cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why Does eBay Allow This?

I am extremely frustrated with eBay. 

I just started buying again after a long time not buying and holy moly has stuff gone downhill. 

What I've noticed is that there are a lot of sellers that set up their policy specifically so they can be extremely lazy and/or rip people off.

Example 1: I accidentally purchased the wrong item from Seller.  I realized my mistake and immediately emailed them asking them to undo my mistake. I was told sorry it's going to cost you 10% of the order for restocking due to our policy. This is straight up thievery. It Is an item sitting on their shelf (If they even have it). It has been 8 days since then and the item has still not even shipped and the seller is unresponsive. 

Example 2: I won an auction item. A few days later I inquired on when they would plan on shipping. Of course, I received a generic "we will ship in accordance with our policy" type of response. The vendor then immediately printed tracking information in an effort to make it look like he was doing something, but it still has not been handed off to the carrier 8 days later and the package is due in a couple days so it definitely won't make it here in time. 

Upon further research into this vendor I found out several things. 1. He is listing things that are not in his possession without disclosing it 2. He is listing items that were just released the previous day halfway across the world (they are graded items which have to be sent to an organization for grading, slabbing, and return which takes at least a month) So essentially he's listing items that he doesn't even know if they will exist yet because an official grade has not been given. 3. He has lots of negative feedback but it is all neutral, quite curious. 4. He Is photoshopping the items into a slab case to make it look like he has the item.

I want to report both of these sellers and get my money back, but it seems like their policies are set up and safeguarded by eBay to allow them to run their shady & lazy practices. This is unacceptable customer service and not what I am used to on eBay. 

Furthermore, I am unable to open a ticket because their shipping timeframe is so extraordinary long that the system won't let me.

Why is this allowed? Why are sellers with such shady practices allowed to thrive on this platform? 

Until eBay starts holding bad sellers accountable I will not be purchasing or selling here which is a shame cuz I was just about to start selling luxury items.

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Okay guys I got this worked out with the seller. I can't see an option to delete or edit the post, but I have requested a mod do so.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 7 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Upon further research into this vendor.....

@treasureandgems 

Though I would be first to agree that there are plenty of suspect sellers and listings on eBay.  On the other hand,  the time to do that "research" is before you place that bid and commit to buy.  Though eBay no longer displays a seller's handling time, you should always check the expected delivery date PRIOR to buying to see if the time is acceptable. 

You can't really on eBay "accidentally" purchase something.  There are entirely too many steps required for that to fly.  

It is also important to check the seller's feedback.  Actually, check the comments not just the number.  Again PRIOR to buying.  Of utmost concern would be a solid history of successfully selling like items.  You don't want to purchase an I phone or the latest graphics card from an ID that sells only used doll clothes.  Or a new seller of a $2000 camera for $800 that has been a member for less than a month and Zero feedback as a seller. 

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

Hi @treasureandgems 

The seller you left negative feedback has a 99.9% feedback rating ... without any revisions ... so your comment calling him the 'worst vendor on eBay' actually makes you look like the 'bad guy' in this interaction.

You left the negative feedback within a week of winning the item in auction ... even before the estimated delivery date.  [The feedback probably is eligible for removal, because you complained of slow shipping prematurely.]

Anyway, I strongly agree with your decision not to sell or buy on eBay any more.  Excellent decision!

[Should you not receive the item ... you can easily obtain a refund through eBay or your credit/debit card company.  Also, the seller's return policy is irrelevant if the item turns out to be 'not as described' in any way.]

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

@treasureandgems 

Example 1.

Sellers are not required to cancel. 
eBay does not allow restocking fees. Not that or matters, it seems this guy isn’t refunding anything. 
Tracking/delivery confirmation protects the seller. There is no obligation to provide that information to the buyer. 

Example 2.

The carrier, especially USPS, does not scan every item at every stop. 
If the item doesn’t arrive by the last estimated date of arrival, you can go through eBay’s Money Back Guarantee for your full refund. 

Sellers are he’s VERY accountable. eBay is a buyer’s paradise. 
Example 1 is on you. That was your error. 

Example 2 hasn’t fully played out yet. IMO, you’re worrying too much, too soon. This seller has good feedback. Looks like a good seller. It seems your negative has been removed in the last 10 minutes. 

No one asked, but I am looking forward to the day when having feedback default sorted by relevance seems right.
Message 4 of 7
latest reply

I don't think you meant to say you "accidentally" bought something. I think what you meant to say was "I wasn't paying attention and hit the BIN before completely reading the listing". And then you try to make the seller out as the bad guy? You've sold before. You should know that canceling a sale costs the seller nonrefundable fees plus their time and effort to process the cancellation and relist.

As for the second seller 1) the day after the last estimated delivery date you can open a case under eBay's Money Back Guarantee and get a refund, and 2) the time to do your research is before you buy.

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

Sellers are not allowed to charge restocking fees on returns.

The buyer sees the estimated delivery date before committing to the purchase.  If that date seems extraordinarily long, it is extraordinarily silly to go ahead and buy and then complain about the delivery date.  It also seems an extraordinary waste of time to contact the seller and ask when they will ship since they are expected to ship so that the buyer receives his purchase before, on or within a few days of the last estimated delivery date.  If that does not happen, the buyer has the MBG.  

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

Okay guys I got this worked out with the seller. I can't see an option to delete or edit the post, but I have requested a mod do so.

Message 7 of 7
latest reply