

Perhaps the manufacturer may be at fault ?

Perhaps the problem was due to improper storage after manufacture ?

Regardless of who is at fault ebay's money back guarantee is controlling if a NAD is filed.

Message 13 of 16
latest reply

If the seller does not send you a prepaid return label, you can on the 4th day request ebay to step in.

Please read the ebay money back guarantee for details for you to follow.

Message 14 of 16
latest reply

On the 8th, as kathiec states.  4 business days.

Message 15 of 16
latest reply