cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

There is no sales tax on clothing in NJ. Why am I being charged sales tax?

I just purchased an item of clothing, and was charged $9.04 in sales tax. There is no sales tax on clothing in New Jersey. How do I get my money back?

Order total:

Price

$121.50

Shipping

$14.90

Sales tax

$9.04

Total charged to  

x -5625

$145.44

Message 1 of 19
latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

Re: There is no sales tax on clothing in NJ. Why am I being charged sales tax?

@megaman wrote:

Hey Einstein... I'm not in new jersey. Neither are many of the other people reporting this issue. They are from various states.

But no worries. I've reported this glitch in the technical sub-community. You can go back to couch potatoing.

Alas!  My name isn't Einstein.  However, regardless of what state you are in, if you believe that the tax laws of your state are being incorrectly applied, reporting that to your state's taxing agency should get the issue corrected and help to see that it stays corrected.  While reporting "glitches" to eBay's tech people may possibly be of use, I'm afraid eBay's past record of glitch fixing is somewhat lacking.  While pressure from a government agency with the power to instigate legal remedies, may just spur eBay on to get this one fixed.

"It is an intelligent man that is aware of his own ignorance."
Message 16 of 19
latest reply

This happened to me on socks and hats before. I got the sales tax back from ebay customer service once, the other time I just disputed

Message 17 of 19
latest reply

@orange_the_meow wrote:

This happened to me on socks and hats before. I got the sales tax back from ebay customer service once, the other time I just disputed

You can just dispute the tax portion?

For some......It seems wisdom has been chasing you, but you have always been faster.
Message 18 of 19
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

Message 19 of 19
latest reply