cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sponsored Items Included as Part of Search Results When Including Item Description

A quick example.

• Search term is: Halo 5
  • "Include Description" is checked
  • One result is Madden NFL Playstation 2 Games (lot of 6) - Free shipping- No Reserve (283824028902)
  • In analyzing this particular listing, the only place I noticed the word "Halo" was in the Sponsored Listings section.

Would this type of result represent expected behavior? While I understand that Ebay's search algorithm will show expanded (read: undesired) results when boolean operators would not be used, for it to show a sports game result---a genre I have no history of viewing in years---seems odd. Thus, I suspect that Sponsored Listings are being considered as part of the description.

For reference, I had conducted the same search (Halo 5) the previous day, hence why it likely showed up within Sponsored Results section.

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

Re: Sponsored Items Included as Part of Search Results When Including Item Description

@press-start-gaming-electronics,

With sponsored listings, sellers are paying an extra fee to get extra exposure. Therefore, they are included in search results whether they meet the terms of the search or not. They do try to make sure that the sponsored listings are at least somewhat related, in your example they are games, even if they don't include the exact keyword you requested: "halo". This will happen whether you include descriptions in the search or not.

eBay search is not boolean, and hasn't been for years, since they invented their own "Best Match" search. This is a proprietary search algorithm, which they do not provide details for.  Ostensibly, to prevent sellers from gaming the system and unfairly gaining search exposure.

I'm not saying that I like this practice, or that I agree with it. But you asked if it was "expected behavior", and yes, it is.

FYI, if you change the sort order to something like lowest price, or nearest first, you will still see sponsored listings among the search, even if they don't fit the sort order you requested. I don't like that either, but that's how it is.

One way to try to defeat (or limit) the search expansion is to exclude a random keyword, for example < -octopus > in your search. This may cut down on some irrelevent results, but it probably won't exclude the sponsored listings.

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

Re: Sponsored Items Included as Part of Search Results When Including Item Description

@press-start-gaming-electronics 

May not be exactly on point here, but if you'd prefer not to see sponsored listings, you may be interested in using an ad blocker app/extension to filter them out. Mine does.

Message 3 of 3
latest reply