cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Who else is not buying or selling for fear of late/lost/stuck mail?

Im not buying or selling a grain of salt until the usps catches up. Who else has put business on hold?

.........cue the "i havent had a single delayed shipment during the unprecedented mail problems people"

Message 1 of 25
latest reply
24 REPLIES 24

Re: Who else is not buying or selling for fear of late/lost/stuck mail?

@oddznends2007,

I have stopped selling since mid December because of the shipping delays.  I have received my first INR dispute in over 15 years of selling.  Item shipped Dec. 11 priority mail, last estimated delivery date Dec.14 (way too short of a time frame considering holidays and Covid) It was stuck for 10 days, and since has bounced around, but is stuck again in a facility less than 100 miles from the buyer's location. 

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 2 of 25
latest reply

I sold an item a few days ago. It was shipped USPS first class and took one day longer than ebay had said.  The back log may be clearing.

Message 3 of 25
latest reply

I sent a package on Dec 22 from Pa to NY. Still not arrived. Tracking has it in CT since Jan 2. Started an investigation with the post office, no word back??  Buyer filed complaint and Ebay messaged me that funds are being held and if it doesn't deliver by Jan 15 they will refund the buyer. Depending on results of my issue, I may shut down for a few months also.

When the package does deliver, do I then get paid by Ebay, or does the buyer get it for free???

Message 4 of 25
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

I sent a priority mail package scaned in on Dec6.  I received an update from usps telling me my package was scaned in again on Jan 7. The package never left the state I mailed it in. One month a no movement. I have more horror storys very much like this. I'm just happy that this is the last one. The other day, FedEX contacted me offering discounts on their shipping. If I do go back to selling, they would be my first choice. I have used them in the past with no problems. 

Message 5 of 25
latest reply

My selling ID stopped mid-December for reasons of delays in the mail.   Rationally, I don't want to start listing things again until after January 20, when I am hoping a sense of stability and optimism might return.  I am hopeful for that, at least.  

My last outstanding sale was finally delivered to its buyer yesterday after a five week tour of the United States.  Sending it from Southern California (me) to the Midwest (buyer) should have been fairly direct, but that item visited San Francisco and New Orleans before reaching its final destination.   Buyer is happy now, so I am  happy now.  

Message 6 of 25
latest reply

I called ebay. The rep said, if it gets delivered  after a refund is given, the buyer may contact the seller (or vice versa) to pay for item through paypal.  I think eBay will know what is going on in if it says that it's been delivered and that you have already given them a refund they will probably put a hold on their eBay account until they pay for the item. Not sure if anyone has gone through this yet and Id love to hear from them. But hopefully things will be back on track soon!

Message 7 of 25
latest reply

Do remember that stimulus checks are hitting right now and people have gift cards. Mail is catching up again, my packages are landing either on time now or a day late.

I'll take the sales over loss of income as I am broke 🙂 Sales are a bit slow, but they are buying.

Message 8 of 25
latest reply

Well, if you have stopped selling and refuse to because of the previous mail delivery problems, you will never know when to begin selling again.  FYI  And no, I have not had any mail problems in the past 2 weeks incoming or outgoing. But why answer your post if you already know the answer? And after checking, why post this when you have items listed for sale???? Looks like a fake post consequently.

Message 9 of 25
latest reply

I buy a fair number of books, mostly things to replace library holdings that are OOP, or obscure titles that are relevant to my interests.  I may have to pull way back on that, because even if I pay for Priority Mail, it frequently doesn't get to me much faster that Media Mail, and the shipping cost doubles.  Anything not from North America is right out, after the 3 month world tour of a first class package from Germany.

Coffee is my friend.

T&S Tool #10mm ratchet
Message 10 of 25
latest reply

I always stop from thanksgiving until jan. 1 every year. This year I haven't even started yet because of me hearing about so many possible delays and also because of an envelope I sent taking forever that I thought that disappeared until yesterday. 

I paid most of my property taxes in person except one which would have been a 2 hr. drive each way so I just mailed that one back in the middle of Dec.  on the 15th.  Still wasn't delivered by the year end and I started watching the county site everyday to see if it would show up. Nothing, I was debating what to do thinking it was lost for good but when I went to the site yesterday, it finally showed up. a big relief  for me. I was about to take the cruise down there to repay it in person.  I couldn't believe it took almost a month for an envelope to get there. Still hasn't cleared my bank but at least the county has it posted.

I knew about packages taking longer but not about envelopes. so when it didn't show up by year end I put my reselling on here on the backburner a while longer to play it safe. Another thing that help made my decision to wait a little longer is my wife's one credit card co. sent an email just a few days ago saying that paper billing  copies that are physically mailed might be  seeing possible delivery delays.   I am hoping after the inaugeration maybe things will get better, if not I will take a longer vacation from here. Playing it by ear. , Luckily I don't need the income from selling online to survive.  

Message 11 of 25
latest reply

I buy very little on eBay, but my wife  has continued to purchase. Her Christmas T-shirts did not make it for Christmas, but no concern with that. She sees things, buys them, and there they sit.(once they get here) She doesn't really need anything.  At least she is doing it from home rather than toddling around Wally, leaning on a shopping cart, for an hour.

Selling...........................    Accounts went on "time away" on Dec 9th when several outgoing shipments were showing no scans beyond the regional facility, with others dancing around with out rhyme, or reason.

My carrier must think that she has hit the jackpot with no package acceptance scan needed. Like a mini vacay for her.

Accounts still shut down.  No money coming in, but at the same time not giving anything away, and paying the postage to do it.

Odd thing is that it seems from reading posts, that if an INR dispute opens, you let it ride, eBay forces the refund, and then the item is delivered, that you can appeal, and eBay ...................  may ......................  give you back the money, but if you refund without force, then there is no appeal, and you only option is to hope that the buyer will repay.

Message 12 of 25
latest reply

@oddznends2007 wrote:

I called ebay. The rep said, if it gets delivered  after a refund is given, the buyer may contact the seller (or vice versa) to pay for item through paypal.  I think eBay will know what is going on in if it says that it's been delivered and that you have already given them a refund they will probably put a hold on their eBay account until they pay for the item. Not sure if anyone has gone through this yet and Id love to hear from them. But hopefully things will be back on track soon!

eBay WILL NOT put a hold on any buyers account if they later receive an item for which they have been refunded.

Repayment fall entirely upon the honesty of the buyer.

Message 13 of 25
latest reply

I do buy and sell.  An item I bought on Dec 22nd is stuck 10 miles from where I live.

I have about 24 boxes stuck near to my home and far away that are late.  For those shipped 14 days ago or more, I am filing claims with the post office, I hope this might give them motivation to unload a truck or two.

I did refund 2 people after they demanded it.  When the item arrived, they sent it back to me.

I have asked several buyers to wait a little longer, so far so good, I guess.

I never had any problem with Fedex, but 95% of my shipments are USPS.  

I some new shipments get delivered right away, those stuck remain stuck.

Message 14 of 25
latest reply

Opened eBay back up on the 3rd and have been shipping everything UPS Ground with stellar results. Granted, the inexpensive items don't make any money (~$11 or less) but the overall books will look good at the end of the month.

Every UPS shipment has been easily beating the EDD. 

Message 15 of 25
latest reply