cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the time limit to open a dispute against a seller

Hello,

item number 323787526594

I bought an item about 4 weeks ago, the seller is from China with longer delivery times.  Quickly an item arrived, but is was not what I ordered.    I contacted the seller and they told me that they had some scheme to send the small cable, but that the item I ordered had been sent in a separate package and provided a UPS tracking number.  

I have ordered many things from China and have seen it where the tracking does not update until the item passes through customs.  But when I try to track this one UPS says not in system yet, and a Chinese 3rd party tracking system says delivered to another address.

My concern is if the seller sent the small item to register a tracking number that was delivered and try to convince me to hold tight waiting for the larger package even though the return window has already begun to close.  We have been communicating through ebay messages and he has been very straightforward that there is a second package being sent.  The first tracking number landed January 24, and the listing states a 30 day return window/warranty so i may have a little more time.

Would you guys open a dispute now or wait?

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

This sounds like a typical seller tactic to string you along past the date to open a case. I would open a not as described case now. Be aware, however, that if the original package came from China, the seller won't be able to send a return shipping label. Don't fall for any promises that if you pay the return shipping they'll reimburse you. If they won't pay return shipping upfront just ask eBay to step in at the first opportunity to do so. They'll then likely refund without requiring a return.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 3 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

The short answer is, you have 30 days from the date your item was delivered to open a Return request on eBay.

I would open a request. You have a not as described claim. Hopefully, it'll cause the seller to pony up. Good luck.

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

This sounds like a typical seller tactic to string you along past the date to open a case. I would open a not as described case now. Be aware, however, that if the original package came from China, the seller won't be able to send a return shipping label. Don't fall for any promises that if you pay the return shipping they'll reimburse you. If they won't pay return shipping upfront just ask eBay to step in at the first opportunity to do so. They'll then likely refund without requiring a return.

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

Scam.

Sent you a small worthless item to say you got your item.

File an item not as described case on this.

DO NOT FILE AN ITEM NOT RECEIVED CASE. you got your item.

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

@kathiec wrote:

And don't fall for any promises regarding a reshipment, and don't fall for any requests to close the return in order for them to refund.

And as 'detour'ed below, file a Not as Described, since you did get something.