cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tracking # doesn't mean it's shipped.

Just because a tracking # has been posted doesn't mean a seller has shipped an item. I'm seeing more sellers post # but when I look it up it says P.O. waiting for item several working days later. No matter when seller posts a shipping date, if it's unreasonably late I post appropriate feedback. 

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

For USPS- It can mean it's shipped. Sometimes tracking updates doesn't show up for days (real world as well as that is what is stated on the USPS website) 

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

You are given a delivery date and that's all you need to be concerned about. If it's received by you by the expected date the seller did their job.  Sellers aren't even required to furnish a tracking number.  You shouldn't  be concerned when it was delivered to the PO, only be concered when YOU get it. 

And you shouldn't be concerned when the label is made because the  sellers can date the label to ship the day the label is made or they can put a future shipping date on the label. The PO will not accept a label that's expired. Tracking is automatically uploaded when the label is made but you have no idea of the shipping date that was input when the seller made the label.  So your "appropriate"  (negative?) feedback you intend leaving is not appropriate at all. 

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

One seller I buy from uses a shipping partner so it does not get to USPS for 2 days but it always shows up before the arrival date.

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

You do know that the USPS is having difficulty at this time??

Scans not being updated. Shipping delays, lost packages, and so on; are happening through USPS.

You have 30 days past the expected delivery date to file an item not received and get your money back.

Leaving a neg due to delays that are out side of the sellers control is well (Best leave out this word...).

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

It's not always up to the seller to choose when to mark it shipped. If the seller purchases shipping through ebay, Ebay marks it shipped as soon as the click the buy postage button. Even before the label is printed.  If the seller goes to the shipper's site or takes it to the post office, then the seller has to post the tracking number and mark it shipped.

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

In this day & age of drop shipping, it's possible the seller does not have the item in hand.

Always look to see when item was accepted by USPS. 

It's good practice to ask questions about when the item will ship & about delays/handling times before you bid. Good sellers will display processing times and some will mention if they actually have the item in hand, but many simply fail to provide this information. A seller who has poor communication can and should be rated accordingly via feedback. If you have any doubts about the auction, do your due diligence or walk away. Anything else is on you.

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

Ebay sends those 'your item has shipped' notices as soon as the seller pays for shipping. so if you want to leave 'appropriate' feedback, leave it for Ebay..not the seller.And is it appropriate during this Pandemic? Hardly.

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

“Never pick a fight with an ugly person. They don’t have anything to lose.” ~Robin Williams
Message 8 of 13
latest reply

bonjourami

(Bonjourami) wrote:

E-bay sends those 'your item has shipped' notices as soon as the seller pays for shipping. so if you want to leave 'appropriate' feedback, leave it for E-bay..not the seller.

This is not an accurate statement. Purchase history, Order details will describe item as Purchased but not shipped. There is nothing automatic about it. Sellers can generate a tracking number before the item(s) even reaches USPS, which is why a Buyer should always refer to when USPS accepts the item.

(Bonjourami) wrote:

And is it appropriate during this Pandemic? Hardly.

Disclaimers or delays, which may include processing & handling, are listed in the item description or shipping. Good sellers will include this information to address buyer expectations which saves headaches moving forward in the sale, especially considering the Pandemic. Even USPS has a disclaimer regarding it.

Poor sellers sometimes create their own headaches !

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

You are putting the blame on where it is NOT due. eBay's archaic system marks the package as being shipped the moment the label is printed - even if its 2AM.  If a seller has a 3 business day shipping time, and you buy on Friday night, they don't have to mail it any sooner than he following Wednesday for example.  When you make a purchase, you are advised of an estimated delivery date - which can be changed by the postal carrier's situation. 

Now if the package is unreasonably late - I personally give it a week past the estimate - then go tot the bottom of this page and report it as a missing order RESOLUTION CENTER.  eBay will look into it and sanction the seller if it is warranted.

I am a founding member of the eBay Community Expert Group: a USA volunteer mentor with over a decade of experience. I am not an eBay employee.

Live simply. Care deeply. Love generously. Speak kindly. Laugh loudly. Act responsibly. Rejoice daily. Help cheerfully. Plan carefully. Criticize sparingly. Invest wisely. Forgive willingly. Shop seriously. Play fairly. Learn graciously.
Message 10 of 13
latest reply

"...post # but when I look it up it says P.O. waiting for item several working days later."

From what is written, several working days later is in excess even in the given example of

"...you buy on Friday night, they don't have to mail it any sooner than he following Wednesday for example. "

That's at most, 5 days, if one was to even include SAT SUN as working days. Where does the blame sit after several days, like he mentioned?  Let's keep the facts straight, since automated "shipped" designations do not occur 100% of the time as there are other ways to ship outside Ebay.

I personally see many sellers triggered over complaints that are legit. You actually agree with Airmail3001 when he leads with Tracking # doesn't mean it's shipped when you point out eBay's archaic system marks the package as being shipped the moment the label is printed - even if its 2AM.

I have seen many sellers also list disclaimers on when they ship, or have received messages that they'll ship next day or week, whatever. I do agree that there are aspects of Ebay which are archaic or inaccurate, but those are the current rules & setup sellers and users abide by when doing business here.

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

A lot of times when buyers come here with this complaint it is because of eBay's automatic shipping notification sent out thus the responses given.  I don't think anyone has said this is always the case but are simply trying to make the op aware this could be the situation they are experiencing.  Simply informing them of an aspect they may not be aware of.   

“Birth certificates show that you were born. Death certificates show that you died. Photographs show that you have lived.” -Unknown
Message 12 of 13
latest reply

@airmail3001 wrote:

Just because a tracking # has been posted doesn't mean a seller has shipped an item. I'm seeing more sellers post # but when I look it up it says P.O. waiting for item several working days later. No matter when seller posts a shipping date, if it's unreasonably late I post appropriate feedback. 

I agree, use the little blue link on your eBay summary page to tell them what you think.

Message 13 of 13
latest reply