cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suspicious Activity

As a Buyer you may see an item listed at "too good to be true" prices & you can't help yourself, you buy it.

I was braced for the possibility that the sale wouldn't be fulfilled & I'd need to get a refund or maybe receive a fake or different item but instead I got exactly what was posted. 

Sounds good, right?

Well....

I purchased a 6pk of cat topical flea meds at a ridiculously low price of $21  (about $40 below retail and $20 - $30 below regular resale).  The item was drop shipped next day from a well known pet site.  Even at the best sale/coupon combo, the order should have been $30 + more. This made me suspicious.

I'm now wondering if the eBay Seller has hacked someone's account at that site or is using a stolen credit card.

I tried reporting on eBay but can't find a way to report the possible fraudulent activity. I also contacted the pet web site & was told they did not have a fraud department. I gave them all the info I could but they seemed uninterested in the possible criminal activity.

I feel like I should do more. I have had my credit card stolen once & it was a nightmare to work out 😞

Has anyone else bought something they felt may have been stolen? What did you do? Any suggestions on what else I could do?

Message 1 of 21
latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

Re: Suspicious Activity

The product is just fine. It is a brand name item, sealed & shipped from a well known pet website. The issue here was that it was shipped from another website & not from a private seller. The item itself is not suspicious. 

Message 16 of 21
latest reply

@simba6 wrote:

@heathersthriftyfinds09 wrote:

The item was drop shipped next day from a well known pet site.  Even at the best sale/coupon combo, the order should have been $30 + more. This made me suspicious. 

Has anyone else bought something they felt may have been stolen? What did you do? Any suggestions on what else I could do?

I would not trust it. It could be very dangerous for your pet.  It's not worth the risk.

Too good to be true, always is.

That pet product arrived from the actual retailer. Did you notice that?

My order at eBay arrived from Home Depot @heathersthriftyfinds09 with a receipt listing multiple gift and debit cards were used to pay more than I paid. It's just past the holiday season, so many sellers may be spending their holiday presents to cover drop shipping, so other than the practice, the payment itself is not nefarious.

Message 17 of 21
latest reply

@nh7235 this wasn't the case of someone using up gift cards. The Seller had more than 100 available and was selling at a cost $30 below the actual cost on the website.  Also, the Seller is no longer active on eBay. It was a scam. They weren't scamming the Buyers as we got the item we purchased but they were scamming someone. 

Message 18 of 21
latest reply

@heathersthriftyfinds09 wrote:

The Seller had more than 100 available and was selling at a cost $30 below the actual cost on the website. 

Also, the Seller is no longer active on eBay. It was a scam. 

Um, list more than quantity 100 available, then go inactive when you @heathersthriftyfinds09 run out of gift cards, regardless how many are still shown as available? To stop selling is not a scam.

an36344_0-1679558172837.jpeg

Drop shipping from e.g. a well-known pet supplies retailer however, is not allowed on eBay.

Message 19 of 21
latest reply

"As a Buyer you may see an item listed at "too good to be true" prices & you can't help yourself, you buy it".

As a buyer when I see a very low or too good to be true price, my scam antenna goes up, and I take notice.   I start digging into the seller's feedback profile to see if there are signs of a hi-jacked account, or major changes in their selling habits. There are things that can be looked for that can indicate that there could be problems.

Things like a seller whose account shows no selling or possibly buying feedback for one or more years. with one or two purchases in the last 6 months. Whose previous sales were for things like household items. Now suddenly listing new item with multiple quantities available, at below trending prices.   

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 20 of 21
latest reply

Sorry -- my policy is this:  If I see a "too good to be true" item listed on eBay or any other site where I cannot examine the item in person, I just pass.  Maybe I've missed some truly great deals in the past, but I know I've also bypassed some headaches.

If it were at a garage sale, sure, I might buy it because I am seeing it in person, but on line, no thanks.  

Message 21 of 21
latest reply