cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Good the Bad and the Good- Story..

Still waiting on that break room board. 

So,  I have to share what happened to me yesterday.

I bought a gorgeous vase from a very casual, small seller.

It's a beauty- Alexandrite glass, Alexandrite is my birthstone.

It's from Scotland with Thistles etched on it- my family is from Scotland so I was super excited to receive it.

Yesterday I picked up several packages at the PO and spilled them into the front seat of my car.

Started to pull out and had a small bump that shouldn't be there- OMGosh!!  My vase package was now FLAT, in the parking lot.

Picked it up and you could tell it was in a bajillion pieces.. Down to powdered glass.. SIGH  

My fault! Totally 100% on ME.

I was going to leave my seller great FB as they did their job but thought I would message them the story of what happened.

One thing that really bothered me was my son suggested to say twas broken when I received it!! 

MY son!  This was a teachable moment.. I explained that not only was that LYING, it was STEALING!

I explained it is the little seller, who did NOTHING wrong that would be out the money- NOPE this was my screw up and I had to eat it..

He understood and I think he gets it now.. 

I was opening the other packages and WAIT!  My vase! It was super well packed in a different package!

I cried tears I was so happy. Turns out the glass powder was some mass produced, $10 bulb that my son ordered that can be easily replaced. I never did open it- it's way too dangerous. 

My seller did their job- their box & padding, bubble wrap, might have even survived my 4000 LB car. LOL

Any good or bad stories to share? 

~Pika~
People in life that are the happiest don't have the most,, they make the most of what they have...

Message 1 of 29
latest reply
28 REPLIES 28

So glad it is intact!!  Please share a pix (not sure I know what Alexandrite is!!)

DS had to do an end of the year project for his college humanities elective - he is studying engineering, so if not math or science related, he seems lost.

His professor suggested the students choose something to do with Brexit, Covid, BLM or Cancel Culture.  DS decided to expand on a prior project and do one on the influences of Queen Elizabeth II on the areas she reigns.

He needed visual props.  So I emailed a Seller who had a small collection listed that represented about 15 countries still under Her Magesty's reign.  Explained the project and how quick could he ship?

He not only sent us the coins we purchased, but about 30 others, all marked so DS would know what Country, etc.  (Which btw, is not real obvious on many!)  Sent everything quickly to campus.

The Seller even followed up to see how the project went - DS got an A, but when he brought the display home, it was really evident this Seller took a lot of time organizing and choosing coins for DS to use.

We've bought a few more things from them.  Restores your faith in shopping here.  Just an amazing Seller.

(and now both DD and DS are collecting QEII coins...they are really into it, which is cool to see VS both glued to their phone screens!!)

....... "The Ranger isn't gonna like it Yogi"......... Boo-Boo knew what he was talking about!

Posting ID Only.......
Yes, I have no Bananas, only Flamethrowers.......
Message 2 of 29
latest reply

Oh I love that story!!

It really does help to restore my faith a little.

Sounds like your seller may enjoy history too.

That's lovely! And congrats to DS on the "A"

Here's a couple pics..

Alexandrite the gem and the glass is a color change stone/glass. Often from blueish, greenish to purple or reddish to purple. The best of the gem comes from Russia and it's very expensive. I only own a small genuine one but have several that are "created" stones. 

This is my first piece of Alexandrite glass as glass isn't one of my collectables as a rule. Since it was from Scotland & with the Thistles it really spoke to me.

1.jpg2.jpg

~Pika~
People in life that are the happiest don't have the most,, they make the most of what they have...

Message 3 of 29
latest reply

You're a good kid!  Proved in a number of ways.

Not saying 'NO' doesn't mean 'YES'.

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous
Message 4 of 29
latest reply

Really pretty!!  It looks dainty/very fragile.  Kudos to your Seller for such a great packing job!

We have cats.  Nothing is safe here.  We do not collect much that is fragile.  Lol 

....... "The Ranger isn't gonna like it Yogi"......... Boo-Boo knew what he was talking about!

Posting ID Only.......
Yes, I have no Bananas, only Flamethrowers.......
Message 5 of 29
latest reply

@pikabo-icu 

Thanks for sharing your story.  It is a good thing to hear one with a happy ending!   FWIW many US glass houses made glass items like this as well under different "color" names back in the day. 

Fostoria - "Wisteria"

Heisey - "Alexandrite"
Camibridge "Heatherbloom"

Tiffin "Twilight" 

I also had some costume jewelry by a maker "Panetta" that used glass stones like this as well in some of the higher end stuff, but have not seen any in a very long time.  

Hope you find some more! 

Message 6 of 29
latest reply

Thanks @ittybitnot 

I will put a watch search on some of those names..

I appreciate the info very much..

@gracieallen01 

I don't believe I have ever seen a post from you that isn't kind & thoughtful.

You are a lovely person. 

~Pika~

Message 7 of 29
latest reply

Beautiful! 

I have a pair of earrings, nothing fancy, glass bead dangles. Took me a while to realize they were alexandrite glass - I'd put them on thinking they matched what I was wearing, and then sometime later I'd notice they did NOT match, LOL! change from purple/blue to pink/purple shades

My buying story that started out badly was a venetian bead necklace - I was so excited to see the beads (was a poor photo on the listing so I wasn't sure about condition) that I opened in the post office - removed from package and the string broke and the beads bounced and scattered all over the post office (graduated beads, so had to find them ALL). I wasn't even sure I had found them all until I restrung and was so happy to confirm none were missing (and none even broke!).

Message 8 of 29
latest reply

@goaldeelocks wrote:

Beautiful! 

I have a pair of earrings, nothing fancy, glass bead dangles. Took me a while to realize they were alexandrite glass - I'd put them on thinking they matched what I was wearing, and then sometime later I'd notice they did NOT match, LOL! change from purple/blue to pink/purple shades

My buying story that started out badly was a venetian bead necklace - I was so excited to see the beads (was a poor photo on the listing so I wasn't sure about condition) that I opened in the post office - removed from package and the string broke and the beads bounced and scattered all over the post office (graduated beads, so had to find them ALL). I wasn't even sure I had found them all until I restrung and was so happy to confirm none were missing (and none even broke!).

@goaldeelocks 

Ohh I bet those are beautiful..

I love purple and the only thing better is color change & purple. LOL

I am so happy you found all the beads and were able to restring them.

That would be a big disappointment., I can see them bouncing & rolling all over. Yikes. I know when I thought the vase was crushed, I was devastated. 

My husband said: Just order another one- /eye-roll.

I don't think he has a clue LOL He did say it was lovely when he saw it, intact. 

Thank you for sharing your story. 

~Pika~

Message 9 of 29
latest reply

@pikabo-icu 

Don't scare me like that again.  🤣

Message 10 of 29
latest reply

@pikabo-icu Thank you for sharing your story, I love it for several reasons.

I love that your seller packaged the vase properly. I have been shipping sets of glass ware many times over the years and not once have any arrived broken, but I also mummify them in bubble wrap and use two boxes. 

I love that you took the blame/responsibility on yourself and not blaming the innocent seller. Kudos to you and you have created your own good Karma with that. Your first thought was to leave positive FB rather then become immersed in anger. 

I love that you used this as a teachable moment for your son. He is innocent due to his age and inexperience with life. As the parent you took the opportunity to make this into a lesson for him and taught him how best to handle. This is why the Universe paid you back so quickly by making the light bulb the shattered item. 

Thank you again for posting and I send you the best of luck....

Message 11 of 29
latest reply

That is a Beautiful vase.  

Message 12 of 29
latest reply

@gosimus lol sign & smiley.gif

@lamber9347  "This is why the Universe paid you back so quickly by making the light bulb the shattered item." 

That actually makes a lot of sense.. I was so convinced it was the vase, just certain.. So perhaps you are right.. Whatever the reason I was grateful for the miracle that the vase was intact. 

Thank you so much for your kind post. 

~Pika~

Message 13 of 29
latest reply

My wife collects Christmas ornaments. Years ago I was looking at buying her a Kugel and was researching the difference between authentic and later reproductions as well as what she'd like vs what I could afford.

I came across a seller who had a few to choose from and I asked him a couple of questions.  He was very knowledgeable and shared what he knew willingly. Then he suggested, "why don't I send some to you to check over. You can buy the ones you want (through an eBay listing) and return the ones that you don't want."

To my surprise, a package arrived containing several antique Kegels. I'm still in a bit of disbelief that someone would mail a couple hundred dollars worth of items to a complete stranger. While I don't recommend any seller do that, it worked out brilliantly in this case. They were fantastic and I bought them all. She loved them and still has them.

VintageCarMagazines

Message 14 of 29
latest reply

@vintage-car-magazines What a wonderful husband you are.. Good for you..

It wasn't that long ago that we could send items on approval like that- that people were mostly trustworthy..

I miss those days.. 

~Pika~

Message 15 of 29
latest reply