cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Good the Bad and the Good- Story..

Still waiting on that break room board. 

So,  I have to share what happened to me yesterday.

I bought a gorgeous vase from a very casual, small seller.

It's a beauty- Alexandrite glass, Alexandrite is my birthstone.

It's from Scotland with Thistles etched on it- my family is from Scotland so I was super excited to receive it.

Yesterday I picked up several packages at the PO and spilled them into the front seat of my car.

Started to pull out and had a small bump that shouldn't be there- OMGosh!!  My vase package was now FLAT, in the parking lot.

Picked it up and you could tell it was in a bajillion pieces.. Down to powdered glass.. SIGH  

My fault! Totally 100% on ME.

I was going to leave my seller great FB as they did their job but thought I would message them the story of what happened.

One thing that really bothered me was my son suggested to say twas broken when I received it!! 

MY son!  This was a teachable moment.. I explained that not only was that LYING, it was STEALING!

I explained it is the little seller, who did NOTHING wrong that would be out the money- NOPE this was my screw up and I had to eat it..

He understood and I think he gets it now.. 

I was opening the other packages and WAIT!  My vase! It was super well packed in a different package!

I cried tears I was so happy. Turns out the glass powder was some mass produced, $10 bulb that my son ordered that can be easily replaced. I never did open it- it's way too dangerous. 

My seller did their job- their box & padding, bubble wrap, might have even survived my 4000 LB car. LOL

Any good or bad stories to share? 

~Pika~
People in life that are the happiest don't have the most,, they make the most of what they have...

Message 1 of 29
latest reply
28 REPLIES 28

Re: The Good the Bad and the Good- Story..

awesome, thanks for the post

Green
Message 16 of 29
latest reply

Perhaps they are referring to ebay's Global Shipping Program.

Green
Message 17 of 29
latest reply

Alexandrite glass is properly neodymium glass.  It's a "rare earth" compound also used to make strong magnets.  There are a bunch of companies in Europe who make it. I bet the OP's piece is Caithness and if she looks at the base carefully (or has her kid whose close-up vision works better) it'll be signed. They're a Scottish company and their products are NOT cheap. I did a quick search and didn't see the OP's piece , but the company makes similar ones for sure.   The glass turns up sometimes in Israeli silver jewelry and sometimes in old German pieces.  

If you're wondering, I'm a frustrated reference librarian who's into vintage jewelry.  I've run into color-change glass a few times.  

She who dies with the most toys still dies; when's the estate sale?
Message 18 of 29
latest reply

@evelyb30 wrote:

Alexandrite glass is properly neodymium glass.  It's a "rare earth" compound also used to make strong magnets.  There are a bunch of companies in Europe who make it. I bet the OP's piece is Caithness and if she looks at the base carefully (or has her kid whose close-up vision works better) it'll be signed. They're a Scottish company and their products are NOT cheap. I did a quick search and didn't see the OP's piece , but the company makes similar ones for sure.   The glass turns up sometimes in Israeli silver jewelry and sometimes in old German pieces.  

If you're wondering, I'm a frustrated reference librarian who's into vintage jewelry.  I've run into color-change glass a few times.  

@evelyb30 

Thank you so much for that valuable info.

Yes that is how they had it listed Caithness glass; this was the exact title of the listing: CAITHNESS ALEXANDRITE NEODYMIUM GLASS BUD VASE ETCHED.

I'm grateful for your time & knowledge.. 

It's my first piece- It's beautiful.. I'm hooked.. 

~Pika~
People in life that are the happiest don't have the most,, they make the most of what they have...

Message 19 of 29
latest reply

That is a Beautiful vase. I love it

Message 20 of 29
latest reply

thanks for the post

Message 21 of 29
latest reply

All depends upon what you compare to what.

Message 22 of 29
latest reply

this is awesome

Message 23 of 29
latest reply

...a beautiful vase (I like the color) with a beautiful story...an inspiration...thank you...

Message 24 of 29
latest reply

@pikabo-icu 

"gracieallen01 

I don't believe I have ever seen a post from you that isn't kind & thoughtful.

You are a lovely person. "

Well, I try, though I don't always succeed.  Some time back I responded to a poster and the reply I got was, "Why didn't you just shoot me.  It would have been less painful".  

But, thank you for your kind words.

Not saying 'NO' doesn't mean 'YES'.

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous
Message 25 of 29
latest reply

@gracieallen01 wrote:

@pikabo-icu 

"gracieallen01 

I don't believe I have ever seen a post from you that isn't kind & thoughtful.

You are a lovely person. "

Well, I try, though I don't always succeed.  Some time back I responded to a poster and the reply I got was, "Why didn't you just shoot me.  It would have been less painful".  

But, thank you for your kind words.

Oh dear LOL  Beautiful vase pikabu and some great stories

I have been imported from Australia and this is my posting ID
Message 26 of 29
latest reply

Couldn't agree more. Y'all are both stars. I am so glad that I stuck around here to find the actual people who are trying to help AND learn. The first few experiences were of some sweet person asking an honest question and being shut down by the arrogant board-mavens and I noped out. 

I hope I can be as helpful and kind as y'all are, I want to share what I know, and find what I don't. I'm very frustrated with some of the folks who respond on here being so curt or blatantly rude. 

You angels make it worthwhile. 

Cheers. 

M.

Message 27 of 29
latest reply

I once bought a vintage Ronson glass egg shaped lighter from the 50's. It was in good shape but when I opened it the glass cracked away from the metal part a bit. I went to glue it and when I pulled it off there were 5 french coins in there. I got really excited and thought I'd hit a gold mine hidden in the 1950's! I googled them and they were worth about 20 cents.... Dohhh! LoL I sold the lighter for $100 though so it wasn't all that bad.

Message 28 of 29
latest reply

I Once made a bad mistake selling here. I sent an extremely expensive ring to a customer instead of the cheaper one they actually bought. It was one of those switched label issues. The buyer contacted me being very honest and told me she got the more expensive item. She had purchase one thing from us before. I went ahead and let her keep the other ring becuase she said she like it very much. She did offer to pay more, but I just let it go. That lady came back and bought a jillion things from me over the years. 

Message 29 of 29
latest reply