cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Warning for buyers! Avoid getting scammed by using the tracking number info!

I got scammed by multiple sellers, selling speakers. They will send tracking number without the item.  Once the tracking number reaches your address, ebay sides with the seller. 

Here’s how you can speed up the refund process:

Ask seller for image of package prior to shipping. Seller responsiveness can be a clue for trouble ahead.  You have to act as soon as you have the tracking number, call the shipping service and ask for details regarding the shipment, ie, the cost, weight and dimensions. In my case the seller paid about $7 to ship 10lbs. of speakers. Seller bought flat rate envelope and did not purchase proof of   receipt. If I had known this prior to the delivery date I could have frozen my card. Keep in mind ebay does nothing until delivery day has arrived and then gives seller more time to respond. While you wait for your money and time is wasted. To make things worse ebay has a policy for items over $750 the seller must produce proof of receipt. The seller then produced a fake usps proof of receipt. Given all this evidence ebay dragged their feet for almost a month before deciding in my favor.  I emailed the CEO, support is helpless to help and limited in their knowledge base.  The sooner you know details about the shipping the sooner you can take action. You have to take action outside of ebay’s platform before a delivery date.

Thanks for listening, hope this helps some of you. Desperate times call for a little more diligence on our part. 

It’s my hope ebay will take these simple measures off the users hands and demonstrate that they care about their buyers. 

I will continue to work with ebay and the usps to make platforms like ebay safer and not a playground for fraudsters.

hhjsfbay

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Did you file an actual item not as described case?And of course, you will have to wait until you receive the pkg to file a case. If the seller does not respond, on the fourth day you ask Ebay to step in,and you will be refunded.Ive only had to file a couple in my twenty four years here and they worked like magic. The service is completely automated, never had to call the shipper,or support, or write Ebays Ceo.If the seller does respond within that time frame,and wants the item back, he is responsible for a return shippng label, and you return the envelope with tracking he sent you.When it shows delivered, you will be almost instantly refunded.

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

“Never pick a fight with an ugly person. They don’t have anything to lose.” ~Robin Williams
Message 2 of 8
latest reply

I wish fleabay hadn't axed the contact info feature - That was a great way to catch scammers using fake addresses before things went too far. 

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

That’s good advice. I filed never received and ebay sided with seller. But that’s a good idea to use not as described. What if they ask for images and you have nothing to show them? Thx!

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

Think outside the box - provide an image of anything

I have been imported from Australia and this is my posting ID
Message 5 of 8
latest reply

@hhjsfbay,

"Ask seller for image of package prior to shipping. Seller responsiveness can be a clue for trouble ahead. You have to act as soon as you have the tracking number, call the shipping service and ask for details regarding the shipment, ie, the cost, weight and dimensions". 

There are a few things wrong with your supposed solution.

A) Sellers are not required to respond to messages.

B) Calling a shipping service and asking for package info, may not work due to their privacy policies.

You need to provide proof that you should be the addressee, and of who you are.  You can get 

That info by going to your P.O. or a shipper's store with your purchase details page if you use a

phone or tablet to buy, bring that to show a clerk.  They can tell you in general if the addresses

match, and if the package type/size/weight is appropriate for what you purchased. 

"Keep in mind ebay does nothing until delivery day has arrived and then gives seller more time to respond".

eBay has had that policy since before you joined. You cannot file any kind of dispute until tracking has a delivered scan, or the last estimated delivery time has passed. How do they know if the info you send them before receiving an item is correct or not?  You would not know if it is as described, or where you got the package info. 

"If I had known this prior to the delivery date I could have frozen my card".

If you do that, it would cost you your ebay protections for the transaction. It might even get your ability to use the Money Back Guarantee limited. Besides before your card provider would do a charge back, they would need proof of fraudulent activity.

"Once the tracking number reaches your address, ebay sides with the seller... The seller then produced a fake usps proof of receipt".

That happens because ebay's automated Item Not Received system can only look at the tracking informat

ion for a delivery scan. They cannot access the label or package information, because they are neither the sender or recipient, and therefore not entitled to the info. 

When you lose a dispute, you can appeal it within 30 days, but first you need to do some leg work.  You can speed up the process, by contacting them through their Faceook or Twitter social media pages. The reps who respond on those boards are actual ebay employees, and have experience with the fake tracking number scams, and can take action, unlike the phone/chat personal who work for 3rd party call/chat centers.

Below is a link to a previous topic about fake tracking numbers. Read my first reply in it for the steps you can take to get a refund.

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Buying/Item-Not-Received-Tracking-Says-Delivered-FedEX-Buyer-What-Now/...

You may have avoided this and the previous issues you've had by checking your seller's feedback profile pages, before buying from them.  Your seller had (0) feedback before your purchase, because they had neither bought or sold anything in over a year. That can be an indication of a hijacked account.

You may not know it but new and returning after over a year of not selling, seller's have a 21 day hold placed on their first few payments by ebay, and many new/returning sellers do not know about the hold or what to do to get the funds released, so they run into problems with their sales.

"I emailed the CEO, support is helpless to help and limited in their knowledge base. The sooner you know details about the shipping the sooner you can take action. You have to take action outside of ebay’s platform before a delivery date.

Ebay's CEO will never see that email. Their upper management has remained unresponsive to members both buyer's and seller's plights since 2008. 

"Thanks for listening, hope this helps some of you. Desperate times call for a little more diligence on our part". 

Checking seller's feedback profiles is part of your due dilligence. When you see in a listing that a seller claims to have sold an item previously, but it was returned, you should do an Advanced search, by seller, of their sold listings, to see if there was a reason why. Especially, if they are a new or returning seller.  I suggest doing that now,  In this case I would bet, they managed to successfully scam some other buyers.

It’s my hope ebay will take these simple measures off the users hands and demonstrate that they care about their buyers".

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 6 of 8
latest reply

What if they ask for images and you have nothing to show them?

@hhjsfbay 

You could always upload one of the listing's images.

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

"Ask seller for image of packaging prior to shipping."

So I could just dummy up a picture of a package and submit as proof that I actually mailed the package.

Don't think that idea would fly.  

Message 8 of 8
latest reply